PDA

View Full Version : Medical history question

texasflood08
01-24-10, 09:15 PM
I know that during the enlistment process there is a criminal background check on potential recruits, but after someone goes to bootcamp does the Corps do a background check on recruit's medical histories?
A family friend is already enlisted, but she had to withhold past medical information to get in. As long as there is no related medical incident during bootcamp will she be ok?

Phantom Blooper
01-24-10, 09:22 PM
Medical history should be disclosed along with a legal history prior to going to a Marine Corps recruit depot.

Disclosure of everything is the best policy so it does not come back and bite one in the azz.

If need be waivers should be gotten and wait for approval or disaproval.

Integrity is a leadership trait in the Marines.... and to start off on the right foot honesty is the best policy.

It will eventually catch up with your friend and they may find themselves coming back home without a lifelong title of Marine.:evilgrin:

Lisa 23
01-24-10, 09:28 PM
A profile would be good. <br />
<br />
And you can tell your friend that she just committed fraudulent enlistment...... <br />
<br />
Punitive Articles of the UCMJ <br />
Article 83 - Fraudulent enlistment, appointment, or...

Sgt Leprechaun
01-24-10, 11:51 PM
Fraudlent enlistment...no profile....Oh, my head.

The previous answers are correct. She'd better hope she never has an issue, or she'll be done. With no mercy.

Vandrel
01-25-10, 12:11 AM
will she be ok?

Well like already mentioned, not really but it really depends on how serious the history that was not mentioned was. If it's something that was a one time thing than probably not, no one ever goes out and checks civilian medical records unless the person is middle aged and is likely to have medical records outside the military. Most young people who joing have little to no records aside from regular shots and sniffles in school. If the information withheld is something that is reoccuring and is likely to popup often or prevent them from doing their job then it will be a issue.

I've had several new Marines that came in with pre-existing conditions, they didn't think they'd cause them problems but when they did and the chain of command to include medical started asking questions it wasn't long before they were administratively seperated.

AllShallPerishx
01-26-10, 11:45 AM
Ahaha If you think your medical issues will effect your training/career, then don't join. Or be like the thousands I know that utilized the Marine Corps saying "adapt and overcome" and ****in' go for it. You only live once. Fraudulent enlistment blah blah blah. **** it, try your hardest, and join the best.

Phantom Blooper
01-26-10, 04:43 PM
Fraudulent enlistment blah blah blah. **** it, try your hardest, and join the best.

As a Marine are you advocating that one should not come clean and disclose any prior medical or legal history....prior to DEP,MEPS or an MCRD?

Fraudulent enlistment is something that can set you back for years in your life....if you are caught....and eventually you will be....and have to leave the recruit depot while your series is marching across the grinder with the title of Marine.....

Do you have some experience in this subject?:evilgrin:

AllShallPerishx
01-26-10, 04:49 PM
Dependant on the case at hand, yes. Yes I am. I've seen Marines do good things while having Sculiosis that they didn't tell MEPs about. If it's something as far as a heart condition, then no. If it is something where you can either endure the pain, or not be bothered by it, then why not? I guess it's situationally deciphered.

Phantom Blooper
01-26-10, 05:08 PM
INTEGRITY is a leadership trait in the Marine Corps as you know.... <br />
<br />
Fraudulent enlistment is a serious thing.... <br />
<br />
ALL medical and legal history regardless of the poolees thoughts should be...

AllShallPerishx
01-26-10, 05:16 PM
I understand the integrity, on an "official" level. But deeper in the Corps there lies other traits. Adapt and overcome. Once again, situation deciphers my argument. I think he needs to post specifics before we continue this debate, seeing as how my argument currently holds no water. I can see why you feel this way, though, and I mean no disrespect. I just believe with the Corps being over our target number of troops, there are things they dont need to know about in some people, if it doesnt effect your performance. I could be wrong, but I've seen more than enough Marines enlist, re-enlist, then get out with medical problems unknown to MEPs.

Phantom Blooper
01-26-10, 05:36 PM
Adapt and Overcome!

Failure is not an option!

"When your up to your azz in alligators,its difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp!"

These plus MANY more are quotes and ditty's from Marines of today and yesteryear.....however they are not to be construed as verbatim.

Are all excellent clichés to describe getting the mission done....however the whole idea in the clichés is accomplish the mission and one cannot not accomplish the mission if sidelined by a pre- existing medical condition that one knew about....

Ultimately depending on MOS and physical activty... may one day be detrimental to accomplishing the overall mission.

Leadership traits and principles are an official set of rules and guidelines of their own merit....and each Marine is a leader of another Marine regardless of the same rank... depending on TIG and length of service....so this does not just carry over into the NCO,SNCO or Officer ranks.

So disclosure...regardless of how small and what Joesmuck and Tommygivearatsazz done is mute and inmaterial...

Integrity is not only an "official" level but also a moral level....

Not on a physical disclosure but a moral and legal viewpoint....

How would you like to have another Ted Bundy for a roommate if someone like him slipped through the cracks?

Whats for dinner?

HONESTY IS STILL THE BEST POLICY!

:evilgrin:

FattyTheFerret
01-26-10, 06:21 PM
You should give full disclosure but you should also know that there is no such thing as a medical background check. Don't be stupid; if it's something important enough to bar enlistment then it's something important enough for them to know about because the training will be HARD. We had a guy in my platoon fail to disclose that he was epileptic. Went fine for two months until the medication in his system finally wore off enough that he had multiple seizures. Two months in, got a damn good rifle score and he was sent home.

Health care information is better guarded than financial information in most cases. No one, not the military or the FBI, can review your medical history without your authorization or a court order pursuant to a criminal investigation and even then they have to know where to look. There is no database for when you've been seen; unless you tell them what hospital and/or doctor you've seen, no one has any way of knowing.

The exception is if you're applying for a top secret security clearance, in which case you still have to give authorization but refusing to do so or failing to disclose could cost you a lot.

Komenko
01-26-10, 07:32 PM
Phantom your forgetting history! During World War 2 there were many cases of enlisted troops who fraudulently enlisted at the age of 16 and did a full career! granted some got cought and booted out and other kept on truckin! but as for medical, DEPS will find out sooner or later and if it gets past them then the Doc will find out. remember there are all sorts of medical exams recruits and service members go though during their enlistment! it will come out in due time or it may never come out. Got to remember Poolees/recruits will go through anything just to claim the title and go on with a career. if they don't disclose something and it comes out its their career and the Admin seps will come!

Phantom Blooper
01-26-10, 07:57 PM
I am not forgetting history....I know of Marines,sailors and soldiers in WWII that fraudulently enlisted and served well.

I am also not saying that a fraud enlistee would not be able to serve....serve well and honorably.

However this is not the 1940's we are in a new era...where some of this information can be put out in a matter of minutes.

I have always been one to refer to Murphy's Law when I have ever done something I know morally or truthfully that I shouldn't have done.....

It has always come back and bit me in the azz and yes I have kept on truckin' and learned from my mistakes.

At seventeen twenty-nine in this 21st century if one can avoid the hassle of fraud enlistment and do what is right from the get go....then they will avoid all hardships and hassles further down the road.

Why go through all the paperwork of enlisting in todays day and age and because one does not want to get caught...get in trouble...or booted from DEP... and go hundreds of miles...deprived of sleep....train for hours....so you can get sent home on the next plane,train or bus....because they had a lifelong dream to be a reconsniper....

And to mess it up in a matter of hours....sometimes for life....The I wish bar room story.

There may not be a medical data base.....but rest assured...ask some former poolees on here....if BIG brother wants to know....he will find out.:evilgrin:

Vandrel
01-26-10, 09:47 PM
There may not be a medical data base

Google has been developing a online system to access medical records, was on the news not to long ago.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-27-10, 09:43 PM
NO, there is no (yet) national database of medical histories.... <br />
<br />
HOWever, if you fail to disclose something (say, asthma, or an allergic reaction to bee stings severe enough, or ANYthing else...

Lisa 23
01-27-10, 10:46 PM
Active Marines telling poolees to lie..well...that's something for a non poolee forum.
An active duty Marine with just under a year in the Marine Corps mind you.
I'm sure someone from his command would love to know that a PFC, with just under a years time in the Marine Corps, is suggesting to wannabes and poolees to LIE about a medical problem.
Not a smart thing to do PFC. :evilgrin:

texasflood08
01-30-10, 06:36 PM
I really appreciate all of the information and debating from you all. From what her parents have told me she has been to rehab and has done exstensive drug and family counseling and has been on several psychiatric medications in the past, she has definately changed dramatically in the last few years. Ive talked to her a couple times about this and she is pretty sure that as long as she doesn't threaten herself or anyone else at boot camp then she will be fine, but I'm just not sure how the military works and I can't just let her go into this blindly.
She hasn't used drugs or alcohol in a long time and is totally committed to being clean because she wants to be a marine.

Phantom Blooper
01-30-10, 08:38 PM
The Marine Corps doesn't tolerate drug and alcohol abuse....

Any medical...or psychiatric counseling should definitely be reported and there is a waiting period to join for any type of medicines.

Coming clean off the drugs and hooch...also means coming clean to the recruiter about this type of past.

Boot camp regardless of male or female is at times stressfull....to go into boot camp with a past history of crutches...and getting blasted by a drill instructor can definitely land her back home...quickly.....or if the temper flares...the Marine Corps has a place for that too.

She needs to do the right thing and tell the truth....if need be wait....or seek further help and treatment.

Regardless of past beliefs.....the military is not able to straighten some people out....especially from what you say threaten herself....sounds like suicide attempts to me and a definite disqualifer....

One day if she doesn't come clean (truthfully)she will get caught!

:evilgrin:

Lisa 23
01-30-10, 08:49 PM
I really appreciate all of the information and debating from you all. From what her parents have told me she has been to rehab and has done exstensive drug and family counseling and has been on several psychiatric medications in the past, she has definately changed dramatically in the last few years. Ive talked to her a couple times about this and she is pretty sure that as long as she doesn't threaten herself or anyone else at boot camp then she will be fine, but I'm just not sure how the military works and I can't just let her go into this blindly.
She hasn't used drugs or alcohol in a long time and is totally committed to being clean because she wants to be a marine.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission
Mental Health Conditions

Behavioral Disorders

History of suicidal behavior, including gesture(s) or attempt (s) (300.9) , or history of self-mutilation, is disqualifying.

Current or history of alcohol dependence (303), drug dependence (304), alcohol abuse (305), or other drug abuse (305.2 thru 305.9) is disqualifying.

Current or history of other mental disorders (all 290–319 not listed above) that in the opinion of the civilian or military provider will interfere with, or prevent satisfactory performance of military duty, are disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/neurotic.htm

FattyTheFerret
01-31-10, 12:25 AM

She should certainly disclose ALL medical information but mental health information is even more important than physical.

A month into training she will be on a firing line with a loaded M16. She has no business self-diagnosing. If the psychologists employed by the DoD determine that due to her history she shouldn't be holding a rifle it would be criminal for you to let her slip through the cracks.

Do you want the blood of a recruit on your hands?

texasflood08
01-31-10, 05:33 PM
I didn't mean to say that she was suicidal or ever was, she hasn't ever threatened herself or anyone else, I was trying to describe a conversation I had with her about this and it was probably confusing.
This is how the conversation went.

Me: "What did your recruiter say?"

Her: "He told me that everyone has 'skeletons in their closets', and that as long as I were to go through training just like everyone else that I would be ok. He said that the ONLY way the Corps would find out about my past [drug rehabilitation, mental health counseling, taking antidepressants], during bootcamp, is if I...

a) threatened to hurt myself
b) threatened to hurt another recruit

"... and I haven't been taking my medication for awhile and i've been totally fine and I would NEVER hurt myself or anyone else."

Me: Is that the only recruiter you talked to?
Her: No, another recruiter told me the previous week, 'there is no way it would come up, there is absolutely no way, unless you told them.'
__________________________________________________ ________

I suppose that if she went to bootcamp and didn't stick out at all that she would become a marine without a hitch. But I'm concerned that later in her enlistment this may come up somehow even if she is acting fine and doing all of the right things.

Lisa 23
01-31-10, 05:44 PM
Look, no matter how you put it, if she doesn't disclose her past problems and they find out about it later on down the road, she's going to be charged with fraudulent enlistment...plain and simple. ...

FattyTheFerret
01-31-10, 06:14 PM
I didn't mean to say that she was suicidal or ever was, she hasn't ever threatened herself or anyone else, I was trying to describe a conversation I had with her about this and it was probably confusing.
This is how the conversation went.

Me: "What did your recruiter say?"

Her: "He told me that everyone has 'skeletons in their closets', and that as long as I were to go through training just like everyone else that I would be ok. He said that the ONLY way the Corps would find out about my past [drug rehabilitation, mental health counseling, taking antidepressants], during bootcamp, is if I...

a) threatened to hurt myself
b) threatened to hurt another recruit

"... and I haven't been taking my medication for awhile and i've been totally fine and I would NEVER hurt myself or anyone else."

Me: Is that the only recruiter you talked to?
Her: No, another recruiter told me the previous week, 'there is no way it would come up, there is absolutely no way, unless you told them.'
__________________________________________________ ________

I suppose that if she went to bootcamp and didn't stick out at all that she would become a marine without a hitch. But I'm concerned that later in her enlistment this may come up somehow even if she is acting fine and doing all of the right things.

She's not qualified to self-diagnose and determine that she won't hurt anyone given the stresses of recruit training. She has no idea how the past drug use altered her brain chemistry or whether or not it made her susceptible to suicidal actions triggered by stress. She thinks she would never hurt anyone now and that may be true but she has no idea how she'll react after a month of little sleep, bad chow, being yelled at for every little thing and extreme PT.

Phantom Blooper
01-31-10, 07:18 PM
texasflood08,

Why are you worried about your friend and she is not worried about herself?:evilgrin:

Lisa 23
01-31-10, 07:27 PM
texasflood08...I'm suprised that this thread hasn't been deleted by one of the mods yet. Friends asking questions for friends is a no-no here. Your friend should be the one asking the questions, not you....that is, if YOU are the 'friend'.
You asked what questions you wanted to ask and the Marines here gave you answers. Do what you want to do with the advice that has been given, because I'm sure eventually this thread will get deleted by a mod.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-01-10, 08:50 PM
The military is NOT a social welfare service. Period. AND rest assured, your 'friend' has no business being IN the military based on past history. <br />
<br />
Also rest assured, under the stress of boot...