PDA

View Full Version : Right Approach?

newskate9
01-25-10, 03:09 PM
Ok, so my first post, a quick intro so you understand my question. I'm not a military guy but my respect and gratitude for you all is top shelf. Having said that, I'll say I have a son in the Army in Intel and he's doing fantastic. I'm so proud of him. I have another son........ wants to be a Marine; has wanted this since he was in 8th grade (senior now). He skipped his last year of high school to go to college. Any how, he's going to be enlisting. I have a dilemma / question.

I have been reading post after post after post and can draw no conclusions. I guess I can conclude then, there are no hard fast rules. But here goes.

My son wants to go infantry. I'm nervous as is mom, but both of us responded to him to follow his passion and we are with him 100%. He has talked about Recon and Scout Sniper as a goal. Reading the posts it seems every wannabe wants to be one of those! Half of the posts talk about it being ok to ask about "how" to get there, with the recruiter. Many of the posts tend toward the "if it happens, it happens", etc.

Is it ok, accepted, not-insulting, to ask about this with the recruiter? What are the questions we should ask? What schools should he request or get commitments to? Is that even possible?

He's a very thoughtful young man - not a video-game Rambo wannabe. I really would like to get some perspective on the possible paths and options / questions without coming off like one! Reading some of the posts, it feels at times even asking the questions is a bit "insulting" and I promise, that is in no way my intent.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

firedog974
01-25-10, 03:13 PM
Ok, so my first post, a quick intro so you understand my question. I'm not a military guy but my respect and gratitude for you all is top shelf. Having said that, I'll say I have a son in the Army in Intel and he's doing fantastic. I'm so proud of him. I have another son........ wants to be a Marine; has wanted this since he was in 8th grade (senior now). He skipped his last year of high school to go to college. Any how, he's going to be enlisting. I have a dilemma / question.

I have been reading post after post after post and can draw no conclusions. I guess I can conclude then, there are no hard fast rules. But here goes.

My son wants to go infantry. I'm nervous as is mom, but both of us responded to him to follow his passion and we are with him 100%. He has talked about Recon and Scout Sniper as a goal. Reading the posts it seems every wannabe wants to be one of those! Half of the posts talk about it being ok to ask about "how" to get there, with the recruiter. Many of the posts tend toward the "if it happens, it happens", etc.

Is it ok, accepted, not-insulting, to ask about this with the recruiter? What are the questions we should ask? What schools should he request or get commitments to? Is that even possible?

He's a very thoughtful young man - not a video-game Rambo wannabe. I really would like to get some perspective on the possible paths and options / questions without coming off like one! Reading some of the posts, it feels at times even asking the questions is a bit "insulting" and I promise, that is in no way my intent.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Definately ask the recruiter about it. If he wants to join, it is a big commitment so make sure he gets it right and all questions are asked and answered. Don't be shy about having him ask questions about other options and "what if" situations as well.

ARTYPIG
01-25-10, 03:34 PM
Dog is right. Ask the recruiter everything and anything you can think of, it is his job. If he doesn't know the answer he'll find it for you. Most of the recruiters will shoot straight with you. In the end it is always the needs of the Corps, not the individual. If they gave everyone scout sniper, we would have no way to gewt them where they would need to go without all the other MOS's the help. Semper Fi!

Hanzo
01-25-10, 03:57 PM
Absolutely ask questions. You're right that these MOSes are the goal of a great many young men when they enlist, the fact of the matter is, they are VERY difficult to acheive. I think every poolee thinks he can do it till that bus pulls up in front of the depot. My best friend is a former scout/sniper and it was my intention going in to do the same thing. As soon as the Drill Instructor set foot on our bus, those ambitions vanished and I was concentrating on staying alive. Asking in depth questions about scout/sniper or Recon schools before enlisting is the equivalent to the new guy who got hired in the stockroom asking where he gets to park when he becomes the CEO. Ask the questions, by all means, but try to understand that the questions get asked a lot and usually for no good reason because such a tiny precentage will actually make it that far. Good luck to him, and good on you and mom for being so understanding.

SGT7477
01-25-10, 04:15 PM
The way it sounds it is hard to get into infantry now so they must be full, oh ya Recon has been brought up numerous times, but first things first, step on the yellow footprints and EARN our title.

usmcdanno
01-25-10, 05:26 PM
Hanzo makes a great analogy. The thing about being a Marine Sniper or recon is that first you must become a Marine. 99 percent of Sniper/recon Marines come from the infantry (grunt) mos. That means you have to join, finish bootcamp, infantry training school and go to a Fleet Marine Force unit as basically a "grunt". After you're settled in your unit, you will perhaps have the opportunity to "try out" for one of these jobs (no guarantee that you'll ever even get that chance).

I don't think the Marine Corps guarantees that you will be one of these MOS's. At least, I know they didn't used to. They will and can guarantee you an infantry MOS
(usually 0311, basic rifleman, which is the backbone of the Marine Corps), that is the starting point of becoming a sniper or recon Marine.

The Corps can't guarantee these MOS's because the schools for them are few, very tough, have an very high attrition rate and take months upon months to complete. They simply can't take new young guys off the street and guarantee that they will have a "special operations" MOS.

Hollywood has painted a very alluring picture that has enamoured young men into thinking they want to be a "special operations" military man. The simple truth is that these jobs aren't very glamorous. These guys train nearly constantly, get very little time off and are constantly away from "home" and are much more likely to be in harms way. It takes a very determined, committed individual to do these jobs.

Not that your son can't or won't do these things, but a recruiter is just not gonna tell you that yes you can join and be one of these Marines. So, the first step in your son's goal is to step on the yellow footprints, what ever happens after that will be up to him and the needs of the Marine Corps.

Good luck!

Apache
01-25-10, 06:30 PM
To echo what has already been posted,
Use caution what you wish for-you just may get it !

There is a pride in being a team member of an elite force.

newskate9
01-25-10, 08:35 PM
Thanks everyone, this has been most helpful. One of the good things he's done so far is asking as many questions and talking to folks as he can. I think he's better prepared for this than I am. I just get nervous when it comes to signing: I want him to have every opportunity coming to him, but in no way give the impression he's trying to get something for nothing, or skip steps. He's got a long road ahead of him and if he wants it, he'll get it.

In a way, I envy him. Not the "cool job title" part of it, or anything like that. Just like my Army brat - you guys (and gals) have a bond, and a purpose we outsiders just don't get. That, I think is the real "cool" part.

God Bless each of you. Tomorrow should be an interesting day!

usmcdanno
01-25-10, 09:12 PM
Good attitude Dad. Just remember that although Marines go in harms way more than any other service, we also do a much better job of taking care of our people than anyone else. That was job number one for me as one of our leaders. Don't worry, it's tough, but he'll be in good hands.

foreverproud
01-26-10, 02:21 AM
From another parent's point of view/experience my son had a particular MOS that he wanted, but from the start he knew that there was no guarantee. His recruiter was always very up front with him and my son always understood that he would ultimately go where he was needed. Luckily, he did get the MOS he wanted.

You know you can always visit the recruiter as well. It was not anything I did, because I felt it was something my son needed to do all on his own, and I don't think I would really advise it to other parents simply out of respect for their son's/daughter's ability to make their own choices without being influenced by a parent.

I did meet my son's recruiter after he had enlisted and he asked if I had any questions. I told him "no" because my son had told me all I needed to know.

However, I do know parents are welcome to go in ... at least in our recruiting office and I would assume that would probably be true elsewhere.

The best to your family and both your sons.

Hanzo
01-26-10, 08:32 AM
ForeverProud makes a good point.

I'm sure that there are recruiters out there who dress things up a bit. Mine was not one of them. He was very upfront about letting me know what I was getting myself into. He took the "We don't promise you a rose garden" approach and I appreciated it. He made it very clear that I was volunteering to serve my country in whatever manner my country felt best. If that was infantry, great, if it was being a cook, fine. He also made it very clear that I was volunteering myself as a piece of government property and that the next four years of my life were not going to be my own. I truely feel that THIS is what serving is all about, giving of yourself in whatever manner is asked. But I also feel its important that everyone who is about to sign on the dotted line understands that. People enlist in the army and air force for a specific job or benefits or some reason, they enlist in the Marines to be a Marine, everything else is just gravy.

TinDragon
01-26-10, 08:35 AM
ForeverProud makes a good point.

I'm sure that there are recruiters out there who dress things up a bit. Mine was not one of them. He was very upfront about letting me know what I was getting myself into. He took the "We don't promise you a rose garden" approach and I appreciated it. He made it very clear that I was volunteering to serve my country in whatever manner my country felt best. If that was infantry, great, if it was being a cook, fine. He also made it very clear that I was volunteering myself as a piece of government property and that the next four years of my life were not going to be my own. I truely feel that THIS is what serving is all about, giving of yourself in whatever manner is asked. But I also feel its important that everyone who is about to sign on the dotted line understands that. People enlist in the army and air force for a specific job or benefits or some reason, they enlist in the Marines to be a Marine, everything else is just gravy.

I've seen a lot of Marines that complain whenever they have to do something "out of the norm" ie work on a day off, etc. Hanzo's got it right though, after you sign the dotted line you are no longer your own person. You do what they say to do, and love it or hate it you still gotta do it.

newskate9
01-27-10, 06:53 AM
Well gang, that sound you hear is the "ball rolling". We pushed it over the edge last night!

Son and Mom/Dad went to recruiter and after a half hour conversation or so he picked his physical date and "signed in". Now it's paperwork, forms, records....... you know the drill.

He had invited Mom to go along - I told him "big mistake" - you'll see why.... As he and I started asking questions Mom, who doesn't wait for anyone or anything, went into Mom mode and started her own line of questioning. I must say while she was looking for guarantees where none existed for her youngest son, the Marines were about as respectful and engaging as two people could be. After a bit, my son asked Mom to turn it down a bit and we were ok from there.

Before we left I asked one more question: I showed my Army key chain, jacket pin and told them I need some Marine stuff and I need it now! They both laughed and opened up the closet, telling me to have at it. They welcomed my son to the process with a final handshake saying, "Welcome aboard, brother". Overall a great experience.

So, I'm scared to death. Nervous some detail will get over looked that will prevent my son from realizing his dreams and goals. And of course there is that shooting thing. But..... I've read enough and talked enough and know enough Marines, to know he's in good hands. If he does his part, the rest will take care of itself. God Bless you all, and God willing, seems like I'll be around a while to keep you updated.

I don't know if its protocol for a noob Dad to say, Semper Fi, Marines. I'll just say I could feel the bonds between my son and those young men growing already. And my wife is already order "Mom" stuff online when we got home, so that must count for something????? :D

sparkie
01-27-10, 07:37 AM
Congradulations, and enjoy the ride. I'll take a Semper Fi from a supporting parent any day.

jrhd97
01-27-10, 08:21 AM
Good luck to you and your son! Thank you for your support and more importantly your support of your son. There are countless poolees' on here that are in major conflict with one parent or another over joining.
If you get the chance pick up the book " Why Marines Fight ". A good read that gives a good look into why Marines have the bond no one else has and why we take care of our own in a way that some would call almost fanatical.
http://www.amazon.com/Why-Marines-Fight-James-Brady/dp/031238484X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264601875&sr=1-1

gijimsmom
02-07-10, 05:07 PM
If I may - my son wanted 0861 badder ( hope you dont mind my grammar) than anything else - that was in April of 2009. I am SOO proud to say he is 0861 today - just joined his unit in Okinawa.

Proud Marine Mom of PFC (meritorious promo) Jimmy

foreverproud
02-07-10, 10:22 PM
Well gang, that sound you hear is the "ball rolling". We pushed it over the edge last night!

Son and Mom/Dad went to recruiter and after a half hour conversation or so he picked his physical date and "signed in". Now it's paperwork, forms, records....... you know the drill.

He had invited Mom to go along - I told him "big mistake" - you'll see why.... As he and I started asking questions Mom, who doesn't wait for anyone or anything, went into Mom mode and started her own line of questioning. I must say while she was looking for guarantees where none existed for her youngest son, the Marines were about as respectful and engaging as two people could be. After a bit, my son asked Mom to turn it down a bit and we were ok from there.

Before we left I asked one more question: I showed my Army key chain, jacket pin and told them I need some Marine stuff and I need it now! They both laughed and opened up the closet, telling me to have at it. They welcomed my son to the process with a final handshake saying, "Welcome aboard, brother". Overall a great experience.

So, I'm scared to death. Nervous some detail will get over looked that will prevent my son from realizing his dreams and goals. And of course there is that shooting thing. But..... I've read enough and talked enough and know enough Marines, to know he's in good hands. If he does his part, the rest will take care of itself. God Bless you all, and God willing, seems like I'll be around a while to keep you updated.

I don't know if its protocol for a noob Dad to say, Semper Fi, Marines. I'll just say I could feel the bonds between my son and those young men growing already. And my wife is already order "Mom" stuff online when we got home, so that must count for something????? :D

Thanks for keeping us updated. I enjoyed reading about your visit to the recruit office and I understand Mom completely. It's just a thing we do. :D

The 10th of this coming March will be two years since my son left for bootcamp and I've come to realize that he is in very good hands. I've also realize that the core values I worked so hard to teach him as a child have been strengthened now that he is a Marine. I know too that I said goodbye to a child the day he left for boot camp and embraced a man on Graduation.

I believe this process ... the letting go ... is a both a difficult but prideful one for a Mom. I would think that it is not that different for a Dad.

Keep us updated!

The very best to you all.

zx6rdr
02-07-10, 10:43 PM
I don't think the Marine Corps guarantees that you will be one of these MOS's.

The Corps can't guarantee these MOS's because the schools for them are few, very tough, have an very high attrition rate and take months upon months to complete. They simply can't take new young guys off the street and guarantee that they will have a "special operations" MOS.

Good luck!

Gunny, you're absolutely correct; I was a "guaranteed recon" guy, (all I really wanted was 0311) so I asked "what happens if I dont make the cut"?, "well, you'll be a regular grunt then", 6 months later.... Im in Camp Lejune attending school for logistics. It has never once mattered, I AM a Marine!!! And when I went to Iraq, guess what, I went out with the grunts... Wierd how things work.

Good job in being supportive for your son, keep it up. He'll will need/thank/appriceiate, you it later for it.

usmcdanno
02-08-10, 12:10 AM
Gunny, you're absolutely correct; I was a "guaranteed recon" guy, (all I really wanted was 0311) so I asked "what happens if I dont make the cut"?, "well, you'll be a regular grunt then", 6 months later.... Im in Camp Lejune attending school for logistics. It has never once mattered, I AM a Marine!!! And when I went to Iraq, guess what, I went out with the grunts... Wierd how things work.

Good job in being supportive for your son, keep it up. He'll will need/thank/appriceiate, you it later for it.

Orahhh ZX. The sooner some folks listen to good counsel and have a little common sense, the better off we'll all be. Semper Fi young man, keep your head up (or down sometimes).

S/F, Gy Danno

jrhd97
02-08-10, 09:11 AM

To save the disappointment and anger for not getting what you want, go open contract. That's just about what you are doing anyway.