PDA

View Full Version : Signing up just a quick question

thompsonadam7
01-27-10, 12:19 PM
Hello Marines.

I got alot of good responses for my last post and would like to say thank you. I just have one more quick question.

I am not signing up to be a Marine for money or anything. but I was under the assumption that their is a sign up bonus. my recruiter said that isnt true. It doesnt matter to me if I get one or not I just wanna be a Marine, but I would like to know the truth. If any of you guys might know.

Thanks in advance

TinDragon
01-27-10, 12:52 PM
There used to be, especially if you signed up right after the fiscal year. Don't know if they're doing it anymore since we reached our goal in numbers. You may want to ask about a possible "MOS bonus" though... couple folks I knew at MOS school actually got more money for the MOS bonus than they would have if they took the normal enlistment bonus.

You may say it doesn't matter, but trust me. A couple extra grand is always nice. ;)

thompsonadam7
01-27-10, 12:59 PM
Ya I definatly have a couple things I could use the doe for. Do you know what mos's have bonuses? I am planning on going infantry and waiting until october for the new year to start because its not open right now

Melancon
01-27-10, 01:16 PM
I highly doubt you will get any bonus for infantry. I got $5,000 for a shipping bonus and to this day i still dont know why they gave it to me. I guess it was just extra money they needed to get rid of haha. One of my friends is a linguist and she got a $15,000 mos bonus for it. I know they are definately cutting back on money for bonuses tho. Even re-enlistment bonuses are dropping so recruit bonuses will probably come to a hault soon.

thompsonadam7
01-27-10, 01:40 PM
Ha thats funny. Ya I guess it just depends on how much cash they have to give out. Thanks for the info Marine. Come october I hope to have the privilege to become one of you guys.

Rocky C
01-27-10, 03:21 PM
Adam,
If you have a ship date for October you should contact one of the Mods and have your status changed to Poolee.

Rocky

thompsonadam7
01-27-10, 03:28 PM
I dont have a ship date yet. I have to wait until october for the new fiscal year so that the mos that I want will be available. So basically Im not signed up at all yet I took the practice test and got all my info ready so when its available I will be able to sign up fast. do you know a better way that I can go about doing this? could I get on a list or something so that I have the mos reserved for me at the beggining of nxt fiscal year??

TinDragon
01-27-10, 04:16 PM
You could probably at least take the real ASVAB, take care of all your MEPS stuff, and then when you're cleared wait to sign an MOS contract.

As Intel, I think we were offered 6,000 as a bonus. Not too much more than the shipping bonus, but hey, it's extra. Infantry will not have one, guarenteed though. It's supposed to be an incentive to join the MOS... but if you don't sign up to be a grunt, the 30 thousand people after you will.

thompsonadam7
01-27-10, 04:43 PM
So I can handle all the tests and stuff before I actually sign an enlistment contract?

TinDragon
01-27-10, 04:47 PM
I know you take the ASVAB before you sign any sort of MOS contract at least, because they want to see what kind of job you're suited for. I'm not sure about the rest of the stuff, medical and such, but I would assume so. I don't think they want you signing any kind of contract unless they're sure you have no problems joining.

thompsonadam7
01-27-10, 04:50 PM
ok I will talk to my recruiter about it, thanks. Man I wish I could trust my recruiter he has been lying to me since I meet him. basically everytime I talk to him I have to come on here and confirm it with you guys

polizei
01-27-10, 05:21 PM
Yea, I said the same thing, until I learned later that other Marines got some bonuses, and my friend got a $20k bonus (cleared $14k). Man I was missed...

And, go to a new recruiter.

Lisa 23
01-27-10, 05:31 PM
ok I will talk to my recruiter about it, thanks. Man I wish I could trust my recruiter he has been lying to me since I meet him. basically everytime I talk to him I have to come on here and confirm it with you guys
And yes, this does bother me.......how about saying you Marines, not you guys.

thompsonadam7
01-27-10, 05:37 PM
Wow thats a huge bonus 20k I didnt know It got that high. I probable should find a new recruiter I think the closest one Is a hour away but its worth it if I would be able to trust him.

dizark
01-28-10, 08:50 AM
I got a 10k bonus for the field I chose. Some people did, some people did not.