PDA

View Full Version : uh-oh..PT questions..

bquick13
02-02-10, 01:08 PM
Marines, I have come to realize I am in terrible, terrible shape. I tried to do some running today and dang, I did not pace myself though I started b*lls out, and who ever said your lungs wear out before your legs was not lying. I ran about 3/4 of a mile in about 6 minutes, but it was sprinting and I got extremely winded, sit ups I'm pretty good at, push-ups I have always lacked skill in badly. What are some ways to get in shape? I'm not looking to do it today and be in shape tommorrow, I am willing to learn to pace myself. Cause I screwed up going all out on that running today, didn't warm up or nothing, it would have been just wonderful if I injured myself.

Lisa 23
02-02-10, 01:23 PM
Ut-oh....doesn't anyone know how to use the search bar? :evilgrin: You'll find that the search bar here on Leatherneck can be a great tool if you use it FIRST before making a post on a topic that's already been covered, and also try google, that's a great feature, too!

You'll find that this topic has been covered in the poolee forum, and I know that you're not a poolee yet and you can't post there, but you can look.

Whats Your PT???
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87856

Track workout to improve conditioning
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92843

Hanzo
02-02-10, 01:24 PM
What kind of 'shape' are you trying to get into? Are you enlisting or is this just general physical fitness that you're after?

SGT7477
02-02-10, 01:28 PM
:thumbup:
Ut-oh....doesn't anyone know how to use the search bar? :evilgrin: You'll find that the search bar here on Leatherneck can be a great tool if you use it FIRST before making a post on a topic that's already been covered, and also try google, that's a great feature, too!

You'll find that this topic has been covered in the poolee forum, and I know that you're not a poolee yet and you can't post there, but you can look.

Whats Your PT???
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87856

Track workout to improve conditioning
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92843
:thumbup: Semper Fidelis.

bquick13
02-02-10, 01:29 PM
What kind of 'shape' are you trying to get into? Are you enlisting or is this just general physical fitness that you're after?
I apoligize WMarine, I always forget its there.!

Hanzo, as of right now if all my MEPS stuff checks out, I am enlisting and going for something in the aviation field of the Marine Corps, I wanna show the zoomies, Marines can do their job, better than they can! :evilgrin:

Wyoming
02-02-10, 04:05 PM
I apoligize WMarine, I always forget its there.!

Hanzo, as of right now if all my MEPS stuff checks out, I am enlisting and going for something in the aviation field of the Marine Corps, I wanna show the zoomies, Marines can do their job, better than they can! :evilgrin:

What are zoomies?

BR34
02-02-10, 04:11 PM
I wanna show the zoomies, Marines can do their job, better than they can! :evilgrin:

Zoomies can outrun you.

To get into running shape you have to run. Doesn't matter how fast, just run. Even running slowly will get you in shape. Hell, just moving is a good idea. Power walk if you get too tired to go on. The key is to just keep moving.

hussaf
02-02-10, 04:27 PM
The only way to get good a pushups is to do many of them. Pull ups are the same and are very important as you are tested on them. Vary running. Do both four mile runs to build leg and hip flexor muscles as well as strengthen your lungs and heart. Do quarter or half mile sprints to really build your lungs and heart as well as burn fat/calories, and build up some natural speed.

Phantom Blooper
02-02-10, 04:43 PM
Zoomies can outrun you.

Hell after pulling an all night drunk back in the day some of us grunt zombies had a better run time than that.

Before you start referring to another branch of the service....by slang names...earn a military title and rank.....derrrogatory statements about another branch of service by wannabees is taboo.

Run your azz off...not your mouth!:evilgrin:

zx6rdr
02-02-10, 04:53 PM
http://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/images/fat_people.jpg

TunTvrnWarrior
02-02-10, 05:26 PM
http://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/images/fat_people.jpg

You are a sick puppy ZX6RDR! You made me laugh!

bquick13, hussaf just gave you the best advice. Ditch the sodas for good. Drink lots of water and stay hydrated.

bquick13
02-02-10, 05:53 PM
Yeah, thats the thing when you aren't "over weight" you take it for granted. I'm 5'11 (and a half) ha, and weigh about 150, im just way outta shape, when I played basket ball for my private school in ninth grade I was 5'6 maybe and weighed 155, and I super shape, then I switched to public school, in the first 3 months there, I got the flu, strep, and food poisoning. I lost 25 pounds in about two weeks. ( Going from a school of 30, to 1500, my immune system wasn't where it should be.) Then shortly after thats when I had all that trouble with a friend, and having those problems aren't good for your mind, they drag you down mentally, and if your mind isn't fit your body isn't. At one point I remember being 5'10 and weighing 124. That was about a year and a half ago. When the most physical thing your doing is moving sound equipment for concerts, and thats just some weekends, that isn't to much. I guess I need to get out and be more active, way more active.

bquick13
02-02-10, 05:56 PM
Hell after pulling an all night drunk back in the day some of us grunt zombies had a better run time than that.

Before you start referring to another branch of the service....by slang names...earn a military title and rank.....derrrogatory statements about another branch of service by wannabees is taboo.

Run your azz off...not your mouth!:evilgrin:

Sorry Phantom, my bestfriend is in the air force, I just like to pick on her, maybe I got used to it.

Phantom Blooper
02-02-10, 05:58 PM
No problem....just go out and PT and bquick about it!:evilgrin:

TunTvrnWarrior
02-02-10, 06:00 PM
Yeah, thats the thing when you aren't "over weight" you take it for granted. I'm 5'11 (and a half) ha, and weigh about 150, im just way outta shape, when I played basket ball for my private school in ninth grade I was 5'6 maybe and weighed 155, and I super shape, then I switched to public school, in the first 3 months there, I got the flu, strep, and food poisoning. I lost 25 pounds in about two weeks. ( Going from a school of 30, to 1500, my immune system wasn't where it should be.) Then shortly after thats when I had all that trouble with a friend, and having those problems aren't good for your mind, they drag you down mentally, and if your mind isn't fit your body isn't. At one point I remember being 5'10 and weighing 124. That was about a year and a half ago. When the most physical thing your doing is moving sound equipment for concerts, and thats just some weekends, that isn't to much. I guess I need to get out and be more active, way more active.

Ease into your physical fitness program. You wont have that luxury in boot camp. Dont look at the finish line right now, set small goals and attain them, and go for bigger goals as you progress, it is a lot healthier that way. Dont get discouraged, just push yourself to the next goal. You will get there!

zx6rdr
02-02-10, 06:42 PM
[quote=TunTvrnWarrior;600735]You are a sick puppy ZX6RDR! You made me laugh! [quote]

Who me??????? ;)

bquick13
02-02-10, 07:31 PM
Well, got another mile down, so thats 1 3/4 today, and 2 tommorrow. Not much, but bette than nothing, and it gives me something to improve upon. Marines are there any workouts with weights that will help my push ups?

Lisa 23
02-02-10, 07:33 PM
I know this is the Ask A Marine forum, but try doing a google search first. You'll find lots out there.
Try military (dot)com/fitness center....I did it this way because the site won't come up if I copy and paste it.

bquick13
02-02-10, 07:50 PM
Thanks WMarine, Sorry I'm draining y'all dry, its just such a wealth of knowledge here!

Lisa 23
02-02-10, 07:52 PM
It's great to help you all out, but just try some research on your own, then...if you can't find what you're looking for...ask. :thumbup:

hussaf
02-02-10, 09:50 PM
No. You should be able to do pushups well before you get into weights. At the same time, don't forget triceps as well as your chest when doing pushups (core as well). Dips are a great workout. Maybe do rotator cuff movements with like 10 or fifteen pound plates in your hand. This will help you have better posture and work those stabilizer muscles...all important in pushing motions. Google many types of pushups; do bursting pushups, throw your feet up on a bench...hands on the floor, and as you go down bring one of your knees to your elbow (repeat, etc); put your hand on a towel in the pushup position...as you push up, slide the towel hand to the non towel hand and switch sides; another good one...do bursting pushups off a medicine ball, one hand on the ball, one on the floor. either roll the ball from one hand to the other, or center your feet in line with the ball with one side of your body offset and as you burst up, push your body to the other side of the ball to use opposite hand. Right then, have fun with all that. Oh yeah, and don't make excuses...no one in the Marine Corps will ever want to hear them, even if they are legitimate (in a training environment, at least...should be different FMF, but don't start things off with that MO). good luck