PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in the Corps

proudwifeLD
02-01-10, 12:38 PM
My husband served 4 years and two overseas deployments with the Corps and then we tried our hand at civilian life and hated it! He went reserves and it just wasn't the same. After losing his job we decided that nothing was holding us back from rejoining but the corps stopped taking prior service so he had to go army:thumbdown! He hates it and wants to know if there is ANY way for him to get back in the corps!! He is on his 3rd deployment and is really having a hard time with the relaxed (to say the least) attitudes of the army!! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!! We miss our corps life....:(

SGT7477
02-01-10, 01:40 PM
I guess I don't know what to say about the army of none there is just nothing like being a Marine thru and thru, Good Luck.

KingJoe3rd
02-01-10, 02:17 PM
My husband served 4 years and two overseas deployments with the Corps and then we tried our hand at civilian life and hated it! He went reserves and it just wasn't the same. After losing his job we decided that nothing was holding us back from rejoining but the corps stopped taking prior service so he had to go army:thumbdown! He hates it and wants to know if there is ANY way for him to get back in the corps!! He is on his 3rd deployment and is really having a hard time with the relaxed (to say the least) attitudes of the army!! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!! We miss our corps life....:(

im pretty sure the corps hasn't stopped taking prior service, whoever told him that was full of it.

brian0351
02-02-10, 12:42 AM
He enlisted in the Army...so he has to finish up that contract first.

Then he needs to contact a Marine recruiter about his options. I DO know that there was a huge rush to fill ranks because the Marines went from 174k to 204k. Now they are at the high mark so it is a little trickier to get in.

William Hardy
02-02-10, 06:29 AM
He can get an "interservice transfer" if he applies to the proper programs. For example, I almost applied as a Warrant Officer in the Army. The Corps agreed to release me and allow me to join the Army if I was approved . . . I changed my mind. Anyway, that was 30 yers ago, but they still allow swapping if you can improve your position. He might want to see if he can apply for WO in the Corps and get a release from the Army.

proudwifeLD
02-02-10, 09:53 AM
Thank you all for your suggestion I hope we will be able to pull this off!

proudwifeLD
02-02-10, 09:58 AM
im pretty sure the corps hasn't stopped taking prior service, whoever told him that was full of it.

Who knows...but I am pretty sure that they did stop taking prior service along with the Navy and at the time the Army was on the brink of doing the same but we were able to make it in there before they fallowed suit! They said it was because they had such a huge number of prior service trying to get back in the military because of the horrible economy!

samthomas
02-02-10, 10:18 AM
He enlisted in the Army...so he has to finish up that contract first.

:thumbup:

He should focus on making the best of his current situation. How long does he have left in the Army? Once his time is up, he might contact a Marine recruiter to discuss his options, but it would probably be better for him to stay where he is...

Supersquishy
02-02-10, 10:27 AM
Have him transfer into a SF unit, those Dogs are good to go.

Juicemang
02-02-10, 12:16 PM
If your husband was in the SMCR, it should not have been an issue for him to go active. I'm not sure who told you what, but Select Marine Corps Reservists are just a few pieces of paper away from transferring to active duty.

samthomas
02-02-10, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure who told you what, but Select Marine Corps Reservists are just a few pieces of paper away from transferring to active duty.

What is the process for someone in that situation?

KingJoe3rd
02-03-10, 03:12 PM
What is the process for someone in that situation?

well, ill give you an example from what the IRR recruiter told me and what i plan to do in April. Im currently in the IRR and i have been since Nov 2006. I have been told that i can join a unit in my home town (one of two units within decent driving distance that will take an 0311) and that all i have to do is stay there and request active duty. they do require that you have at least 1 year left on your IRR contract, which i don't so i have to sign an extension. now problems that i have seen friends run into is the lack of options for going back to active duty. its a take it or leave it kind of thing; example, they will probably tell me i can go to an active grunt batallion or i can stay in there reserve unit.

hope i was helpful.:banana:

rufio14
02-24-10, 10:25 PM
I have been wondering this same thing. My case is a bit unique though. I went to bootcamp and MCT and then got a DD214 so I could take the NROTC Marine Option Scholarship. I want to go to active duty asap. I plan on getting a hold of my recruiter this week. So would I be considered prior service or what? I mean it haven't gone to a MOS school so its not like i'd be going right to the operating forces...could I be just put into an open slot at a MOS school? Any help would be apriciated but i know I just pretty much have to go to a recruiter. Thanks gents and/or ladies. Semper Fi!

egbutler1
02-25-10, 03:14 AM

Volunteer for an IRR mobilization well a bit to late for that now I guess.