PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question

BLSnared
02-03-10, 12:49 AM
Assume one is accepted and completes the first portion of the Platoon Leader's Course during the summer of their Freshman/Sophmore year. I hear that one of the "advantages" of PLC is that one doesn't have any course curriculum throughout the duration of one's normal academic year. What if one views this as a disadvantage? Haha. Is there something Marine Corps-related that an Officer Candidate can participate in while in interim? Is drilling with a Reserve unit a possibility? I was told by a Lieutenant Colonel that went through the program that he drilled with a Reserve unit, but that was also 30 years ago.

If the Reserve business is factual, what would the position of the OC be?

I appreciate all assistance and courtesy in advance. Thank you.

NCOPOWER
02-03-10, 01:00 AM
Before someone else says it I will tell you. You should fill out your profile.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-03-10, 01:14 AM
No course curriculum? Perhaps it's a dumb question, but then what would you do the whole semester? Just go to PLC and that's it?

FYI though, if you are in the reserves, as a drilling reservist, you stand a chance of being deployed with that unit.

BLSnared
02-03-10, 01:15 AM
I meant you don't have any Military Science (like ROTC) curriculum throughout the year. That's why I said you continue with a normal academic load.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-03-10, 01:19 AM
Ahh, OK. Thanks for that clarification. Quite frankly, I'd check with an OSO to see what the current requirements/standards are. They would be the best source of information. And it might vary from school to school as well.

BLSnared
02-03-10, 01:21 AM
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the input.

I'm meeting with an OSO this upcoming Tuesday so I guess I really didn't NEED to post on here, the anticipation just got the best of me. You know how it is...

Sgt Leprechaun
02-03-10, 01:24 AM
Yep. And it's an interesting question. Do us all a favor and post what they tell you on here so the next potential officer candidate has the answer!

(And thanks for promptly filling out your profile...)

BLSnared
02-03-10, 01:25 AM
Will do.

josephd
02-03-10, 03:15 AM
This will all depend on where you go to school and if they offer any sort of ROTC program.

I go to Arizona State for example and they do not offer any sort of military training/related classes so the answer to your question would be no.

As far as drilling goes that all depends on your OSO, I believe after your first OCS increment after freshmen/sophomore year and after your juniors before you actually commission you are able to drill with your local reserve unit but it is not required.

And to my knowledge, to correct Sgt. Leprechaun, even if you are a drilling enlisted reservist and then get a PLC/OCS contract you may be required to drill still but you are not deployable, your job at that point is to strictly go to school to earn your commission.

I think alot of this depends also on if you are taking financial aid or not. If you are then you are required to fulfill 6 years of AD service to the Corps and that would put you under contract to certain duties also.

It has been a few years since I had my PLC package so some things may have changed. Talk with your OSO

Sgt Leprechaun
02-05-10, 11:26 PM
Thanks for that correction. Good to know that.