PDA

View Full Version : DEP on open contract?

andrew68
01-27-10, 11:17 PM
Whats up Marines? ok so heres the deal. im looking to enlist and there are currently no jobs available in what i want, infantry. So what my recruiter told me to do is to sign into dep as open and then i can change it once a spot opens up for infantry before i go to bootcamp or back out. I want to join but i want to join for the job i want. i just dont wanna get screwed. I have heard many bad stories about open contracts is why i am hesitant. What should i do?

josephd
01-28-10, 01:58 AM
do not sign anything until you get the job/MOS that you want

haebyungdae
01-28-10, 02:20 AM
Agreed, only sign a contract that gives you what you want, if you want infantry then wait for it.

andrew68
01-28-10, 02:39 AM
Yea thats what i wanted to do. He gave me some mess about how since ive been graduated for 3 years and am bout to be 21 the door is closing fast for me because the Marines are more and more focused on high school graduates and to get in while i could and before i went to boot he would get me an infantry slot because someone will drop out for some reason. I told him if i was gonna sign anything that i wanted to have my mos in writing and he said he could not do that and never has for anyone because they do not know if they qualify for the job. So what do i do, take the asvab and then wait for october 1st for everything to open back up and get a spot then? If not how would that work and how did you all get the job you wanted before you even went to meps? because he tried to tell me that no one gets anything on paper before they go to meps and that i had to sign an open before i went there. thank you for your replies Marines.

SaltyFungus
01-28-10, 07:39 PM
Yea thats what i wanted to do. He gave me some mess about how since ive been graduated for 3 years and am bout to be 21 the door is closing fast for me because the Marines are more and more focused on high school graduates and to get in while i could and before i went to boot he would get me an infantry slot because someone will drop out for some reason. I told him if i was gonna sign anything that i wanted to have my mos in writing and he said he could not do that and never has for anyone because they do not know if they qualify for the job. So what do i do, take the asvab and then wait for october 1st for everything to open back up and get a spot then? If not how would that work and how did you all get the job you wanted before you even went to meps? because he tried to tell me that no one gets anything on paper before they go to meps and that i had to sign an open before i went there. thank you for your replies Marines.

Again, I am a canvassing recruiter in the 1MCD.

Here's the deal. We process and contract applicants at MEPS utilizing the PN SOU (statement of understanding), which is an open contract. After you are found mentally and physically qualified for service in the Marine Corps and you enlist into the DEP you will sit down with your recruiter and pick out a job that you are qualified for and that is currently available.

If you don't feel comfortable going up to MEPs with the PN SOU, you can technically process with any job SOU of your choice however, if you don't qualify for that job, you will NOT be able to enlist in the DEP that day.

This is common SOP and if it also makes you feel any better, we (1MCD) currently cannot ship anyone to recruit training on the PN program option.

The Marine Corps does not do "step" processing where you decide that you want to take the ASVABT and physical to "see" if you qualify for service. It's a waste of taxpayer's money. FYI it's around 10 grand to process someone into the Marine Corps through MEPS. Either you're committed, or not.

And no offense, but your recruiter isn't BS'ing you about you being a HS grad and 21, be glad that he is even talking to you right now or that he has even given you the opportunity to join. Because if it were up to me, I'd send you across the hall to another branch.

GyC
01-28-10, 08:55 PM
Whats up Marines? ok so heres the deal. im looking to enlist and there are currently no jobs available in what i want, infantry. So what my recruiter told me to do is to sign into dep as open and then i can change it once a spot opens up for infantry before i go to bootcamp or back out. I want to join but i want to join for the job i want. i just dont wanna get screwed. I have heard many bad stories about open contracts is why i am hesitant. What should i do?

I think I can help clear some of this up for you.. First off, everyone that enlists in the Marine Corps, enlists into the Delayed Entry Program as an "Open Contract"... A Program (Job) cannot be assigned until after you are mentally (ASVAB) and physically (MEPS physical) qualified... EVERY Marine completed and signed an Open Enlistment SOU (Statement of Understanding)... This SOU is replaced once you and either your Recruiter, or NCOIC completes a Request for a Program, that Program is assigned, and you complete a new SOU for the assigned program... This is an amended agreement, that supercedes the Open agreement.. The Recruiter that you are working with seems to have explained this properly, however I don't necessarily agree with telling a potential applicant you can back out... With the Recruiting environment the way it is, there is no reason to bend over backwards to give you a job we no longer have available... There are avenues that allow you to enlist, and then wait for the Program you want, however, don't expect for the Marine Corps to chase after you because we don't have the job you want... A Recruiter, believe it or not is a Marine, and enlisted through the same process you will, so take a step back and think about that for a second... We all went before you... So when you come on a Marine Corps Forum, and talk a little bit of s&^t about a Marine, it's a bit offensive, and to be honest, as a SNCOIC of a Recruiting office, I'd tell you to pound sand, because there's 5 kids behind you ready to join for the right reasons... When I joined, I wanted to be a Marine so bad I would've licked sh*tters just for the opportunity to earn the Title... How about you? Semper Fi...