PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!! Thanks

danwk7
01-24-10, 06:20 PM
Hello Marines. I'm not sure if this is the best area for this post, my apologies if it isn't. My name is Dan, i am 19 and i am in the process of joining the Marine Corps. I have always wanted to be in the Military, its my dream. For most of my senior year I was in the DEP and scheduled to ship out for Army boot camp because I wanted to become an Army Ranger. A week before I was supposed to ship to Ft. Benning, I was jumped by four guys and I sustained an injury to my eye. After many trips to MEPS for consults, they medically dropped me and told me to come back in six months. This was BS because my eye, and my eyesite are just fine now, I am totally capable of completing training and performing as a soldier. The next day I went to the Marine Corps recruitment station and got a new contract started with the Marines, but in a different area so I would go to a different MEPS with different doctors. Marines are not a second choice to me, I understand they are an elite and highly trained unit, but my problem is the Marines are not taking guys for active duty until November.The recruiter told me if I join the reserves, and then put in paper for transfer to active, it would actually get me there faster. My ultimate goal is MAR-SOC or Force Recon, and I don't think I can get there in the Reserves. I know it sounds arrogant or even silly that that's what I want, but I can't help it. I just want to do my best and try my hardest to be a Recon Marine. I want to get in ASAP, and im looking for the best way to do it. sorry to bore you with my life story, Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks Marines.

P.S.- I used the search tool to look for other posts concerning this matter, but for some reason the 6 digits you are required to type in to activate a search don't appear for me, the box is just white so I can't use the search tool.

Lisa 23
01-24-10, 06:28 PM
The only advice I can give to you is that if you really want active duty, then you're just going to have to wait. There are many other poolees who have been in the DEP for quite some time. Be patient, it'll happen.
Good luck to you.

Komenko
01-24-10, 07:51 PM
what WMarine said is true! there is no other way you can get in faster other than what your recruiter has told you. Either wait your two years or wait a year. either way the Marine Corps isn't going anywhere. just have to wait it out. unlike the Army, everyone is trying to get into the best club and thats the United States Marine Corps!

brian0351
01-25-10, 06:32 AM
...and the process to go to Active from Reserve is long and painful. You may have to wait until November to go to boot camp. But that's better than going to boot camp now and waiting 2-3 years to go Active.

Rocky C
01-25-10, 01:20 PM
The only advice I can give to you is that if you really want active duty, then you're just going to have to wait. There are many other poolees who have been in the DEP for quite some time. Be patient, it'll happen.
Good luck to you.

:usmc::thumbup::usmc:

TJR1070
01-25-10, 02:24 PM
Going to active duty from the reserves is a long and difficult process. The good news is the Army will take you in six months and then you can be that Army ranger. Plus it sounds a little shady that you went to a Marine Corps recruiter in a different area the day after you were disqualified by the Army. Did you have intentions of or did you disclose that fact to the Marine recruiter and the MEPS station that you were just disqualified from another area MEPS for an eye injury? If you didn't that would be fradulent enlistment. Have a nice day and go back to the Army recruiter.

danwk7
01-30-10, 01:42 PM
[quote=TJR1070;597477]Going to active duty from the reserves is a long and difficult process. The good news is the Army will take you in six months and then you can be that Army ranger. Plus it sounds a little shady that you went to a Marine Corps recruiter in a different area the day after you were disqualified by the Army. Did you have intentions of or did you disclose that fact to the Marine recruiter and the MEPS station that you were just disqualified from another area MEPS for an eye injury? If you didn't that would be fradulent enlistment.

I gave the recruiter all of that information, i told him about the injury and everything. The reason I went to a recruiter in a different area was because If i went back to the same MEPS, they would probably give me the same answer. My thought was if I went to a different MEPS, id have different doctors with a different opinion. The more I look at the Marine Corps though, the more I like it. I guess I have alot of questions to ask my recruiter.

TJR1070
01-31-10, 09:28 AM
Do me a favor post your recruiter's phone number and name in your profile so I can call him and make sure you disclosed the fact that you were disqualified by another area MEPS. I cannot believe that...

Phantom Blooper
01-31-10, 09:35 AM
what WMarine said is true!

Damn....you two agreed on sumpin'.....who would have ever thunk that?:evilgrin:

Lisa 23
01-31-10, 11:07 AM
Damn....you two agreed on sumpin'.....who would have ever thunk that?:evilgrin:
Yeah, we all have our disagreements, but all is fine. :thumbup:

danwk7
01-31-10, 07:15 PM
[quote=TJR1070;599884]"Do me a favor post your recruiter's phone number and name in your profile so I can call him and make sure you disclosed the fact that you were disqualified by another area MEPS."

What is happening is my information is getting "spiffd", (i think thats what he called it),from springfield MEPS to albany MEPS. Albany MEPs is going to re evaluate my case, nothing guarantees they are going to say yes though. And once I got to boot camp they would never notice anything wrong with me because im 100% healed and I can perform all my duties. I have lost vision because of the incident, my left eye is now 20/40 instead of 20/17, but thats within requirements. And believe me, I told him the entire story, I told him I was denied from MEPS a day earlier because of this injury and im hoping for a second opinion. If he didnt think it was worth trying, I dont think he would waste his time.