PDA

View Full Version : Another question about asthma

Hopefully03xx
01-24-10, 08:44 PM
Fist off, I'd like to thank all of you for your service and protection and I'd also like to apologize that this topic has been covered many times. I've used the search function but none of the hits include all of the information I'm looking for.

I'm trying to look for clarification on how to go about getting a waiver for my history of asthma. Let me please clarify that I personally believe that I no longer have asthma. The only time I ever get anything remotely similar to asthma is when I am running outside during very cold and windy weather, but everyone gets like that in the cold so I have no worries.

I'm 16 years old and was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma a few years ago. So yes, it was after my 13th birthday. In my opinion it was a very hasty diagnosis, as I only went there because of one single incident of feeling tightness in my lungs after having completely given my all on a pacer test in gym and having been given one single PFT.

As I understand it, if your asthma was never a problem after your 13th birthday then you don't need a waiver at all. A waiver is only required if it occurred after your 13th birthday.

Now I read this study done by the DoD that shows the majority of asthma-related waivers submitted from 2003-2004 were approved. Here's the link to the study: http://www.amsara.amedd.army.mil/report/reportindex2004.asp?strReportChoice=4
However that was then. Supposedly the rough economy and unemployment rates have caused recruitment to go up a lot. And because of this they aren't bothering to accept as many waivers.

So do you think unemployment will get better by the time I come of the age to enlist or should I wait for a few years after graduating High School and see if employment rates improve before submitting my waiver?

A few other things about me that might affect my chances of getting the waiver approved:

-I'm very intelligent(particularly at math) and get good grades. I can confidently say that with some studying I could get every question correct on the ASVAB, like my Dad did.
-I try to work out regularly, although I'm not even close to Marine material yet(I don't expect myself to be at 16 years old). My current max pull ups is 5, up from my max of 3 from last week.
-I'd be willing to accept a reduced payroll or even no pay check at all on my contract in a heartbeat if it was necessary to get me in.
-I'm not sure if a family history in the military helps, but my Father was in the Navy and repaired computers. And my Grandfather was a Marine Gunnery Sergent with artillery and was in the 1st Marine Division at Guadalcanal.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your service and the protection you provide to our country!

SaltyFungus
01-24-10, 08:56 PM
I am currently a canvassing recruiter out of Buffalo, NY. I deal with asthma on a day-to-day basis with my applicants.

Let me put this as clear as possible; if you have sports induced asthma, require the use of an inhaler, have used an inhaler past your 12th birthday for ANYTHING including COPD you are permanently disqualified from service in the Marine Corps.

There isn't a waiver of standards nor will they run an exception to policy waiver for asthma. You can run all the breath-tests you want and have your recruiter fax it up to MEPS for a med-read, it's going to be shot down everytime.

Sorry.

Hopefully03xx
01-24-10, 09:13 PM
I am currently a canvassing recruiter out of Buffalo, NY. I deal with asthma on a day-to-day basis with my applicants.

Let me put this as clear as possible; if you have sports induced asthma, require the use of an inhaler, have used an inhaler past your 12th birthday for ANYTHING including COPD you are permanently disqualified from service in the Marine Corps.

There isn't a waiver of standards nor will they run an exception to policy waiver for asthma. You can run all the breath-tests you want and have your recruiter fax it up to MEPS for a med-read, it's going to be shot down everytime.

Sorry.
So I'm screwed?

Lisa 23
01-24-10, 09:51 PM
Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission
Lungs, chest wall, pleura, and mediastinum

Asthma (493), including reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, reliably diagnosed and symptomatic after the 13th birthday, is disqualifying. Reliable diagnostic criteria may include any of the following elements: substantiated history of cough, wheeze, chest tightness, and/or dyspnea that persists or recurs over a prolonged period of time, generally more than 12 months.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/lungs.htm

Hopefully03xx
01-24-10, 09:54 PM
Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission
Lungs, chest wall, pleura, and mediastinum

Asthma (493), including reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, reliably diagnosed and symptomatic after the 13th birthday, is disqualifying. Reliable diagnostic criteria may include any of the following elements: substantiated history of cough, wheeze, chest tightness, and/or dyspnea that persists or recurs over a prolonged period of time, generally more than 12 months.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/lungs.htm
Thanks! So if my diagnosis was made based on one single incident and not a "substantiated history" does that mean it wouldn't be considered a reliable diagnosis? Does this mean I'm not screwed?

Lisa 23
01-24-10, 10:11 PM
You can either take the SSgt's advice on your condition with asthma, or go and talk to a recruiter about it when you turn 17. Being that you're only 16, he/she may not give you to much info on it, but it's worth a try.
The Marines here can't tell you if you'll be able to get a waiver or not, it's not up to the us to do that, only a doctor at MEPS can tell you.

Hopefully03xx
01-24-10, 10:22 PM
You can either take the SSgt's advice on your condition with asthma, or go and talk to a recruiter about it when you turn 17. Being that you're only 16, he/she may not give you to much info on it, but it's worth a try.
The Marines here can't tell you if you'll be able to get a waiver or not, it's not up to the us to do that, only a doctor at MEPS can tell you.
Alright then. Thanks for everything!

Vandrel
01-24-10, 10:54 PM
My 2 cents,

When I was a kid my parents were always over-reactors. Small reactions to dust or something stupid would have sent them into a panic thinking I had asthma like I dad or my uncle. Most of my younger days I had several inhalers, used them only when I "thought" I needed to, the doctors said I "may" have asthma, to my knowledge I was never directly told I did other then my parents assuming so.

Prior to enlisting I pulled myself off the parent tit and learned that I could physically do a lot of things, I started to run more and get out of the cave. Once I got to boot camp I had fully convinced myself that it was nothing more then a big mental game that I was put through in my younger days which was nothing more then a excuse for being a chunky monkey kid.

I never told anyone about the asthma history, passed all tests with flying colors. I'm sure there was tons of stupid things in my civilian medical record about asthma nonsense but I knew in my mind I went through a phase and finally broke free of it.

My parents forced me to see a doctor a few times when I was young cause I didn't like school, put me on ridlen and said I had ADD.

Needless to say I didn't have **** and I didn't say **** either, kept my mouth shut and never came up again.

I'm not telling you to lie because that would cause a mess for you but I'm just giving my personal experience story from 10 years ago.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-25-10, 12:00 AM

Sorry.

Pay attention to the SSgt, who is an ACTIVE recruiter and in no position to BS you, and has no reason to do so.

Other potential poolees/recruits, read and HEED!

rufio14
01-25-10, 01:37 AM
All you can do is try man. I had to go through a long waiver process. If being a Marine is that important than you'll do everything you can do make it happen. If that is not enough then you can always know you did everything possible.

Moderboater
01-25-10, 07:44 PM
Advice: If your going into the Marine Corps it's NOT a cakewalk, especially if you get attached with a Infantry Unit. What I would do if I was you is make sure you can run with a pack on about 8-12 miles. I'd also make sure your capable of walking up to 14-25 miles with a weighted pack on. Those were a weekly festivity for me in the Marine Corps. I'm not trying to discourage you but things are rough and I've seen guys get out on Medicals..it's a long and lengthy process. Just make sure your up to the challenge medically before going balls deep.

Moder

PS Listen to the SSGT

Hanzo
01-26-10, 12:52 PM
Your asthma may not have acted up since you were 13, but my guess is that you also haven't done mountain climbers in a room full of CS gas or put 90lbs of gear on your back and run through the hills for a few hours in 90 degree heat. You might make it through all your training just fine but what happens when you're in the mountains of Afghanistan in the middle of a firefight and you have an asthma attack? "Opps, sorry guys" doesn't quite cut it in that situation.

Moderboater
01-26-10, 06:56 PM
Hanzo,

I agree with you. Although i'm sure they will catch it way before he applies to a combat theater. Gas mask runs anyone :)?

TinDragon
01-27-10, 09:25 AM
All I'm gonna say is I know a couple people who "don't have asthma" in the Marine Corps.