PDA

View Full Version : My MEPS story

geinstrife
01-30-10, 05:11 PM
Hi everybody.

Went to MEPS this week for the physical and ASVAB testing. Blood work, hearing, sight, duck walk, height, weight, urinalysis... everything checked out. Earned a 99 on the ASVAB. I didn't swear in.

But I falsified the medical prescreen and signed it. I was obeying my recruiter like a dolt. Now I know where I stand - I only want to be in the Marines if my superiors know everything about me and still think there's a place for me. Otherwise, I have no business going to boot camp hiding secrets from my own comrades, from my own country.

My swearing-in day has been postponed so I can collect all the medical records I can find.

I'm not really worried about the records. I think based on the records I bring in to my recruiter, I'll have a great chance of getting in still.

But I started sleepwalking again. Last time this was happening was before I was 13.

At home the night before the MEPS trip, I got up out of bed, partly conscious but in a dreamy state, and threw my bed sheets in a pile on the other side of the room. Woke up freezing cold.

Next morning, my alarm woke me up at the hotel. Lo and behold, bed sheets up against the door. Two nights in a row, and since then I've been fine.

Terrible timing, right? Hey, if my recruiter doesn't want to hear about this, I'll tell the people at MEPS the day I'm supposed to swear in and see what happens.

Until then... thoughts?

Rocky C
01-30-10, 05:12 PM
profile ???

Quinbo
01-30-10, 05:18 PM
Picture yourself on a night ambush set at 50% alert. You get up and zombie like wander off into the woods and compromise the whole ambush.

Lisa 23
01-30-10, 05:24 PM
Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission
Mental Health Conditions

Behavioral Disorders

Current or history of conduct (312), or behavior (313) disorders is disqualifying. Recurrent encounters with law enforcement agencies, antisocial attitudes or behaviors are tangible evidence of impaired capacity to adapt to military service and as such are disqualifying.
Current or history of personality disorder (301) is disqualifying. History (demonstrated by repeated inability to maintain reasonable adjustment in school, with employers or fellow workers, or other social groups), interview, or psychological testing revealing that the degree of immaturity, instability, personality inadequacy, impulsiveness, or dependency will likely interfere with adjustment in the Armed Forces is disqualifying.
Current or history of other behavior disorders is disqualifying, including, but not limited to conditions such as the following:

(1) Enuresis (307.6) or encopresis (307.7) after 13th birthday is disqualifying.

(2) Sleepwalking (307.4) after 13th birthday is disqualifying.

(3) Eating disorders (307.5), anorexia nervosa (307.1), bulimia (307.51), or unspecified disorders of eating (307.59) lasting longer than 3 months and occurring after 13th birthday are disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/neurotic.htm

Lisa 23
01-30-10, 05:47 PM
What if You've Already Lied. Is it too Late? <br />
<br />
<br />
So, what if you're already in the Delayed Entry Program (DEP)? Is it too late to tell the truth? No! As a rule, the military never prosecutes...

Sgt Leprechaun
02-01-10, 08:56 PM
Sleepwalking is a permanant DQ, and you WILL sleep walk in recruit training. Stress, exertion, etc etc. <br />
<br />
You'll be promptly discharged. <br />
<br />
I'm afraid you'll have to seek other things in life. ...

geinstrife
02-01-10, 10:59 PM
Thank you for your candidness. I will insist that my prescreen be updated and hear the final verdict straight from the recruiter's mouth so any second thoughts can be settled.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-01-10, 11:04 PM
Good. It takes strength to do THAT, too.

rufio14
02-01-10, 11:14 PM
I had a guy in my platoon in boot camp that slept walked. Several times he would get up and **** in the squad bay...then we had to clean it up. He never admitted that it was him but we all knew. I think our SDI found out too but he didn't do anything. The guy graduated. I ran into him at SOI.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-01-10, 11:23 PM
geinstrife, go with your gut on this one. It takes character to speak up and do the right thing. If you compromise on your enlistment, you will compromise for the rest of your life. Get in college, I have a gut feeling you are going to be very successful in what ever you do.