PDA

View Full Version : MOS's- need advice

USMC2003
08-15-02, 01:17 PM
I am having a hard time trying to figure out what MOS I'd like to sign for. I have to re-take my ASVAB, so I have no scores on which to give you to help me out. If we go "in general" I am bad at mathematical reasoning, science, and mechanics... I can do math, but not well (fractions, percentages, money- those are MY types of math!)... I cannot read maps, and I don't really know North from South. I figure whatever direction I'm facing is North...

I have some musical talent, and some computer skills. I'd like to do something that isn't always boring, but perhaps something relatively easy to master that I can use when I get out of the Corps.

For a 5'2" 105 lb. female- does anyone have ANY suggestions? Or things I should look more in-depth to? I have searched several MOS listing sites, but none of them really gave a good detailed description of what the jobs entailed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sixguns
08-15-02, 04:07 PM
women do not score well in the mechanical and electronics portions of the ASVAB. You should invest in the study guide for the ASVAB. This book is available at many book stores in the reference/resource section. It is approx. $21. It is a sound investment for you because as you know, the better you score on the ASVAB, the better you choices are for MOSs. Do not get so wrapped up in an MOS though. You may get your heart set on a particular MOS and then find that your ASVAB scores do not qualify you for that MOS. Think more about being a Marine and the pride that will come from becoming one of the few, the proud. In this way, you will never get disappointed. Let your recruiter discuss with you your scores and options once you re-test. Just spend you time now studying to get the best possible scores you can!!!

Good luck!

BBStackinWinger
08-15-02, 04:51 PM
As Sixguns has said, don't worry so much about what MOS to contract for but work towards becoming a Marine. I'd be willing to bet that a high percentage of us here were trained in something that wasn't on the top of our wish list because we had no idea what half the MOS's were. The way I look at it, I was a Marine first, a winger second and an aviation ordnanceman third. Good luck in what your future holds.
Winger

USMC2003
08-16-02, 12:54 AM
My first ASVAB expired 8 days ago... I had scored a 73 on that, but don't know how the scores were broken down... all I was told when I signed USAF was that I qualified for any job NOT restricted to females, or restricted due to eye sight or weight lifting limits. (For me, I don't have bad vision, but it's not the greatest, and I could only lift above my head 70lbs weight (good enough for USAF MP if I had wanted! lol)

I will wait to see what I score when I re-take it. Being a Marine IS my first priority, no worries there. I just want to be able to serve to the best of my ability and am trying to find a job that I can do that in... or several jobs so I have options...

Thanks for the advice.