PDA

View Full Version : Rooms to remember

thedrifter
08-27-03, 11:52 AM
Rooms to remember
August 27,2003
ERIC STEINKOPFF
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Five companies of Marines in camouflage uniforms lined up Tuesday afternoon on the hot blacktop as sweat dripped down the faces of nearly 800 people watching.

But no one seemed bothered by the heat. Their purpose was more important.

The crowd was gathered to dedicate two rooms - the Corporal Gooden Memorial Library and the Lieutenant McPhillips War Room - to two of the 26 men with 2nd Marine Division who died in Iraq.

"It was an honor for me to be their commander and an even greater honor to memorialize them in the name of freedom," said former 2nd Tank Battalion commander in Iraq Lt. Col. Michael Oehl.

First Lt. Brian M. McPhillips and Cpl. Bernard G. "Brent" Gooden were killed in a firefight April 4 along Highway 6 just south of Baghdad. They were with Camp Lejeune's 2nd Tank Battalion.

At a memorial service later Tuesday night more than a thousand Marines and family members gathered to remember the 26 members of 2nd Marine Division who died in the war with Iraq. That lineup of helmets, rifles and boots included those representing Gooden and McPhillips.

Their comrades renovated the two rooms at 2nd Tank Battalion Headquarters on L Street. They worked on their own time and provided most of the money to create the war room, which is a reading room, and the library now filled with books and other reading material.

"The men decided to do this on their own," said 2nd Tank Battalion commander Lt. Col. Donald Morse.

Memories of Gooden and McPhillips were a big part of the dedication ceremony, one of two events at Lejeune Tuesday that honored fallen troops.

"(Gooden's) memory has touched my soul in many ways," said Charlie Company commander Capt. Jeffrey Houston with difficulty. That same day an Iraqi bullet hit the right side of his chin, severed his mandible and punctured his carotid artery.

"I was in the hospital with tubes running down my nose and immediately tears filled my eyes and my heart sank when I heard the news about Corporal Gooden," Houston struggled to say. "That pain was worse than the sniper's bullet penetrating my skin. This nation is stronger and more secure because of his sacrifice."

"I had the good fortune to have Corporal Gooden on my tank crew," said platoon commander 1st Lt. Mark Markley. "I taught him the subtleties of land navigation and he taught me the subtleties of reggae music. He had a ready smile, a never quit attitude and a rare drive to be the best."

As a tank loader it was Gooden's job to make sure that there was enough ammunition for all the guns on the vehicle and he also kept the radios tuned so that Markley could pass orders to others in his unit.

Marines described McPhillips as a teacher and a loyal friend.

"I met Brian (McPhillips) when we were both serving in Bravo Company," said Bravo Company executive officer 1st Lt. Brian Stephenson. "He was like a brother and he would always take the time to teach others what he had learned."

"He took the time to talk to the junior Marines about their life goals and their finances," Stephenson said. "Sometimes he would babysit so the married Marines could have a night out."

Stephenson was choked with emotion as he described McPhillips' unselfish actions on April 4.

"He was in the turret, leading the battalion," Stephenson said. "He didn't need to be there, but he always led from the front. He was a good friend, a brother and a loving son."

"His loss that day inspired us to fight harder in an effort to bring everyone else home alive," Stephenson said. "All of us who lost him have a gap in our life that is now filled with his memory."

Gooden's mother, Carmen Palmer, was given a Navy-Marine Corps Commendation Medal with a distinguishing "V" device for his service with 1st Platoon, Charlie Company, 2nd Tank Battalion along the Tigris River.

The citation said that he located several heavily camouflaged Iraqi positions and took them out before his tank was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade.

Tears poured down Palmer's face and her chest heaved with sobs as she accepted his medal.

McPhillips' father David was given a Bronze Star for heroic achievement with Scout Platoon, 2nd Tank Battalion while assigned to the 5th Marine Regiment south of Baghdad.

The citation read that he led the way along Highway 6 and rather than retreat in the midst of a ferocious ambush, he returned fire with his machine gun and reported the situation to others in the unit so they could fight through the ambush.

He is credited with saving countless lives.

Navy Chaplain Lt. Bernard Bezy told those present that it was up to the living to carry on the memories and never let the country forget these heroics.

"We resolve that our comrades have not fallen in vain," Bezy said.

At a memorial service later in the day more than a thousand Marines and family members gathered to remember the 26 members of 2nd Marine Division who died in the war with Iraq. That list included Gooden and McPhillips.

The 7:30 p.m. ceremony at the division headquarters on Holcomb Boulevard featured remarks from Maj. Gen. Stephen T. Johnson, 2nd Marine Division commanding general; music from the division's band, Taps and a retiring of colors.

Navy Lt. Cmdr. Gordon D. Ritchie, chaplain to the 2nd Marine Regiment, recited the Marines' Prayer as troops stood along the shore of New River.

"Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold," Ritchie said.

"If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again."

Contact Eric Steinkopff at esteinkopff@jdnews.com or 353-1171, Ext. 236.

http://www.jacksonvilledailynews.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=Details.cfm&StoryID=15453&Section=News

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

JAMarine
08-27-03, 12:34 PM
What can one say at this point in time?

As for me I will say this;

God Bless Marine Brothers.
Carry On Until We Meet Again.
Semper Fi.
Amen

yellowwing
08-27-03, 12:56 PM
Morale and initiative have always seen us through!