PDA

View Full Version : Going back into the Corps

bmcouat
01-29-10, 10:58 AM
Good afternoon Marines. I am currently about a year into the IRR time, but am wanting to go back into Active Duty, however, my RE Code is/was 4B. I have talked to my former Squadron's Career Planner and the New River/Camp LeJeune Prior Service Recruiter and got two different explanations. The Prior Service Recruiter said absolutely not and that I shouldn't have even been put on IRR even though I wasn't Admin Sep'd. The Career Planner said that the RE Code had nothing to do with being on or not being on IRR, and that I should try calling another Prior Service Recruiter in North Carolina to see if I would request a waiver (since "there are waivers for everything."). After I had explained my situation to the Recruiter, she recommended that I try to submit a package to the Naval Board of Corrections to maybe get the RE Code changed. I know this is lengthy, but I'm just trying to find out what the best approach is and if there is the slightest bit of hope. I have not tried talking to another branch of service yet because I want to see what the Corps says first. If anyone has any info it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and Semper Fi.

Juicemang
01-29-10, 11:19 AM
What unit were you with aboard New River?

There's more to this story than you're telling us. You entered the Corps in 2003, so if you're now in the IRR, you either EAS'd in 2007 or 2008. How are you in the IRR as a private? What kind of trouble did you get into?

bmcouat
01-29-10, 12:13 PM
I was in VMA-223 at Cherry Point and I'm on IRR as a Sgt actually. My EAS was Nov. 08, but was on medical hold until Jan. 09. I admitted to use of marijuana, but never popped on a urinalysis back in Jul. of 04, had an Admin Sep package done on me which was approved but suspended for one year, and upon having no further disciplinary action against me was vacated. I am prepared to do the package for the corrections board, and have contacted my Sqdn 1stSgt (now a SgtMaj) who busted me and former COs and former 223 SgtMaj and they are prepared to go to bat for me again through being witnesses at the board or submitting sworn statements on my be half.

Juicemang
01-29-10, 12:53 PM
Roger, initially you hadn't filled out your profile so you were listed as a private.

You need to get that RE code changed, or else you won't be going back to active duty. Simple as that. I'm not knowledgable on what that all involves, but without a RE-1 or RE-1A code, coming back to active duty is very, very difficult.

Supersquishy
01-29-10, 03:09 PM
without a RE-1 or RE-1A code, coming back to active duty is very, very difficult.

Even with those codes, first class pft, expert rifle range etc etc, its still hard to get back in.

egbutler1
01-29-10, 03:26 PM
RE 4B sorry man, it won't matter who goes to bat for you, your done.

Rocky C
01-29-10, 03:38 PM
<TABLE border=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="50%" colSpan=2>INELIGIBLE TO REENLIST WAIVERS NOT AUTHORIZED AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED</TD></TR><TR><TD>NAVY & USCG</TD><TD>RE-2, RE-3A, RE-3C, RE-4</TD></TR><TR><TD>AIR FORCE</TD><TD>RE-2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 2I, 2J, 2K, 2L, 2M, 2N, 2P, 2Q, 2R, 2S, 2T, 2U, 2V, 2W, 2X, 3S, 3V</TD></TR><TR><TD>ARMY</TD><TD>RE-3C, RE-4, RE-4A, RE-4R</TD></TR><TR><TD>MARINE CORPS</TD><TD>RE-2, RE-2B, RE-2C, RE-3A, RE-3C, RE-3S, RE-4, RE-4B</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Juicemang
01-29-10, 04:01 PM
When is the RE-4B code issued?

spotts
01-29-10, 05:27 PM
When you EAS the seps code is on your paperwork. You know what it is when you go on IRR

Juicemang
01-29-10, 05:46 PM
When you EAS the seps code is on your paperwork. You know what it is when you go on IRR

I wasn't clear. For what reasons do Marines get assigned a RE-4B code?

Lisa 23
01-29-10, 05:52 PM
&lt;TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=&quot;100%&quot; border=0&gt;&lt;TBODY&gt;&lt;TR&gt;&lt;TD colSpan=2&gt; <br />
Military Reenlistment Eligibility (RE) Code&lt;!-- End of Headline --&gt; <br />
&lt;/TD&gt;&lt;/TR&gt;&lt;TR&gt;&lt;TD bgColor=#cc0000 colSpan=2...

spotts
01-29-10, 06:01 PM
That code is usually used for drug abuse

Sgt Leprechaun
02-02-10, 03:57 AM
4B is a perm DQ for reenlistment into ANY branch. As far as submitting your records for correction, unless there is some legal justification (trial error, code given for incorrect reason), your chance of getting an upgrade are extremely, extremely slim. BCNR is LOATHE to overturn original command decisions on RE codes without "good and just" cause.

Even with multiple letters from various and sundry public officials, clergy, 'men of note', etc, the RE code is almost NEVER changed.

Viper8541
02-04-10, 11:12 PM
Hello, <br />
<br />
I got out after 4 years in 05 with an RE-1A. I am trying to reenlist, but I have a question about disability. I've heard that most branches will allow 30%, but the Corps dq's even 10%. I...

Sgt Leprechaun
02-05-10, 08:45 PM
A former Marine buddy of mine spent years fighting a 30 percent shoulder disability, eventually he had to re-pay all the money, go to various docs who certified him, enlist in the Naval reserves for 3 years, then finally reenlisted back on active duty.

That's probably not very helpful but realistically, if you are drawing disability, that is likely the road you are going to have to take. Even then, like I said, it's going to likely take years.

RufMarine
03-05-10, 08:31 AM
Keep that faith man. I received an RE-4 when I was discharged for an injury I received while training. For years I talked to different recruiters trying to figure out what the hell happened but none...

usmc3521
03-05-10, 11:09 AM
so in plain english what did you do to get an RE-4. Drugs, UA, misconduct? I can tell you first hand unless you were done wrong, like I was you WILL not get your re code changed. I have spent ten years and hundreds of hours researching this. You have two options to get your re code changed. Submit your package to HQ USMC MMER branch and BCNR. Again, If you did something to earn that re 4 it will not come off.

RufMarine
03-05-10, 01:07 PM
Half the battle was trying to figure out what a RE-4 stood for, once I had that knowledge I definitely knew it was not the code I had earned. HQMC obviously agreed otherwise they would not have...

usmc3521
03-05-10, 01:13 PM
So you had your code changed as well? Did you go through MMER or bcnr for the appeal?

RufMarine
03-05-10, 03:32 PM
I originally went to BCNR, filled out the necessary paper work, they then informed me that I needed to go through my original command first before going to them. If HQMC would have said no then I would have had to go to the BCNR. They forwarded my paper work for me and HQ admitted to an error in my code, it was easier than I thought it was going to be and it only took a couple months from the time I sent in my paperwork to BCNR.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-06-10, 12:23 AM
That's good scoop, and what I've heard as well.