PDA

View Full Version : Buddy back home....

foreverproud
01-28-10, 02:56 AM
My son's best friend since they were around 10 and 12 years old .... now a former Active Duty Marine as of December '09 surprised me today.

I just got home from work and who do I find in my living room ... but G. He served two tours in Iraq and wow ... it was so good to see him. We talked ... or I should say he talked for three hours.

He's "trying out" civilian life ... going back to school. I could tell he wasn't quite sure and I had already known that the decision to re-up or not had been a tough one for him. I wish him all the best whatever he decides.

He had some hilarious stories to tell ... peppered with "language." He kept apologizing for his language and I kept telling him to please stop apologizing, just keep talking. He kept me laughing. There's more serious things to be said down the line I figured and right now it was so good to see him.

He let slip some things my son had told him that I didn't know, but today I come to find out my husband knew. My son is with the MAW but apparently he has volunteered to be a door gunner (I hope that is the correct term) and has been on Medevac runs.

Now when I talk to my son he just tells me he's working ... working all the time and he doesn't fill in any real details with me and mostly wants me to tell him what's going on at home. However, he has told my husband much more with "don't tell mom." .... Of course I understand his reason why ... I know he doesn't want me to worry. Well, that is impossible .... I'm always going to worry, but I've never show him how worried I may be.

.... but anyway G. felt bad about letting the info slip because he thought I knew.

It's been about three weeks since I've heard from my Marine. I can't wait to tell him that G. was over. I don't think I'll mention the door gunner because he must not be comfortable talking to me about it.

That's OK ... everything comes in due time and when he is ready to talk to me more about what he is doing he'll do so. That's what I figure.

... Welcome home G ... !!! God Bless you!

jinelson
01-28-10, 03:03 AM
Marine Mom the hardest job the Marine Corps has to offer. Like I always told my mom when I was in the Nam "dont sweat it mom its cool".

God Bless you and your Marine

Jim

TJR1070
01-28-10, 08:36 AM
Thank your son and his friend G. for their service to our Nation and Corps. I hope he stays safe and returns to his home and family soon.

Rocky C
01-28-10, 08:52 AM
Thank your son and his friend G. for their service to our Nation and Corps. I hope he stays safe and returns to his home and family soon.

:usmc::thumbup::usmc:

SGT7477
01-28-10, 09:34 AM
That's what Marines do,lol. Semper Fidelis.

Zulu 36
01-28-10, 11:27 AM
The default setting for Marines is to head for the sound of the guns. That is likely what your son has done.

There was a story that came out of the first Gulf War when the Iraqi's attacked the Marines at Khafji. An Iraqi officer POW stated while being interrogated, "When we shot at the Iranians, they ran away. When we shot at the Marines, MORE Marines came."

It's OK, I lied to my mom too from Vietnam. She thought I was just driving trucks on base. Well, I did do that too, but... I didn't specify which base and how I got there. :D

doc h fmf
01-28-10, 02:22 PM
Thank your son, g. AND GOD BLESS YOU MOM.

foreverproud
01-28-10, 09:48 PM
You all are very kind and thanks for your words of support.

jeanne

Ray Merrell
02-02-10, 06:04 AM
Thank your son and his friend for protecting our freedoms.

Gung Ho

foreverproud
11-17-12, 12:45 AM
I had to call my son today and tell him that G. took his life yesterday. My son last spoke to G. just this past Wednesday ... he said they talked for quite a while... I think G. was saying his goodbyes.

I would reveal this fine young man's name, but need to respect the family's privacy. Just know that he was a fine young man, a great best friend to my son and a proud U.S. Marine. I wish so much that he could have found peace of mind here, but pray that now he does rest in peace with God's blessing and in God's home.

I would like to ask you to send your thoughts and prayers to the family and friends. Thank you.

God Bless each and every Marine.

m14ed
11-17-12, 04:52 AM
Jean,

your son and all his friends are not alone returning home with feelings that the average civilian
is unable to comprehend.

I'm sure we all stand behind you and your wishes for all our veterans.

Rocky C
11-18-12, 06:28 PM
Jeanne,

Such sad news.
My Thoughts and Prayers are with you all.

RIP Marine...

Semper Fi,
Rocky