PDA

View Full Version : Power of Attorney

florczak2287
01-24-10, 09:51 PM
I'm looking into having my parents purchase a vehicle back home for me via power of attorney. My dad has been planning to come visit so we figured he would drive the vehicle on up here. Is there any information I/my parents might need to know or any documentation they might need to bring along for the purchase such as checks for my bank account or a copy of the POA paperwork? It would be a purchase from the dealer.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-25-10, 12:12 AM
They'll need your POA, signed, etc. Check with the JAG to find out more.

Vandrel
01-25-10, 12:18 AM
From what I remember the Camp Lejeune Base Legal office requires you attend a 1 day class for POA's, Monday's and Friday's I think is when they went and started at around 1000. The class is pretty basic, they just explain POA's to ensure you understand what you are signing before doing so.

I've done quite a few of them over the years for various people. Cars are very easy, all you need is the vehicle information and fill out a "special POA" listing whichever parent you want as the sole person who can execute the POA to purcahse "said" vehcile.

You parents don't have to be present for the POA, you just have to show up for the class with the required info and then sign the paper they give you, you'll get 2 copies, 1 is yours "original" and 2nd original copy is for legal to keep for records, then you sign their log book and you are done.

I've even done a POA for a buddy in Japan to ship my car for me

Phantom Blooper
01-25-10, 07:18 AM
Make sure that you are specific on what type of POA that you want them to have....a special to do almost anything or a limited to only do a certain thing.

If you are to deploy and not married...when I was in they made you have a general so that you NOK could do anything to your estate....if you were disabled or deceased and not able to so for yourself.....

You will need all registration and insurance documents (binder) a state inspection and a valid drivers license to get a POV registered on base with a decal.:evilgrin:

florczak2287
01-25-10, 08:05 PM
I have not deployed, but I did the pre deployment POA class back in April with my unit, am I correct in assuming that I would still have to sit through it again?

Phantom Blooper
01-25-10, 08:21 PM
If you already have a POA you may not need to unless your situation changes....however every time I deployed approximately six pumps I was required to go to the legal brief to make sure that everything was correct.

It is probally a mandatory command decision.

:evilgrin:

Vandrel
01-25-10, 09:17 PM
The base legal class for a POA is controlled by them, they require everyone coming for a POA to sit through it no matter what. It's their way of making a disclaimer to "don't say we didn't warn you" kind of thing. Last time I did this at Lejeune base legal was a few years ago so chances are it could have changed some.