PDA

View Full Version : Recruiter telling the truth?

FJFri
01-28-10, 02:37 PM
Hey quick question guys. I'm currently talking to my Recruiter and we just got through signing a bunch of papers yesterday, one was for an open contract and when I questioned him about it he said,
"You can sign the open contract now, we can get you swore in, and we can change your MOS around later" I thought that that seemed "Okay" so I went ahead and signed it.
Not a few minutes later Gunny asked me what MOS I did want and I said Intelligence. So he printed out the contract for Logistics telling me it was Intel. I'm not stupid knowing Intel is a 02XX, but I asked twice and both the Recruiter and Gunny told me that it was Intel.
They trying to pull a fast one or what?

And just to make sure, is my profile filled out correctly?

Thanks for any help.

polizei
01-28-10, 02:43 PM
I would never sign an OC. And you don't rate to call a GySgt a Gunny. I don't even rate that. And yes, I believe 02xx is Intel. Hopefully more Marines will chime in. Why not go to another recruiter and ask?

Old Marine
01-28-10, 03:30 PM
It appears that you now have the MOS 04xx. Is that correct? If it is, you now have a Logistics MOS.

If you signed the papers, all I can say is sorry Charlie. Needs of the Corps.

Lisa 23
01-28-10, 03:36 PM
Hey quick question guys.
And yes, this does bother me...how about saying, quick question for you Marines, not question guys.
Always read what you are signing BEFORE you sign anything.

United States Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors

FIELD 02, INTELLIGENCE
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/02.htm

FIELD 04, LOGISTICS
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/04.htm

FJFri
01-28-10, 03:51 PM
I am sorry for any disrespect. I heard other poolees and non poolees refer to him(the GySgt) as such and had no backlash. I won't make the mistake again.

Again I apologize for using "Guys" instead of Marines.

I did read and question the contract I was signing and questioned that I wasn't sure it was what I wanted, and he told me it was. Said "Logistics is Intel" took his word for it.

Quinbo
01-28-10, 03:52 PM
It is my understanding that current SOP is to sign open contract to get into DEP then later get an updated contract with your MOS group listed. The initial paperwork is just to get your foot in the door.

It still boggles my mind how many are scrambling to get into infantry. Why ohh why?

Rocky C
01-28-10, 04:04 PM
It still boggles my mind how many are scrambling to get into infantry. Why ohh why?

Bob, I've been thinking about that too for awhile now.

It's amazing that 6 out of 10 want infantry???

polizei
01-28-10, 04:12 PM
Duh, you go shoot people in the face and get to be rambo!!!! Or a sniper that runs around and kills people from 20 miles away.

BR34
01-28-10, 04:13 PM
Bob, I've been thinking about that too for awhile now.

It's amazing that 6 out of 10 want infantry???

It was Rambo's MOS in the Army.

Wyoming
01-28-10, 04:15 PM

Movies.

Rocky C
01-28-10, 04:16 PM
It was Rambo's MOS in the Army.

Is that what it is, all that TV and Movie stuff getting these kids excited about that???

BR34
01-28-10, 04:21 PM
Plus there isn't any admin Marines on Call of Duty.

Rocky C
01-28-10, 04:23 PM
Plus there isn't any admin Marines on Call of Duty.

I forgot about that one.
VIDEO GAMES!!!

Old Marine
01-28-10, 04:58 PM
I am sorry for any disrespect. I heard other poolees and non poolees refer to him(the GySgt) as such and had no backlash. I won't make the mistake again.

Again I apologize for using "Guys" instead of Marines.

I did read and question the contract I was signing and questioned that I wasn't sure it was what I wanted, and he told me it was. Said "Logistics is Intel" took his word for it.

You should Google the word Logistics and see what the definitation is, then get back to us.:evilgrin:

GyC
01-28-10, 08:59 PM
Hey quick question guys. I'm currently talking to my Recruiter and we just got through signing a bunch of papers yesterday, one was for an open contract and when I questioned him about it he said,
"You can sign the open contract now, we can get you swore in, and we can change your MOS around later" I thought that that seemed "Okay" so I went ahead and signed it.
Not a few minutes later Gunny asked me what MOS I did want and I said Intelligence. So he printed out the contract for Logistics telling me it was Intel. I'm not stupid knowing Intel is a 02XX, but I asked twice and both the Recruiter and Gunny told me that it was Intel.

Thanks for any help.

This has got to be a joke... Are there seriously people out there that are that stupid??

Wyoming
01-29-10, 07:59 AM
This has got to be a joke... Are there seriously people out there that are that stupid??

Gunny, I'm sure you see them everyday.

commdog7
01-29-10, 08:53 AM
02xx is Intel; 04xx is Logistics

What's wrong with open contract these days? Too many civilians refuse to serve their country unless they get the job they want. The Corps needs you in logistics; those behind-the-scenes Marines are keeping the Corps running.

Go ahead Marines, haze me.

SGT7477
01-29-10, 02:30 PM
Let's get through boot camp first before deciding to take over the world, RIP Gunny Hathcock.

haebyungdae
01-29-10, 02:46 PM
Picking an MOS in the DEP, is it still where you get three choices then they send that to the main RS and one of the three is decided kinda for you? If thats the case, then quit your whining.

If that is not the case then maybe there was some other reason why they couldn't give it to you (ASVAB score, security reasons, waivers, etc), in that case they should have told you you didn't qualify and that you needed to go a different route.

And the last case, if you got screwed, well you got screwed, get over it, your still gonna become a Marine (maybe) and the job done as a logistics Marine is pretty important.

CplKJSpevak
01-29-10, 02:53 PM
I was a supply Marine, Logistics is not a bad field, BUT Logistics sure as hell aint intel!!...........and whats wrong with calling a Gunny "Gunny", I knew one Marine who called our Gunny "Gunnery Sgt" and he sounded like a tool bag, even the Gunny thought so!!

SGT7477
01-29-10, 02:53 PM

Thanks for any help. I would say you screwed up.:(

Lisa 23
01-29-10, 03:19 PM
...........and whats wrong with calling a Gunny "Gunny", I knew one Marine who called our Gunny "Gunnery Sgt" and he sounded like a tool bag, even the Gunny thought so!!
It was in reference to the original poster calling a GySgt 'Gunny'.
Let the kid EARN the title first before calling a GySgt 'Gunny'. These wannabes and poolees should learn how to properly address a Marine by calling him/her by their full rank and name, not Gunny for short.

SGT7477
01-29-10, 03:21 PM
:thumbup:
It was in reference to the original poster calling a GySgt 'Gunny'.
Let the kid EARN the title first before calling a GySgt 'Gunny'. These wannabes and poolees should learn how to properly address a Marine by calling him/her by their full rank and name, not Gunny for short. :thumbup:

slimmy07
01-29-10, 04:00 PM
Ok kid, when ANYBODY DEPs into the Corps they sign an ope contract prior to MEPS. The Corps can NOT guarantee you a specific MOS field till you are morale(police, etnac check), mentally(H.S. diploma, ASVAB etc.), physically qualified(MEPS physical clearing you). I have had a young man in our office who went to take the physical and was color blind to a small degree, there are certain MOS fields where you can not be color blind. That is just an example as to why they cant guarantee you a specific field till you get qualified. You gotta be qualified for a field prior to being locked in on it.

polizei
01-29-10, 04:00 PM
Laf, I got yelled at by my GySgt for calling him a Gunny. I was a PFC at the time, and new to my unit. I was a pipeline reservist, so I was done with MOS school and everything (so it wasn't like I JUST got out of boot). I was ****ed lol, I thought I finally rated to say that. Nope, guess not...

Old Marine
01-29-10, 04:43 PM
What the hell ever happened to signing up for service and knowing nothing about an MOS until graduating from Boot Camp and then being told what your job will be. Supprises are really the most fun. You may have been a heavy equipment operator as a slimey civilian, but now you are going to computer programing school.

GyC
01-29-10, 05:52 PM
... On Monday... I have to screen some potential applicants, and I'm going to see if I can tell them they're getting one program, then let them sign for a different one... Just to see if it works... Seriously, for the original poster, just ask to look at Programs again, make note of the two letter codes for the Programs you're interested in, and then make sure you sign the correct paperwork... I doubt anyone would purposely try to mislead you, but it's your perogative to make sure yo are assigned the Program you desire... S/F

Moderboater
01-30-10, 01:46 AM
he's going to be in for a rude awakening when he meets his senior lance cpls for the first time ;). As far as calling gunnery sgt a gunny...I never had a problem with it. Usually Gunnery Sgt's prefer the term Gunny. Though I really think that's up to the Gunnery Sgt's discretion and not ours.

TinDragon
01-30-10, 06:08 AM
Ok kid, when ANYBODY DEPs into the Corps they sign an ope contract prior to MEPS. The Corps can NOT guarantee you a specific MOS field till you are morale(police, etnac check), mentally(H.S. diploma, ASVAB etc.), physically qualified(MEPS physical clearing you). I have had a young man in our office who went to take the physical and was color blind to a small degree, there are certain MOS fields where you can not be color blind. That is just an example as to why they cant guarantee you a specific field till you get qualified. You gotta be qualified for a field prior to being locked in on it.
Could be wrong on this, but I don't remember signing any contract until I had already gone through MEPS, at least the ASVAB/medical stuff. First contract I remember signing was my DD.

commdog7
01-30-10, 06:30 AM
It urks me when a poolee/civilian calls a GySgt a Gunny. Where I work, I even hear civilians calling a SSgt a Gunny (all the time!). All non-Marines need to use the proper (formal) rank when addressing a Marine.

For those who earned the title, it depends on the GySgt and your rank. Some GySgt's don't like being called Gunny at all and others don't like being called Gunny by boot Marines. But most Marines don't mind it, and it is best to call him/her by their formal rank unless told otherwise.

Supersquishy
01-30-10, 06:34 AM
It urks me when a poolee/civilian calls a GySgt a Gunny. Where I work, I even hear civilians calling a SSgt a Gunny (all the time!). All non-Marines need to use the proper (formal) rank when addressing a Marine.

For those who earned the title, it depends on the GySgt and your rank. Some GySgt's don't like being called Gunny at all and others don't like being called Gunny by boot Marines. But most Marines don't mind it, and it is best to call him/her by their formal rank unless told otherwise.

Especially in Emails!

TinDragon
01-30-10, 09:04 AM
Yeah, no reason not to type GySgt instead of Gunny, it's the same amount of letters and makes you look like you know what you're talking about. Haha.

Lisa 23
01-30-10, 09:25 AM
he's going to be in for a rude awakening when he meets his senior lance cpls for the first time ;). As far as calling gunnery sgt a gunny...I never had a problem with it. Usually Gunnery Sgt's prefer the term Gunny. Though I really think that's up to the Gunnery Sgt's discretion and not ours.

Moderboater, it's what I said and commdog said.....it's not a problem with Marines using Gunny for short, it's when wannabes and poolees use Gunny for short.
These wannabes and poolees want to be Marines, then out of RESPECT, they should be calling a Marine by their proper rank and name, and I don't care if the GySgt said it's OK for him/her to call a GySgt Gunny.

haebyungdae
01-30-10, 02:14 PM
Maybe the said Gunny in question said for this poolee to call him Gunny. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. How big of a deal is it? He will still go to boot camp where he will be calling everyone by proper rank and Sir and whatnot. Its not like this poolee is calling his recruiter dude or something bad. Jeez, A friendly reminder to update a profile or fix something small is one thing, but this is not that case, you guys are going to cause some young guy or girl to not join cause they think Marines are a bunch of A-holes.

commdog7
01-30-10, 03:45 PM
It's not about being @ssholes, it's about respect. This poolee didn't know, but now he does.

We are looking out for him. We don't want him picking up any bad habits before he earns the title. We are saving him from an ass-chewing and a bad first impression when he hits the fleet by teaching him the proper titles for senior Marines.

Komenko
01-30-10, 04:03 PM
It's not about being @ssholes, it's about respect. This poolee didn't know, but now he does.

We are looking out for him. We don't want him picking up any bad habits before he earns the title. We are saving him from an ass-chewing and a bad first impression when he hits the fleet by teaching him the proper titles for senior Marines.

Its better to call them Gunny, Top, Master Guns than it is calling them all Sarg!!! Damn Army pukes make me sick, oh wait my little brother is one, so was my ex-wife lmao. Seriously its not our place to say what goes with the indiviual Marine! If the Gunny said to call him that then so be it! Plus they are still civilians (Poolee or wannabe) so you can't really tell them what they can or can't say! you can ask that they use Marine Corps terminology but then others will say they don't rate so then everyone confuses the hell out of them! Their Recruiters and Drill Instructors will teach them the way! Its the way it has always been and will be!

Phantom Blooper
02-01-10, 09:25 PM
I think I'm going to try this...

Did it work?

Did you accomplish your mission?:evilgrin:

GyC
02-01-10, 09:31 PM
Haha... I didn't try it, I would feel like crap if the applicant came on here and asked the same thing... I'd be a turd...