PDA

View Full Version : Planning on meeting a recruiter tommorrow..

bquick13
01-31-10, 02:32 PM
Hey Marines, and guys & gals (poolees and wannabes), I'm gonna try to schedule my first meeting with a Marine recruiter tomorrow. Kinda nervous. Is there anything I should know? What is he gonna ask me? What do I need to tell him? Will I have to take my asvab over again since I went with a NG recruiter, and marked National Guard? I should get those scores from my asvab tomorrow.

Chase

Lisa 23
01-31-10, 02:36 PM
Hey guys & gals,
How about saying...."hey Marines"...not hey guys and gals. :evilgrin:

bquick13
01-31-10, 02:36 PM
Also if I do pass all my meps and stuff, since I'm planning to go reserve and go to college and ROTC, how quick can I ship to Bootcamp? I know you can ship asap in the army, what about Marines?

bquick13
01-31-10, 02:41 PM
How about saying...."hey Marines"...not hey guys and gals. :evilgrin:

WMarine, in all seriousness, have you considered becoming a D.I. ? You get people in line quick! :thumbup:

Lisa 23
01-31-10, 02:46 PM
That's Drill Instructor to you, not DI. :evilgrin:

Yes, I was going to go to Drill Instructor school to become a Drill Instructor just like my brother, who's a retired Marine GySgt and former Drill Instructor.

Lisa 23
01-31-10, 02:50 PM
Maybe this might help you......

Meeting the Recruiter
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/recruiter2.htm

bquick13
01-31-10, 03:14 PM
Thanks WMarine.

Another question of ethics. (if thats the right way to put it.)

As I mentioned in a different post if I join the Marine Corps, or any military branch for that matter, my Fiance will be leaving me because its a "death wish". Right now, joining the military is something I feel very strongly about, like I said all I want is to better myself. I love this girl to death. But she cheated on me earlier this month. If she did that while I'm here, while I'm gone for 12 weeks theres no telling what would go on. I try to be a man of my word, and stand by her like I told her would.

If I join to better myself, and she leaves me because of it does that make me a bad person, for breaking my word?

Integrity is important for me, thats another reason I like the Marine Corps.

Chase

Lisa 23
01-31-10, 03:21 PM
In my opinion, NO it doesn't make you a bad man. You're only 18 and don't need that kind of crap holding you down while you're in boot camp. When and if you do go to Marine Corps boot camp, you'll need to focus on everything you're doing every day. Worrying about whether or not your girlfriend is cheating on you back home will only be a distraction, and crap happens when you're distracted.
Just a suggestion, maybe it's time to tell her...'Hey, it's been nice, but it's time for me to move on with my life, and whether you want to be a part of my life and me joining the military is totally up to you. If you want to, that's great; if not, it's been nice knowing you."

FattyTheFerret
01-31-10, 03:53 PM
To the best of my knowledge, your ASVAB score is good for six months and it's good regardless of what branch you were previously looking at. Pretty much everyone goes to the same MEPS. Doesn't hurt to take it again if you think you can get a better score, in my opinion.

As for what you should tell your recruiter: everything. If they ask a question, answer honestly. Used to smoke pot? Tell him. It's a lot easier for them to work with things they know than to fix it if you get caught in a lie later.

Rocky C
01-31-10, 04:04 PM
In my opinion, NO it doesn't make you a bad man. You're only 18 and don't need that kind of crap holding you down while you're in boot camp. When and if you do go to Marine Corps boot camp, you'll need to focus on everything you're doing every day. Worrying about whether or not your girlfriend is cheating on you back home will only be a distraction, and crap happens when you're distracted.
Just a suggestion, maybe it's time to tell her...'Hey, it's been nice, but it's time for me to move on with my life, and whether you want to be a part of my life and me joining the military is totally up to you. If you want to, that's great; if not, it's been nice knowing you."

:usmc::thumbup::usmc:

bquick13
01-31-10, 05:34 PM
To the best of my knowledge, your ASVAB score is good for six months and it's good regardless of what branch you were previously looking at. Pretty much everyone goes to the same MEPS. Doesn't hurt to take it again if you think you can get a better score, in my opinion.

Thats a good point, depending on what I hear about my score I may be going back and taking the asvab again. I didn't know I was taking my asvab until the day before, it kind of fell into my lap. So np study time, plus being out of school for nine months, it was rough. English was my strong point in school, math not so much. But we'll see. Thanks for all the advice Marines. I've got my pen and notepad, and I'm ready to take some notes. I'm all ears.

Lisa 23
01-31-10, 05:53 PM
Maybe this will help you out about the ASVAB...........

ABC's of the ASVAB
Re-Testing

You can’t actually “fail” the ASVAB, but you can “fail” to achieve a high enough AFQT score (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/afqtscore.htm) to enlist in the service you want. If this happens that means your AFQT score was too low which — in turn means you need to work on one (or more) of four areas: math knowledge skills, arithmetic reasoning skills, reading comprehension skills, and word knowledge skills. These are the four subtests which are used to calculate your AFQT score. Parts II and III of this book are specifically designed to help you improve your scores on these four subtests.
Once you’re sure that you are ready, you can apply (through your recruiter) for a retest.

Minimum Waiting Times

ASVAB test are valid for two years, as long as you are not in the military. In most cases, once your join the military, your ASVAB scores remain valid as long as you are in. In other words, except in a few cases, you can use your enlistment ASVAB scores to qualify for retraining years later.
After you take an initial ASVAB test (taking the ASVAB in high school does not count as an initial test), you can retake the test after 30 days. After the retest, you must wait at least six months before taking the ASVAB again.

When you retake the ASVAB, it’s not your highest score that counts, but rather the score on your latest test. If you score lower on the retest, that is the score which will be used for your military enlistment.

When you can/cannot re-take the test

The bad news is that you can’t retake the ASVAB on a whim or whenever you simply feel like it. Each of the services has its own rules concerning whether or not they will allow a retest:

Army: The Army will allow a retest only if the applicant’s previous ASVAB test has expired, or the applicant failed to achieve an AFQT score (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/AFQT%20score) high enough to qualify for enlistment, or when unusual circumstances occur, such as if an applicant, through no fault of his or her own, is unable to complete the test. For example, an applicant is called away from test because of an emergency. Army recruiters are not allowed to schedule a retest for the sole purpose of increasing scores in order to qualify for enlistment incentives, job qualifications, or other special enlistment programs.

Air Force: The Air Force does not allow retesting applicants after they have enlisted in the Delayed Entry Program (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep.htm) (DEP). Current policy allows retesting of applicants who are not holding a job/aptitude area reservation and/or are not in DEP, but already have a qualifying AFQT score. Retesting is authorized when the applicant’s current line scores (job qualification scores) limit the ability to match an Air Force skill with his or her qualifications.

Navy: The Navy allows retesting of applicants who's previous ASVAB test has expired, or if the applicant fails to achieve a qualifying AFQT score (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/afqtscore.htm) for enlistment in the Navy. In most cases, individuals in the DEP (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep.htm) cannot re-test. One notable exception is the Navy's DEP Enrichment Program. This program provides for the provisional DEP enlistment of high school diploma graduates with AFQT scores between 28 and 30. Individuals enlisted under the program are enrolled in academic enhancement training, retested with the ASVAB, and accessed onto active duty provided they score 31 or higher on the subsequent ASVAB re-test.

Marine Corps: The Marine Corps will authorize a retest if the applicant’s previous test is expired. Otherwise, recruiters can request a retest as long as the retesting is being required because the initial scores (considering the applicant's education, training, and experience) do not appear to reflect his or her true capability. Additionally, the retest cannot be requested solely because the applicants initial test scores did not meet the standards prescribed for specific military job qualification.

Coast Guard: For Coast Guard enlistments, six months must elapse since an applicant's last test before he or she may retest solely for the purpose of raising scores to qualify for a particular enlistment option. The Coast Guard Recruiting Center may authorize retesting after 30 days have passed from an initial ASVAB test if substantial reason exists to believe the initial AFQT score (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/afqtscore.htm) or subtest scores do not reflect an applicant's education, training or experience.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/asvabretest.htm

bquick13
01-31-10, 08:48 PM
I got another dumb question for ya'll.. Medical care in the military, my NG recruiter said he pays 75 dollars a month for health insurance, I thought military personel health care was free?

Lisa 23
01-31-10, 08:52 PM
How about taking one step at a time. Meet with your recruiter and take it form there. You're getting way ahead of yourself here.

bquick13
01-31-10, 08:54 PM
Ha. WMarine, I'm starting to think so too. I haven't even sworn in yet and I'm ready to take on the world. :evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
01-31-10, 11:27 PM
NG recruiter said he pays 75 dollars a month for health insurance

Tricare.....

:evilgrin:

bquick13
02-01-10, 12:12 AM
Thanks for everything Marines! I will let you know how everything goes tommorrow. Once again, Thanks Marines, and not just for answering my questions.

brian0351
02-01-10, 01:34 AM
Thanks WMarine.

Another question of ethics. (if thats the right way to put it.)

As I mentioned in a different post if I join the Marine Corps, or any military branch for that matter, my Fiance will be leaving me because its a "death wish". Right now, joining the military is something I feel very strongly about, like I said all I want is to better myself. I love this girl to death. But she cheated on me earlier this month. If she did that while I'm here, while I'm gone for 12 weeks theres no telling what would go on. I try to be a man of my word, and stand by her like I told her would.

If I join to better myself, and she leaves me because of it does that make me a bad person, for breaking my word?

Integrity is important for me, thats another reason I like the Marine Corps.

Chase

As someone who's been there done that and has a few T-Shirts, I can safely say. "#$%^ that Bi0tch!"

Lets just glide over the *****ish act of cheating on someone but to leave you because you made a life decision she doesn't want you to make?

"Hey Im going to Harvard!" - "Well I'm gonna leave you because it's too far away!"

"Hey I'm gonna go volunteer at the orphanage" - "Well I'm gonna leave you because you won't spend enough time with me"

"Hey, lets get some McDonalds" - "Well I'm gonna leave you because I want Burger King"

Yes you may "love" this girl but she is a selfish ***** who will end up dragging you down. I've seen it 100's of time...and that is NOT an exaggeration.

And don't confuse love with your basic mammalian instinct to chase free poon. Love is about trust and respect. It is about supporting your partner in all their endeavors. Which is everything she is not.

Stay away from her before something stupid happens like you getting her preggo or catching an STD and then your really phucked.

commdog7
02-01-10, 01:59 AM
Your asvab score is good for 2 years, but if you want to take it again for a better score, you have to wait 6 months.

When I first took the asvab with my high school, I scored a 56. I underestimated the time allotted for each section. So I took it again a few months later, scored an 82. The recruiter told me I had to stick with the 56 since I had taken it a second time within 6 months. It hurt when mos selection came around, I ended up gambling with an open contract and getting radio operator. I could've had any mos I wanted with that 82.... :(

haebyungdae
02-01-10, 04:08 AM
See if you can get a break out of your ASVAB score into what your MM, CT, GT, etc individual scores are. These are the scores that will make or break what kind of job you can have in the military. Your old recruiter should have that breakout and your new recruiter should have access to that. If you are serious about going into the Marines, the MC recruiter should be able to provide you with a manual that lists all MOSs and their requirements. Access to those individual scores could also let you know where you are weak and where you need to improve should you choose to take the ASVAB again.

bquick13
02-01-10, 12:05 PM
Marines, once again thanks, I am meeting one of your own today at 1300 and well I'll let you know from there, oh and by they way for anyone who read my 'meps' post, I told them about that, when I spoke to them on the phone, and they said it shouldn't be a problem whats so ever.:banana::yes::no:

bquick13
02-01-10, 03:08 PM
Okay, that had to be one of the coolest things ever... Oh, and if MEPS checks out, I can probably ship in JUNE!!!!!!!!! Marines, how has the Marine Corps effected your life? Good decison, bad decision, or best decision ever?

Marine84
02-01-10, 05:43 PM
Best decision ever! I didn't like it enough to stay in longer than my first enlistment but, DAMN! I had soooooooo much fun in those 4 years.

bquick13
02-01-10, 09:29 PM
Also he set me up on a 'practice' asvab, that was quite a bit harder than the real asvab, I scored a 71, he said 31 was passing, whats up with that?

FattyTheFerret
02-01-10, 09:33 PM
It's always seemed a bit ridiculous to me that one can get in with a 31 on the asvab but then again scoring that low really does limit ones MOS choices.

The practice test, if I recall correctly, was barely a dozen questions. Not enough for an accurate gauge, imho. I think it's to weed out the utterly retarded. If you get below a 31 on the practice test you probably have trouble tying your shoes.

Also note that on the real asvab not all of the questions are factored into the AFQT score.

bquick13
02-01-10, 09:40 PM
Fatty, the one I had was about 30 math and 30 english, and I think I had about a minute a question or less. It was on some program they had on the computer, but it wasn't the ************* ones. The math was way more advanced than I had on the asvab, but I'm not that great in math, english was real easy. The recruiter acted shocked, but I was thinking the samething you are.

The higher the score the better MOS choices you get?

those ******* was a websites name. :!:

FattyTheFerret
02-01-10, 10:05 PM
Perhaps a different practice test than the one I took.

Not necessarily "better" MOS choices depending on what an individual wants to do but a lot of the more technical MOSes require minimum scores in different areas of the test. Your GT (general technical) score seems to be one of the most important from looking at various MOS requirements.

bquick13
02-02-10, 11:38 AM
Got my asvab score Marines... I got an 88.

itzs4m
02-02-10, 09:25 PM
That's a really high AVAB score... I believe you're qualified for basically all types of MOS

bquick13
02-02-10, 09:45 PM
Thanks Marine, I'm considering seeing if I can retake it, I less than 24 hours to study, but if I can get something in aviation the way it is, I'll take it.

Lisa 23
02-02-10, 10:12 PM
Thanks Marine, I'm considering seeing if I can retake it, I less than 24 hours to study, but if I can get something in aviation the way it is, I'll take it.

If you just took the ASVAB, you cannot take it again just to get a higher score.
This is from a previous post of mine in this thread......

Minimum Waiting Times

ASVAB test are valid for two years, as long as you are not in the military. In most cases, once your join the military, your ASVAB scores remain valid as long as you are in. In other words, except in a few cases, you can use your enlistment ASVAB scores to qualify for retraining years later.
After you take an initial ASVAB test (taking the ASVAB in high school does not count as an initial test), you can retake the test after 30 days. After the retest, you must wait at least six months before taking the ASVAB again.

When you retake the ASVAB, it’s not your highest score that counts, but rather the score on your latest test. If you score lower on the retest, that is the score which will be used for your military enlistment.

When you can/cannot re-take the test

The bad news is that you can’t retake the ASVAB on a whim or whenever you simply feel like it. Each of the services has its own rules concerning whether or not they will allow a retest:

Marine Corps: The Marine Corps will authorize a retest if the applicant’s previous test is expired. Otherwise, recruiters can request a retest as long as the retesting is being required because the initial scores (considering the applicant's education, training, and experience) do not appear to reflect his or her true capability. Additionally, the retest cannot be requested solely because the applicants initial test scores did not meet the standards prescribed for specific military job qualification.

FattyTheFerret
02-02-10, 10:29 PM
What was your GT score? Anything above 110 will usually qualify you for anything under the sun as far as the ASVAB requirements go.

bquick13
02-03-10, 07:55 AM
I haven't seen any other score, my Marine recruiter is trying to get the line scores and everything.

bquick13
02-03-10, 07:56 AM
If you just took the ASVAB, you cannot take it again just to get a higher score.
This is from a previous post of mine in this thread......

But I only had one day to study. :(

Lisa 23
02-03-10, 08:04 AM
Doesn't matter. If this was a practice test, yeah, but if this was the actual test that counts, then no. You don't get to keep retaking the ASVAB just to get a higher score, doesn't work that way.

FattyTheFerret
02-03-10, 10:29 AM

Once your MOS is assigned your score won't matter again unless you change to another MOS. You can retake it once you're in the service but there are still limits on how many times and how often.

If your 88 qualifies you for everything you want to do then the only thing a higher score is good for is bragging rights. Don't get me wrong, I would love to retake the test without being hungry, sleep deprived and stressed but three points isn't a big enough deal to me. There are more important things to worry about.

bquick13
02-03-10, 02:11 PM
Hey Marines, just wanted to mention me and my fiance did seperate, she's also "never gonna speak to me again" and less than a week later shes already with someone else. I'm kinda bummed about it. My recruiter said don't get married until you're 30 I think he's right. d*mn. Somebody give me a kick in the pants and get moving, I need a morale boost.

echo3oscar1833
02-03-10, 02:59 PM
Hey Marines, just wanted to mention me and my fiance did seperate, she's also "never gonna speak to me again" and less than a week later shes already with someone else. I'm kinda bummed about it. My recruiter said don't get married until you're 30 I think he's right. d*mn. Somebody give me a kick in the pants and get moving, I need a morale boost.

You want a moral boost, I'll give it to you, get the freak over it!!! Ex-Girlfriends, and Ex-Wives are a part of the Corps, get used to it.:marine:

Lisa 23
02-03-10, 03:02 PM
Somebody give me a kick in the pants and get moving, I need a morale boost.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/wmarineluvstaylor/Fun%20Smilies/kickme.gif

brian0351
02-04-10, 05:35 AM
Well now at least you can be there for a guy who is going to get dumped WHILE at boot camp. Happens at Boot Camp ALL THE TIME> You won't have to deal with that kind of drama because you'll be past it.