PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Marine Intelligence and Marine Armor...

Khalifah88
01-27-10, 10:29 AM
Hello there Marines, I cant recall the last time i had visited this place so i'll just update you all before i get started.

currently, IM a college senior(Hist. Major/ Govt. Minor), finishing school within tme next 6 months (unless the advisers pull a fast one:mad:). Ive wanted to be a Marine since my cousin currupted my puny mind back in Jr High.
Origionally was planning on enlisting out of Highschool, but had a freak mountian biking accident that tore up my acl/mcl and muniscus just 2 weeks from graduation. So that ruined my plans for enlistment.
Parents conviced me to take some college first before making any commitments, so i did that. and 3 years of headaches later im still aching to join up.

Regarding what i want to do in the Corps, first and formost I want to be a Marine.PERIOD. everything else is a close 2nd. With that said, Marine Intelligence (MOS 0231) and Marine Aromor (MOS 1800's) have my attention. Though i dont feel i know enough about them, So....

Regarding Intel, how long does the background check last? I understand its VERY extensive, but how long are we talking about. Secondly. Of all the doings an Intelligence Marine does, am i still going to be able to get my Utilites dirty as much as the Infantry(ex. field excersices, deployments to a FA, etc.)?Also, I understand that Intel Marines are more/equally qualified to catagory B billets (im not familiar with the term) such as DI duty, Embassy duty, etc. can anybody verify?

Regarding Armor, Ive herd a rumor from Marines and Soldiers alike, that Tankers are getting deployed as Infantryman, even after their training at FT. Knox. Essentially, the last time they touch a tank is during their training, is there any truth to this? Plus, the descision to make you an M1 Tank Crewman, or an Amtrak crewman is entirly at the discression of the Corps, wherever they need you, you go.Is this correct as well? Lastly, Im not entirely familiar with the daily life of an Marine Tanker, after the initial training is done, can any of you shed some light into this?

Im meeting with the recruiter a few hours after i finish with my school advisor, and through Leatherneck.com, im hoping to verify any information the recruiter gives me.

lastly, if there is any other thread around here you think that can help me get a better understanding of these 2 MOS's, feel free to direct me there.

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions of this wannabee Marine.

Respectfully,
chris

Vandrel
01-27-10, 10:38 AM
Regarding Armor, Ive herd a rumor from Marines and Soldiers alike, that Tankers are getting deployed as Infantryman, even after their training at FT. Knox. Essentially, the last time they touch a tank is during their training, is there any truth to this? Plus, the descision to make you an M1 Tank Crewman, or an Amtrak crewman is entirly at the discression of the Corps, wherever they need you, you go.Is this correct as well? Lastly, Im not entirely familiar with the daily life of an Marine Tanker, after the initial training is done, can any of you shed some light into this?

Nearly all tracked vehicle Marines are being deployed as provisional infantry. Iraq pushed just about every tracked vehicle out of country in 2008. Afghanistan is up in the air and I hear new things every month, pretty much all of my buddies are either training as provisional infantry or traning to use MRAPS.

Regarding MOS assignment to Tanks or Tracks, it's going to depend on the needs of the Corps but it will highly depend on your Swim Qual! WS-2 and above are almost garunteed to go to Tracks since WS-2 is required for the MOS.

Lisa 23
01-27-10, 10:42 AM
MOS's.....

United States Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors

Main Menu

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm

Because of your knee injuries, you are going to require a medical waiver for that.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission
Lower extremities
Leg, knee, thigh, and hip.

Current loose or foreign body within the knee joint (717.6) is disqualifying.
History of uncorrected anterior (717.83) or posterior (717.84) cruciate ligament injury is disqualifying.
History of surgical correction of knee ligaments is disqualifying only if symptomatic or unstable (P81.4). (3) Current symptomatic medial and lateral collateral ligament injury is disqualifying.
Current symptomatic medial and lateral meniscal injury is disqualifying.
Current unspecified internal derangement of the knee (717.9) is disqualifying.
Current or history of congenital dislocation of the hip (754.3), osteochondritis of the hip (Legg-Perthes disease) (732.1), or slipped femoral epiphysis of the hip (732.2) is disqualifying.
Current or history of hip dislocation (835) within 2 years preceding examination is disqualifying.
Current osteochondritis of the tibialtuberosity (Osgood-Schlatter disease) (732.4) , is disqualifying if symptomatic.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/extremities2.htm

Medical Waivers
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm

TinDragon
01-27-10, 10:46 AM
02xx Intel is mostly a desk job, even during deployments. Don't get me wrong, you'll be in the "field" but it'll probably involve an air-conditioned tent and a lot of computers. If you want a more "field-related intel" job, look into 26xx, although you don't really get a choice between the two, you just sign up for DD, which is the general Intel area. 2621s and linguists often just have a truck or just their packs, go out and collect.

As far as the background check goes, it all depends. Mine was done in like a month and a half for a TS clearance, but I was 17 at the time of the interview, had no foreign relatives or connections, no drug use, no travel, etc, so it was pretty straightforward for me. Since you've been through college (which means you've been an "adult" for a bit) it might take a little more time, just for that fact.

Khalifah88
01-27-10, 12:03 PM
So then Intel Marines are usually with the command staff, not out on patrol gathering the information, they leave that to the Grunts. Is that it?

thanks for the headsup WMarine,
my knee is 100%, i ive been PTing since ive been off the crutches, and everything feels fine down there. If this is the case then its just a technical thing to go through, to get a medical waiver. I hope.

Khalifah88
01-27-10, 12:05 PM
check that, I found a thread thats stuffed with Intel info...

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77236

...(goes off to read)...

Khalifah88
01-27-10, 10:41 PM
I just got back from taking the asvab, got a raw score of 83, f*ck yeah!, didnt think id get that high. I should be heading to meps in a little over a week.

MUSTANG0369
01-27-10, 11:13 PM
There are still Tanks, and Marines are still training on them......Trust me, here in 29 Palms we live in the field. Great Job, but severely underused.......Just not exactly the best way to win the hearts and minds.

Cherie
01-28-10, 08:06 AM
I can't speak much on the 02xx side of things, but you are probably equally as likely to go 26xx without any choice in the matter, so...

As far as radio battalions go, you'll still be doing field exercises, especially in the 6 months prior to a deployment. You can get attached to infantry units. You can also apply for radio recon and get attached to recon units if you want to get really dirty.

If you get sent to an NSA site, you will most likely not get any good field type experience as the job itself is highest priority (we get training once a month, but it's not field related). If you do deploy with NSA, you won't leave the wire.

For the background check, you'll get a small interview during bootcamp and most likely a second one at a-school. By the time I was in a-school, mine was pretty much done. I've only seen a handful of people have trouble with the background check, and they were held back from class for a couple extra months (with the longest being about a year).

For b-billets, I was told (at least for males) that they actually might be more hesitant to send you off for 3 years as a DI or recruiter, since your clearance is going to waste. I don't know about MSG though, since I think you get a clearance for that anyway.

Vandrel
01-28-10, 10:07 AM
I don't know about MSG though, since I think you get a clearance for that anyway.

Marines going on MSG get TS/SCI, if you have anything preventing you from obtaining TS level then you won't be going on MSG more then likely. If you can't get a security clearance at all then don't bother asking about MSG.

Khalifah88
01-28-10, 11:59 AM
I can't speak much on the 02xx side of things, but you are probably equally as likely to go 26xx without any choice in the matter, so...

As far as radio battalions go, you'll still be doing field exercises, especially in the 6 months prior to a deployment. You can get attached to infantry units. You can also apply for radio recon and get attached to recon units if you want to get really dirty.

If you get sent to an NSA site, you will most likely not get any good field type experience as the job itself is highest priority (we get training once a month, but it's not field related). If you do deploy with NSA, you won't leave the wire.

For the background check, you'll get a small interview during bootcamp and most likely a second one at a-school. By the time I was in a-school, mine was pretty much done. I've only seen a handful of people have trouble with the background check, and they were held back from class for a couple extra months (with the longest being about a year).

For b-billets, I was told (at least for males) that they actually might be more hesitant to send you off for 3 years as a DI or recruiter, since your clearance is going to waste. I don't know about MSG though, since I think you get a clearance for that anyway.
interesting, ive never eaven considered sigint,(and honestly know very little of its existence) Is it more of a techical kind of mos than that of Intel? please explain more.

about MSG, thats something my cousin had done for almost the entirety of his contract (embassy guard), havnt had a chance to ask him the details of it though. with that said, whats the difference between MSG, and MCSF? They are both security forces, but what am i missing here?

TinDragon
01-30-10, 06:12 AM
SigInt is more on the collecting side of Intel, you'll be either directly grabbing the Intel or analyzing it as it's fresh, as opposed to a 02xx, who is more of a PowerPoint Marine. Basically, SigInt gets their hands a bit more dirty than the 02s.

haebyungdae
01-30-10, 08:10 AM
Go to Wikipedia or about.com and search it. You should find all the information that you need. When it comes to the 26 occupational field it's hit-or-miss, it'll either be the coolest thing ever...or you will want to stab yourself in the face every second you are at work.

Khalifah88
02-09-10, 08:11 AM
appreciate the suggestions and info everyone.