PDA

View Full Version : a new guy here..

bquick13
01-30-10, 07:21 PM
Hey everyone.. I'm looking for some advice, I would like to join the military. I want to go into the Marine Corps. I am 18 years old, graduated in 2009, and hold a real estate liscense, the fact that I am 18 in that business is a major fault. I want to go back to school, and make the strongest, most well respected person of myself I possibly can. My granddaddy was in the Navy, and I respect that man more than I will most people in my life. Unfortunatley I get seasick, and from what I hear they don't even train with the M16, and thats a major negative. I am talking to a National Guard recruiter. All my friends say the Chair Force, or go active in the army. The recuiter wants me to become an MP. From what I hear from my buddies in the army, mp's are the ones kicking in doors half the time. Kinda scary, considering I had to keep my hand on my wallet during my asvabs. I was looking around the room thinking, "if I get thrown in the sh*t are these the people who I want watching my back?" That answer was HELL NO.

What experiences have you had in the Marines?

Is it wrong to have chill bumps, thinking I could be laying in a "rack" during basic and the last words I utter before sleeping is that phrase, "Goodnight Chesty, where ever you are."

I am nervous about signing the line for any of the services, is that normal?

What about ROTC..? Can I go reserve marine and become an officer?

I'm not looking for a jazzed up story, thats what recruiters are for.

I am new here, sorry if this is the wrong area in the site for this.

Chase

sparkie
01-30-10, 07:25 PM
Keep searching,,,,,,,,

MLMonk
01-30-10, 07:27 PM
PM a mod to have this moved into the "Ask A Marine" forum.

To answer your questions...

No, it's not wrong to feel that, I feel it too.

You can do all 3, be a reservist Marine, go to an NROTC college, and become a Marine officer.

If you get seasick, maybe the Marines might not be for you, but, there is possibly a small chance of being on a boat anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

Lisa 23
01-30-10, 07:29 PM
Open Squad Bay is for Marines only.
You should take the time to fill out all of your profile and read the site rules in the poolee forum, and any other questions you have, should be posted in the Ask A Marine forum.

bquick13
01-30-10, 08:11 PM
Trying to get it moved now, Thanks MLMonk. Also, sorry for posting in the "Marine Only" forum. I understand what "Marine" means to ya'll, and I have not earned that title.

Chase

Integrity57
01-30-10, 08:11 PM
Chase, Sailors do qualify with both the M9 Service Pistol and M-16 as well as the .50 Cal., Navy SeaBees are trained for combat by Marines also.

bquick13
01-30-10, 09:14 PM
Thanks Integrity, I didn't know that. and the whole seasick thing if I land on a boat, I guess I'd just have to deal. (Imprivise, Adapt, and Overcome? ) I have always looked for the easy route in life, and I think its about time to go the hard way. I need some kind of discipline like this. I've looked into the National Guard like I said earlier and the guys in it around here are a big family pretty much, but I am, or almost related to some of these guys, and they aren't the brightest crayolas in the pack. Trust has always been a major issue for me. The "Semper Fi" motto, is an amazing confidence builder in the Marine Corps itself. If I'm in a fire fight, I wanna know the guy next to me knows what he's doing. There's a difference between the NG Infantry, and a Marine Corpsman.
Though I still do find myself nervous about signing up. But then again, I'll have 3 hots and a cot, some of the time, (I understand were not talking Chairforce here.) and I'll always have a fellow Marine watching my back. What is boot camp like? I've heard its hell, but you come out stronger, more confident, more responsible, but I have never known anyone who was in the Marine Corps real well. The reason my granddad said he joined the navy was he didnt like snakes, and didnt wanna sleep in a foxhole with a snake. I kinda like snakes. Is the phsyical part of training bad? I'm out of shape, I'm about 5'11 and 150, but there ain't a whole lotta muscle here, I was told I'd probably come of of army boot camp 20 pounds heavier, but this is the Marine Corps, is basic a whole lot different?

ecfree
01-30-10, 09:27 PM
Trying to get it moved now, Thanks MLMonk. Also, sorry for posting in the "Marine Only" forum. I understand what "Marine" means to ya'll, and I have not earned that title.

Chase
WHO ARE YOU ???????

SmithAdrian
01-30-10, 09:32 PM
Army has basic the Corps has bootcamp...that's fix #1...I'm not a Marine...but I have been to bootcamp so as far as that goes...it's a mental and physical abuse session, but it creates the greatest men and women on this planet. You don't seem to have much confidence in yourself, as you keep saying that you're undisciplined and look for the easy route...I can only tell you as far as bootcamp goes, the Marines will further instruct you if they decide to. You need to build yourself confidence and be 100% sure the Marine Corps is what you want before you sign any papers...the process of getting in, and the time and effort it takes to become a Marine is something only a dedicated person can overcome.

What kind of MOS are you looking for?
What makes you want to become a Marine?
Are you even sure the Military is where you want to be?

Things like that need to go into consideration before you make decisions.

This is just the advice of a former recruit who has seen what happenes to the dedicated fools in bootcamp...they quit, they run, they try to go to MHU, they try all sorts of stupid **** because they realized way too late it wasn't the decision for them.

Good luck wannabe

EDIT: God damn it I thought this was moved already my apologies Marines, I don't rate to be posting here

Lisa 23
01-30-10, 09:37 PM
WHO ARE YOU ???????
Right...who is this person? I guess he/she didn't see the post I made about asking him/her to fill out all of his/her profile.

bquick13
01-30-10, 09:40 PM
Right...who is this person? I guess he/she didn't see the post I made about asking him/her to fill out all of his/her profile.

Under the current circumstances, such as my NG recruiter who started in the Marines, he doesn't want me to got to the marines, but since he was, and maybe on here I would rather just leave it at this.

Chase.

EDIT!!!

Is congress having to aprrove the moving of the thread? Someone help me out.

Lisa 23
01-30-10, 09:44 PM
No one said you had to give your whole life history, just some basic info about yourself, like maybe a first name.

The rules apply to everyone!
[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members

Rule Three when using the words Marine or Corps on this site they will be capitalized at all times!

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15

bquick13
01-30-10, 10:09 PM
No one said you had to give your whole life history, just some basic info about yourself, like maybe a first name.

The rules apply to everyone!
[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members

Rule Three when using the words Marine or Corps on this site they will be capitalized at all times!

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15

Fixed :thumbup:

Chase

Wyoming
01-30-10, 10:14 PM
Under the current circumstances, such as my NG recruiter who started in the Marines, he doesn't want me to got to the marines, but since he was, and maybe on here I would rather just leave it at this.

Chase.

EDIT!!!

Is congress having to aprrove the moving of the thread? Someone help me out.

You see that little exclamation point just to the left and down. If that is punched by someone, reporting your post, re; 'congress', your worries will be over.

Be good and make another post, apolgizing for the disrepectful tone and comment you made.

Then, not only will you get help, but you may last a bit longer.

While you are waiting, go do some pullups, etc., and get a run time. Right now it appears you are more physically fit for other endeavors.

bquick13
01-30-10, 10:18 PM
What kind of MOS are you looking for?
What makes you want to become a Marine?
Are you even sure the Military is where you want to be?

Maybe something in logistics, or infantry. (Sniper would be amazing, but I think you are chosen for that...?)

The name Marine, makes me want to become a Marine. I want to better myself. The people I know that went to the army, air force and national guard, have not bettered themselves.

I'm not sure what my ultimate goal in life is, no. Do I want to be in the military yes. What other way do you get to go to college, go through ROTC, which is the best leadership course in the world! Be able to make yourself a better all around person.

Lisa 23
01-30-10, 10:22 PM
Rule Nine make sure when you post a thread its in the proper forum, you do not rate to post in a Marine forum at any time prior to earning the title. Read the headings over the recruit forums for a guide!

bquick13
01-30-10, 10:27 PM
You see that little exclamation point just to the left and down. If that is punched by someone, reporting your post, re; 'congress', your worries will be over.

Be good and make another post, apolgizing for the disrepectful tone and comment you made.

Then, not only will you get help, but you may last a bit longer.

While you are waiting, go do some pullups, etc., and get a run time. Right now it appears you are more physically fit for other endeavors.

I do apoligize for my tone, that was wrong. Most forums I have been on I am a mod and can move the post as I wish, coming in as a newbie can be some what frustrating. Especcially with a decision like this riding on me. This I something I want, but I am picking up major vibes that my whole family is nervous about my decision. But sometimes you have to buck up and do what you have to do. Any advice on easing their minds?
I also failed to mention if I do decide to sign up, my fiance(sp?) will be leaving me. Our relationship is on the rocks now, but if I pull the trigger she's gone. Even if I join the national guard, she does not support anyone joining any branch, cause its a "death wish." I'm going to have a cigerette and try those pull ups..

Chase.

bquick13
01-30-10, 10:56 PM
finally it was moved!!! thank you