PDA

View Full Version : Giving presentation on Genral Orders and Chain of Command

biesseb
01-25-10, 11:24 AM
I have been instructed by my mentor that I will be giving a class on the importance of knowing the chain of command and general orders. The reason for this, is that there have been several circumstances of Marines in our command checking into duty and not having this stuff memorized. Yes, we're "nasty" airwing. Go ahead and yuck it up. :devious:

If any of you care to assist, I would be grateful to have someone point me into the direction of websites, either Marine Corps related or not, that talk in-depth about the aforementioned subjects.

Things I'd like to know for instance are:

A little history about the general orders, their adoption, specific purposes behind them, what important figures in the history of the Marine Corps have said about them..etc..etc...

Kind of the same thing with the chain of command. What is the real underlying reason that we should be familiar with our CO's, XO's, SGT MJRS, even if we don't ever speak to them? How does knowing the chain help to ensure unity and discipline within the unit?

I'm asking for this kind of information as a sincere favor to aid me in putting together this presentation. This isn't an attempt to have someone do the research for me. I will also be trying to find applicable articles, quotes, etc..etc..in my own time.

Thank you, and have a great week!

Wheels123
01-25-10, 12:28 PM
Google.

jackson07
01-25-10, 01:44 PM
Wiki.

Rocky C
01-25-10, 01:47 PM
about.com

Wheels123
01-25-10, 01:49 PM
Glad to see I am not the only one that knows the best resources for imformation. Ha Ha.

biesseb
01-25-10, 04:28 PM
Hint taken. Thanks though.

BR34
01-25-10, 04:30 PM
Have you ever given any other classes?

biesseb
01-25-10, 08:02 PM
This would be a first for me. I wasn't really given any specifics on how the period of instruction needed to be carried out.

ARTYPIG
01-25-10, 08:53 PM
Geez, they use to give classes on or have you do the MCI on periods of instruction. I also can't believe someone would't know their General Orders or their chain of command. I hope you find what you need. You may also consult t your First Sergeant or Sergeant Major as theses are the types of things they know a lot about.

BR34
01-25-10, 10:38 PM
This would be a first for me. I wasn't really given any specifics on how the period of instruction needed to be carried out.

Has anyone in your peer group or any of your NCOs ever given you all a class or anything?

biesseb
01-26-10, 09:23 PM
Yes. I've actually discussed this more with my mentor. Thankfully it doesn't have to be a long winded class; maybe 10 minutes. She really just wants me to give handouts of the general orders and chain of command, then proceed to explain why they are important.

I wish I could find some information about the general orders besides, "they're critical to ensure that a Marine follows a set criteria for their post". Everyone knows this junk, and it'll probably just go through one ear then out the other. I'm more into knowing the real intent of anything, and the general orders and chain are no exception. Maybe it's just that I'm attaching my college brain to a very simple presentation, because I'm all wrapped up in finding quotes, studies, ect..etc... For instance, instead of knowing the reason we have general orders, I would rather know why those specific ones were chosen. I'm sure there was alot of though that went into them, and they weren't just conjured up willy-nilly by some high ranking officer while he was on the throne.

ARTYPIG
01-26-10, 10:55 PM
They don't need to know why they are there, just the fact that they are to be followed to the letter. These General Orders and Chain of Command are not junk, they come in very helpful when you are up against the bad guys!!!

RYDERKUR
01-27-10, 09:21 AM
You could delve into challenge and pass, ROEs on post, EOF on post, Deadly Force, Entries in a log book, relate CoC to the Sentry echelons (sentry, COG, SOG, etc,) etc., while relating them to specific General Orders and how you go about successfully implementing them while on post and how they accomplish the mission of the Order.

Zulu 36
01-27-10, 01:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Orders_for_Sentries

kenrobg30
01-29-10, 01:08 PM
The first thing you do is, get rid of the notion that those General Orders are Junk. When you are assigned to a post, as a guard, there will usually be two sets of orders, that you had better remember. Your eleven General Orders, and the orders you8'll be required to know, for that specific post. The orders can be anything, from checking a pass, to shoot on sight. So take it very seriously, Marine.:marine: S/F!! Ken

Juicemang
01-29-10, 01:20 PM
Come on Marine, you're telling me you don't remember what the purpose of general orders and the chain of command are? I was with the Wing too, and I never heard of anything like that.

Hanzo
01-29-10, 01:36 PM
My first and most memorable lesson on why knowing your General Orders came during bootcamp. It was Team Week and I was assigned to stand post near in front of the PX on family day. The base had received a lot of threats recently and while I wasn't carrying any live ammo, I guess the idea was to have an extra pair of eyes out there. So I'm standing there with my weapon slung and a Drill Instructor comes out of nowhere and starts screaming at me.

"Oh, so I guess we just look around whenever we want, right? Just eyeballin' every civilian and my whole base, right?"

I snapped to attention and stated "This recruit's second general order is to walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing, sir!"

At the time, it got me out of an a$$ chewing, but it also taught me a valuable lesson. A Marine on post has no friends, and its a lot easier to point to a general order as a reason. They are a hard and fast set of RULES with no room for interpretation, just like any other regulation.

kenrobg30
01-30-10, 10:22 AM
The post I put in this thread yesterday, bothered me all night. I decided, if allowed, to give an example of obedience, to the General Orders. I was on Guard duty one night, in a high security...

Juicemang
01-30-10, 01:50 PM
Outstanding. :flag: