PDA

View Full Version : Marines face discharge for smoking legal substance

Phantom Blooper
01-24-10, 07:03 AM
January 24, 2010 12:50 AM <br />
HOPE HODGE <br />
<br />
When Pfc. Matthew Clark was placed on restriction last month, he thought he’d been busted for smoking in the barracks. <br />
<br />
Now he faces court-martial and...

Zulu 36
01-24-10, 09:10 AM
Anything that costs $20 per half-gram to smoke should ring alarm bells in anyone's brain. Aside from being too damned expensive, that is. Even at today's prices, $20 gets you a fair number of cigarettes or a lot of beer.

You could get that much cocaine for less money.

Garyius
01-24-10, 09:14 AM
So if I understand the story correctly, there is no order or regulation against using the substance, but their commander wants to convict them of a crime anyway?

Something is not right here, either with the story or with their commander.

Phantom Blooper
01-24-10, 09:22 AM
Smoking in the barracks is the order disobeyed....

However if these young Marines know what a blunt is and how to pack it like marijuna...they are not as totally innocent as they claim.

Formaldehyde is legal too but what happens if you smoke that or bleach on tobacco?

Steroids are available too....but they make your nuts small and your head big...most of the people that took roids...forgot....I wonder why?

I agree an order needs to be put in place Corps wide.....for Spice....but these young ones knew what was up and are now playing the kid...."I don't know..huh?"card.

:evilgrin:

Mongoose
01-24-10, 09:31 AM
Im feel like ZULU, if I wanted to be a Marine since I was 13. I would think twice before smoking something that comes 20 dollars for a small packet. Besides, I dont want anyone watching my back that might be too relaxed and seeing things.

Old Marine
01-24-10, 10:23 AM
I can remember when I was a kid about 13/14 we used to pack a straw with coffee and smoke it. I would guess that is about as close as we came to smoking reefers. This was before they had plastic straws.

Our big thing back then was getting someone to buy us a gallon of wine for $.50 cents and drink it. You had to shake it up good to mix the color in. We also got a hold of quart beers and drank that. Thing about it was that everyone survived those days.

usmc1969 4631
01-24-10, 10:35 AM
Well , if the truth be known , only , staff nco's were legally able to git real hooch , course we mixed formaldehyde with patty water and called it Tiger **** , it worked better than 2 warm beers for .25apiece , and it most assuredly Killed any and all parasites in the gut . Course their was alot of Tuc Fin around .@ .50p's a pack .
Ya Ya I know !!!

Mongoose
01-24-10, 11:02 AM
I can remember when I was a kid about 13/14 we used to pack a straw with coffee and smoke it. I would guess that is about as close as we came to smoking reefers. This was before they had plastic straws.

Our big thing back then was getting someone to buy us a gallon of wine for $.50 cents and drink it. You had to shake it up good to mix the color in. We also got a hold of quart beers and drank that. Thing about it was that everyone survived those days.
when I was a kid in west Texas, we used to smoke the roots off Mesquite trees.

usmc1969 4631
01-24-10, 11:07 AM
Oh Ya running with the Commanches ? How come their aint no spell check ?

Komenko
01-24-10, 11:20 AM
don't see how buying it from a tobacco store can make this stuff illegal! smoking in the barracks does rate an NJP concidering nobody is allowed to smoke in government buildings! but just because it...

Integrity57
01-24-10, 01:06 PM
We were warned about that **** last Spring in Pensacola and told that if we were busted in the headshop that was down the road from the front gate that sold the **** that our asses would be in the brig real quick. I cannot believe that Spice isn't covered by the Zero Tolerance Policy since it is a mind-altering substance not regulated by the FDA and is being used just like weed which is a street drug which will get you booted out on your ass if you pop positive for it. When we took our Oath of Enlistment we agreed not to touch any of that trash anymore and obviously the personnel messing with it are commiting Integrity Violations and are looking to get high so treat them like anyone else that messes with drugs while on Active Duty.

Quinbo
01-24-10, 01:11 PM
http://www.enotes.com/drugs-substances-encyclopedia/salvia-divinorum/effects-body

AFN routinely runs a commercial defining regulations against the use of spice. It also goes on to list quite a few adverse health effects from smoking it.

Zulu 36
01-24-10, 01:23 PM
Maybe it's just me, but:

If smoking burning tobacco is bad for your health, doesn't it follow that smoking ANYTHING else, would, ipso facto, be bad for your health too?

Otherwise, why would firefighters wear all those bulky SCBA in fires?

Note: I had to throw that ipso facto in just so EnderIinExile knows I do have a couple of fancy words tucked away for use.

Komenko
01-24-10, 01:26 PM
http://www.enotes.com/drugs-substances-encyclopedia/salvia-divinorum/effects-body

AFN routinely runs a commercial defining regulations against the use of spice. It also goes on to list quite a few adverse health effects from smoking it.

if the federal government didn't mark it as Illegal where is the crime? if people are saying it has health effects well then say good bye to cigarettes and all tobacco products, they are just as bad if not worse and i believe killed more people than spice ever has!

usmc1969 4631
01-24-10, 01:47 PM
what does JAG say bout this ? Appeal, thru the Chain been tested ? Guys who have paid their dues do not deserve to be branded for Bull-Sh**, especially if it's not on the Controlled Substance Act ;...

Integrity57
01-24-10, 01:54 PM
A legal blend of herbs that produces cannabinoid effects including increased relaxation, loss of coordination and mild hallucinations when smoked. < I'd say that equates it to weed, except that it hasn't been outlawed yet which is ****ing surprising seeing as it has the same effects.

usmc1969 4631
01-24-10, 02:03 PM
gotta tell Ya , Im not in the know concerning Erb Ya talking about , is it new ? My kid , usmc, never said anything about that stuff ?
Ya I know Ole man sit the F***down shut the F***up , jus go polish ur 1911 ...

Wyoming
01-24-10, 02:16 PM
Note: I had to throw that ipso facto in just so EnderIinExile knows I do have a couple of fancy words tucked away for use.

LOL, good one Chris.

kfisbusy
01-24-10, 05:44 PM
:evilgrin:I feel that any Marine taht is a true MARINE will not use the **** any way. When I took the oath way back in 1972 we wear told that we had to be ready for any thing that may come aginst our county. Somking any thing that will get you high or not in your right mind should be a courts-martial. I konwthat a lot of did go out and drink and get **** faced. smoking **** that will Fu*k your head up for good is a court-martial under art.92 SSGT. Francisco :iwo::flag:.

usmc1969 4631
01-24-10, 06:08 PM
Did you Gysgt Black ? Was He a splibb ?

Wyoming
01-24-10, 06:30 PM
Did you Gysgt Black ? Was He a splibb ?

WTF!!!

usmc1969 4631
01-24-10, 06:38 PM
Got off the subject , viewed His profile and say the name GySgt Black , His Favorite Marine , My DI was SSgt Black 69 plt.1105(my boot) So I asked Him if Gy.Black was a splibb . My Bad .sorry

commdog7
01-24-10, 07:02 PM
My command recently gave us a brief on spice, it is about 10 times stronger than marijuana. It is relatively new, and the government is working on making it illegal. <br />
<br />
I think they should get...

Vandrel
01-24-10, 07:33 PM
I agree, this **** is stupid. While I don't agree with kids in the barracks smoking weird ****, if it's not illegal and it's not going to kill you then wtf is the issue other then some people are...

usmc1969 4631
01-24-10, 07:38 PM
In combat situations , in theaters of war , agree Courts-Martial is appropriate
course of action ...If ya place your fellow Marines in jeopardy ,life n death ,by all means .(course in the Ole Corp ) there were other ways of dealing with it ,
But to ruin a life for Legal Actions in the rear with the gear DD/BCD/UD aint right . 1st time offense Art.15 ,loss pay/1 rank : 2nd time loss rank Brig. time:
3rd Gen.Courts-Martial Gen.under other than Hon...My opinion, course its like ass-holes we all gotem.

Vandrel
01-24-10, 07:40 PM
A legal blend of herbs that produces cannabinoid effects including increased relaxation, loss of coordination and mild hallucinations when smoked. < I'd say that equates it to weed, except that it hasn't been outlawed yet which is ****ing surprising seeing as it has the same effects.

I would say that if it does cause effects to that of weed or higher then yeah it should clearly be made illegal but until then charging Marines for it when they don't have prior knowledge that it's been stamped as off-limits is crazy. I'm sure if I went out back and grabbed a fist full of lawn grass and weeds from my wife's garden then smoked the **** out of it that I'd have some effects, does that mean I've done something illegal or violated the UCJM? ****, drinking 10 energy drinks all at once or smoking a full carten of cigs will have just as serious of an effect.

I don't mean to rant but I just think it's a little crazy to jump out and ruin someone's career when they a) had no idea what they were doing was illegal and b) it isn't technically illegal

I've never even heard of this "spice" before

In combat situations , in theaters of war , agree Courts-Martial is appropriate

I can fully agree with that, it's just as bad as getting **** faced drunk while out there when alcohol of all types is off limits to consume

Phantom Blooper
01-24-10, 07:46 PM
I've never even heard of this "spice" before

If they smoked it in a Blunt then they knew it was illegal.:evilgrin:

http://www.jdnews.com/sections/article/gallery/?pic=1&id=72101

Vandrel
01-24-10, 08:08 PM
That's just crazy to me, the law is the law but I have never understood the general idea that it's ok for a Marine to get drunk as crap so long as they don't pass out and die but to smoke something that does nearly the same "general" effect which makes you unfit for duty over the duration then where do we draw the line?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think things like this should be legal but I've never really understood the craziness that it's ok to do this but not that when in retrospect they are the same. Option 1) drunk Option 2) high. Both have the same end effect, temp unfit for duty

usmc1969 4631
01-24-10, 08:14 PM
Wish I had a definitive solution so everything would fair and equitable cross the board ;
but since I dont and it's gitn near my bed time , I bid ya all a fond adue , whose got firewatch tonite ...Thanks for the Bull-Sh**Freq.
do or die Bros.
echo 1 actual clear.

Komenko
01-24-10, 08:20 PM
If they smoked it in a Blunt then they knew it was illegal.:evilgrin:

http://www.jdnews.com/sections/article/gallery/?pic=1&id=72101

would that count for wrapping your own cigarettes too?

Integrity57
01-24-10, 08:25 PM
I guess it's probably looked at as one is straight up illegal for anyone to buy, possess, or use and the other you have to be of legal age to attain and that legal age somehow infers a competence in decision making (which isn't always true in some folks case.) But regardless, if this **** has the same effects as weed then it's logical to say that it's use by service members will eventually be outlawed. Not to mention how ****ing dumb these Marines had to be to smoke that **** in their barracks, I mean what the ****, over?

commdog7
01-24-10, 08:33 PM
They knew it was a drug. They knew drugs are not tolerated in the Corps. They know the Corps has a higher set of standards than the civilians world. Instead of playing it safe and asking their command if it was okay to smoke it, they did it anyways under the lame excuse of 'oh, this PFC didn't know...'. They were doing drugs in the barracks, and now they are facing the consequences of their actions. I say burn 'em.

Alcohol does impair an individual, but it is not categorized as a drug in Marine Corps terminology. The government tried banning alcohol once, but it didn't work out. The Marine Corps views alcohol as a morale booster, and only prohibits it during working hours (8 hrs prior), in combat zones, and during special circumstances. The Corps wants to limit impairment of Marines, not extend it. As of now, impairment is limited to alcohol; drugs are not tolerated.

Phantom Blooper
01-24-10, 09:00 PM
I don't know.....I bought rolled cigarettes....I rolled a few for my dad years ago.... <br />
<br />
<br />
However the past ten years or so I have been going into convenience stores to buy lottery tickets and just...

stretchusa
01-24-10, 10:49 PM
MARFORPAC has banned spice for all servicemembers assigned to the command not sure about the rest of the Corps. MARFORPAC banned due to the effects and the prevelance of the drug in Asia

Vandrel
01-24-10, 11:16 PM
drugs are not tolerated.

Correct, zero tollerance for illegal substances

But if something isn't legal then it seems a little over the hill to boot someone out for something that wasn't illegal, infact, if they were smart they could file a lawsuit, more so if they were never told they couldn't smoke that specific item which again isn't illegal and there wasn't a standing MCO against it.

In my eyes the proper thing to do would have been to evaluate the situation and results and then make a recommendation to publish a MCO and all future incidents chargable.

I'm not defending anyone that uses this stuff cause I think it's pretty stupid in the first place to smoke stuff like that, but I think there's still a fine line that should be established regarding it.

Here's a non-illegal drug,

Caffeine is a bitter, white crystalline xanthine (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/Xanthine) alkaloid (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/Alkaloid) that is a psychoactive (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/Psychoactive) stimulant (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/Stimulant) drug (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/Drug).

Not very up on the list of drugs cause of the mild effects but we can go a step further with say, Green Monsters (Monster Energy Drinks)

In the US, energy drinks have been linked with reports of nausea, abnormal heart rhythms and emergency room visits.<SUP id=cite_ref-13 class=reference>[14] (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/#cite_note-13)</SUP> The drinks may cause seizures (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/Seizures) due to the "crash" following the energy high that occurs after consumption.<SUP id=cite_ref-14 class=reference>[15] (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/#cite_note-14)</SUP> Caffeine dosage is not required to be on the product label for food in the United States, unlike drugs, but some advocates are urging the FDA to change this practice.<SUP id=cite_ref-15 class=reference>[16] (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/#cite_note-15)</SUP>

I'm sure someone who drinks 10 Green Monsters in 1 day would probably be pretty messed up and unable to perform duties. But oddly things that enhance or relate to physical activety are greatly accepted by the military with the exception of roids of course, then on the other side the ones that don't pertain to PT or general alertness are frowned upon because they "slow you down" so to speak.

I think I might be going a little to far indepth on this one, it's late:cool:

commdog7
01-24-10, 11:51 PM
What's legal in the civilian world isn't always legal in the Marine Corps. The effects of spice are 10 times that of marijuana, therefore they knew it was a drug and they knew it was frowned upon in the Corps. But they did it anyways, because they know it does not show up on a p!ss test. They tried to cheat the system and they failed.

Every once in a while, a new drug comes out that catches people's attention. It takes time for the government to make these new drugs illegal, just as it takes time for the Corps to identify these drugs and establish an order banning their use. It is not okay for Marines to do whatever new drugs come out before they get officially banned. Marines should know better. All Marines with the intention of cheating the system with drug use should face punitive action.

If you drink 10 Monsters and are unable to perform your military duties because of it, then you can get NJP'ed. Just like sunburns- sunburns aren't illegal, but if you get one bad enough where it affects your ability to work, you can get NJP'ed.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-25-10, 12:22 AM
Stupid. Little to no sympathy.

MUSTANG0369
01-25-10, 01:08 AM
Agree with Leprechaun..........These Marines, and I use that term loosely, know that drugs arent tolerated.........really are we concerned with technicalities? I would hope not. They can do that stuff when they get out.

For the record, both spice and saliva(sp) have been outlawed for a while, ignorance is not innocence. This is running rampid and is the "talk of the town."

HOWARDROARK3043
01-25-10, 04:00 AM
make an alter strike a match --if it lights then burn them,,,,,,,that would be cool to see a 1st Sgt. with a "burn them" alter.......it would scare me

mjhpgh
01-25-10, 10:22 PM
For the ones in denial . Glue is not illegal -sniffing it to get high is .Spray paint and dust off is not illegal -huffing it is . I think all of the DOD has banned this stuff. I have not heard of "spice" till I saw this thread. If someone told me you can smoke this legal stuff and get high I would not .We are in he military, they can make it prohibited if they want .

DanM
01-25-10, 10:47 PM
Although "spice" is not illegal in the USA,it is illegal in most other countries.If you haven't looked up the info,see link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice_(drug)

Cherie
01-26-10, 05:18 PM
I had heard about spice from some Airforce folks back in a-school and they had basically said that it gives you the same high that marijuana does but won't show up on a urinalysis - exactly like the article says. I'm willing to bet that these folks decided to smoke this knowing those facts. I don't really have any sympathy for them. If you decide to partake in something you know is borderline illegal, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

echo3oscar1833
01-26-10, 06:12 PM
What is legal is not always right. These Marines where wrong, and should be held accountable. They voluntarly used a drug that they knew would cause them to be imparied. Yes you could argue the point...

Rocky C
01-26-10, 06:22 PM
Well said Ben :thumbup:. <br />
Semper Fi, <br />
Rocky

SlingerDun
01-26-10, 06:43 PM
Naw don't ruin a kids future for smokin something that ain't officially illegal yet.

6 months on scullery/bilge or some other ass kickin duty. Reduction in rank/fine. Give him a chance to think it out and regroup.

--->Dave

usmc1969 4631
01-26-10, 07:04 PM
for a first offense of use, not in a combat zone nor on duty . I agree, course, that's a Capt.Mast anyway .The same sitrep shouldn't apply to Underage drinking , to me ifn the man fights for His Corp and Country drinking should not penalize Him , off duty in the States .(dui not included)

mjhpgh
01-26-10, 09:14 PM
I do not get where some of you are coming from .The Marine Corps prohibits its use .

You can accept that smoking anything in the barracks is punishable', But smoking something that gets them high because it is not prohibited (illegal ) for civilians its OK . If these people are going to smoke anything to get high they should be dealt with accordingly (they knew what it was used for ).If you want to give these guys a pass you might as well let them smoke pot.

Integrity57
01-26-10, 10:08 PM
Spoke to a friend about this yesterday and there's already been Sailors dishonorably discharged for smoking Spice while on Active Duty. The SECNAV needs to put out a Reg on this quick so punishment...

tangovictor87
01-26-10, 10:25 PM
"According to MARFORPAC Order 5355.2, the substances known as Spice and Salvia Divinorum, while not listed as a controlled substance and highly accessible by service members, are hereby prohibited to all service members assigned within the MARFORPAC chain of command."

These Marines should've use their good judgment.

usmc1969 4631
01-26-10, 10:44 PM
if that's the case and Ive no reason to question the veracity of ya above statement , then they fragged themselves . done.

Komenko
01-26-10, 10:58 PM
"According to MARFORPAC Order 5355.2, the substances known as Spice and Salvia Divinorum, while not listed as a controlled substance and highly accessible by service members, are hereby prohibited to all service members assigned within the MARFORPAC chain of command."

These Marines should've use their good judgment.

yet thats for the Pacific command not the Atlantic! does the Atlantic Command have something simular in place?

Phantom Blooper
02-04-10, 06:29 AM
Marine Corps bars use of Spice

February 04, 2010 1:25 AM
HOPE HODGE
A new order from Marine Corps Forces Command explicitly prohibits Marines from using a number of legal substances, including the herbal blend Spice, to achieve an altered state of consciousness or a druglike “high.”

The order, dated Jan. 27, bars Marines from using, possessing, attempting to possess, manufacturing or introducing onto military installations any of 10 substances that cause “legal highs.” Spice and salvia divinorum, including their many aliases, are at the top of the list.

Included are aliases for each of the substances and descriptions of their origins, uses and properties. The order comes three days after a Jan. 24 Daily News article about two junior Marines who were told they may face court-martial after obtaining packets of Spice in town and smoking it aboard Camp Lejeune. However, the public affairs director for Marine Corps Installations East, Maj. Nat Fahy, said “the issuance of this order coinciding with recent media reports highlighting Spice has been purely coincidental, as the order has been developed over the last few months.”

The order cites a “disturbing trend of drug abuse” throughout Marine Corps Forces Command and Marines Corps Bases Atlantic. Violations, according to the order, “may results in punitive or adverse administrative action for service members … and may result in adverse administrative actions for civilians.”

A spokesman for Marine Corps Forces Command, Lt. Col. Matt Morgan, said Marine Corps Installations East was in the process of addressing details of enforcement of the order.

In a statement, Fahy said, “In light of the recently signed MARFORCOM order, Bases and Stations throughout MCIEAST are commencing an aggressive educational campaign to make Marines and Sailors aware of the consequences of using these substances.”

Commanders will address violations of this order, Fahy said, in the same way they would address any other misconduct, and can exercise a range of options from administrative measures to judicial actions.

Those who used Spice prior to the order’s issuance, Fahy said, still were practicing illegal behavior: “While use of the enumerated substances prior to the promulgated order would not constitute a violation of the order, it would be a violation of a Secretary of the Navy Instruction from 2005 that prohibits unlawful use of natural substances with the intent to induce intoxication, excitement, or stupefaction.”

Contact Hope Hodge at 910-219-8453 or hhodge@freedomenc.com.

dROD20
02-04-10, 06:38 AM
i think that the Marines should have used better judgement. you are not going to be briefed on EVERY substance that there is. some research should have been done BEFORE they tried spice. AND considering that it rolled in a blunt wrap, and has nearly the same effects of marijuana, i think that they are just trying to get out of trouble by using the "we didnt know" route.

Marine84
02-04-10, 07:38 AM
I got reamed one time for smoking cloves in the barracks. I love the taste but they smell just like weed. It was rather funny as hell really. Back then, we could smoke in the barracks (good thing I ain't in now!) - anyway, I'm sitting in the TV room smoking a clove cigarette and out Troop Handler came in and smelled it. "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SMELL?" I told her what it was and she told me to put that damned thing out and she had better not catch me smoking them again.

Komenko
02-04-10, 07:40 AM
Those who used Spice prior to the order’s issuance, Fahy said, still were practicing illegal behavior: “While use of the enumerated substances prior to the promulgated order would not constitute a violation of the order, it would be a violation of a Secretary of the Navy Instruction from 2005 that prohibits unlawful use of natural substances with the intent to induce intoxication, excitement, or stupefaction.”

I was in during this time and I wasn't briefed or told about this order!

Juicemang
02-04-10, 09:17 AM
Naw don't ruin a kids future for smokin something that ain't officially illegal yet.

6 months on scullery/bilge or some other ass kickin duty. Reduction in rank/fine. Give him a chance to think it out and regroup.

--->Dave

:thumbup:

sully0331
02-04-10, 10:27 AM
That some bull****...Corps is changing way to much towards bull**** instead of badass

Sgt Leprechaun
02-05-10, 07:38 PM
If they would just let these kids DRINK most of this crap would go away.

DanM
02-05-10, 08:03 PM
Drinking on base at 18 years old in the sixties was permissable and didn't stop drug abuse .Do you really think those who abuse substances care about rules and laws?

Sgt Leprechaun
02-05-10, 08:29 PM
The sixties were a different time to be sure. Yeah, you have a point, but the alcohol prohibition is stupid. Then again it's possible these kids would have done it anyway.

But I have issues with the alcohol policy.

Old Marine
02-05-10, 08:51 PM
The knew exactly what they were buying when they cameto the dance. Now its time to pay the fiddler.

stretchusa
02-06-10, 11:35 AM
That some bull****...Corps is changing way to much towards bull**** instead of badass
So its ok for dudes to get high? That was in fact what they were doing? it says you are an 03 you have no problem with someone who has to watch your back getting high? in the words of Sgt Lep. PFFFFFTTTTTTT

Marine1955
02-06-10, 12:10 PM
OK, heres something some of you know pot is illegal and now that it is people or trying to find other ways to get high legally. Last year on Satellite Radio a guy from Florida named not to be said....

Komenko
02-06-10, 12:30 PM
Well the no smoking in government buildings i believe was from President Clinton. As for smoking the substance that is legal, they Violated a direct order by smoking in their room and violating a...

sully0331
02-18-10, 01:28 PM
Strechusa i should have worded that better I feel just in general to much regulation is being pressed upon Marines now a days they were not on post, patrol or anything where my life or my Marines lives would be at risk. I wouldnt my gunners high drunk or anything when training or getting some but in a squadbay give me a break...

mjhpgh
02-18-10, 04:00 PM
Seems the ones that smoked this stuff intended on getting high.For those that defend them I have a few questions for you .

Do you want individuals serving in the military who strive to get high?

Do you want individuals serving in the military who will do what they can to circumvent regulations?

memy2010
02-28-10, 03:12 PM
Hire a military lawyer. Do it now while your son is still active. The lawyer can get your son out of this jam and retain his job.

memy2010
02-28-10, 03:32 PM
Best thing is to hire a military lawyer. He's the only one who can get your son out of this mess. Your son didn't do hard drugs so there's a big possibility that he'll retain hi job.

Quinbo
02-28-10, 03:38 PM
Ping Pong balls aren't illegal
Paint thinner isn't illegal
chlorine bleach isn't illegal

Combineing them to make a bomb is illegal.

Painting your bicycle with spray paint is perfectly fine. Spraying paint into a paperbag and inhaling the fumes is illegal.

If there was a white letter out defining every single substance and method used to get high it would be thicker than the obama care document.

The argument private doesn't know does not work. Private didn't know that if I doused myself in lysol then tried to smoke I would burst into flames.

Rocky C
02-28-10, 03:39 PM
retain hi job.

That's how he got in trouble in the First Place :evilgrin:

Lisa 23
02-28-10, 03:42 PM
That's how he got in trouble in the First Place :evilgrin:

Rocky, you made a funny...lol!

Rocky C
02-28-10, 03:45 PM
Rocky, you made a funny...lol!

:D

Who is this person memy 2010???

ggyoung
02-28-10, 05:54 PM

To me geting high is like sleeping on out post.

HereandThere
02-28-10, 07:45 PM
I read about that substance which is sprayed with a chemical (to get you high) on Google about 3-4 weeks ago.I had never heard of it and I'm sure some kids,strike that,a few kid didn't hear about it either.But now everone knows about it and some are buying as much of it as possible.Some state governments are in the process of making it illegal,although because it's a interstate commerce item,I believe the Fed's have to ban it.
The worst thing about it is I believe it comes from China and would you want to smoke a chemical from China? Not in this life.

Phantom Blooper
07-29-10, 05:08 PM
Camp Lejeune asks area businesses to keep spice from Marines <br />
<br />
HOPE HODGE <br />
2010-07-28 17:27:58 <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Spice, an herbal compound sold under many aliases, started getting attention in January, when...

WXSgt
07-29-10, 05:17 PM
The order for drugs specifically states anything that is intended to get you high or produce a hallucigenic(spelling?) effect is prohibited. Spice is illegal to Marines and Sailors under this as spice does get you high.

waitinferage21
08-23-10, 08:01 PM
Lol I was there and knew them, bunch of dumbasses

AdirondackDog
08-23-10, 08:21 PM
Spice runs rampant here in Okinawa, everyone is getting caught with it. We even have a MT BN called Spice BN. Those fools get caught every week, haha.

thezero
08-23-10, 10:17 PM
Just read the initial post, and spice may be legal but where the side effects are like pot every place I have been from MCT to Pensacola to Little Rock it has been told specifically in our initial briefs to stay the **** away from it and the places that sold it or any thing related to it were off limits and punishable under the UCMJ. Marines should know better and perhaps do a little research on something before they indulge in it. Just the .02 out there but use your head and you won't get in trouble.

Assaultdog0351
08-24-10, 12:23 AM
If you're told not to smoke it, don't smoke it. A little bit of CS goes a long way. We had a new Marine pop for meth from taking "Vector Pills" sold legally. You can smoke pole as a civilian and you can smoke spice, but try either one in the Corps and you're gonna get ****ed in the ass like you deserve. We don't have time for this petty ****, Marines gotta have their heads in the game and their muzzles downrange.

sumnercm
09-29-10, 01:21 AM
So, what is happening to guys that are caught using Spice now, in late 2010? I am wondering if it is an &quot;across the board&quot; other than honorable discharge? Also, what does that really mean out in...

Rains
09-29-10, 11:25 AM
Well in camp pendleton you get an OTH discharge if you are caught with it. It runs rampant there also.

Matlock09
09-29-10, 12:03 PM
man i went to mct with lawless. sucks that happened he wasn't a bad guy.

viper1833
09-29-10, 12:08 PM
Rains what happened to you last I knew you where a hard charging Poolee in Boot Camp. I see your out now what happened, shoot me a PM man.

awbrown1462
09-29-10, 12:18 PM
Clark and a friend, Pfc. Dijon Lawless, both students at Camp Johnson’s Marine Corps Combat Service Support School, learned from another Marine private about “spice,” a legal blend of herbs that produces cannabinoid effects including increased relaxation, loss of coordination and mild hallucinations when smoked.

this would be in the class of not being fit for duty and maybe a danger to others and self

usmc3521
09-30-10, 03:53 PM
If you're told not to smoke it, don't smoke it. A little bit of CS goes a long way. We had a new Marine pop for meth from taking "Vector Pills" sold legally. You can smoke pole as a civilian and you can smoke spice, but try either one in the Corps and you're gonna get ****ed in the ass like you deserve. We don't have time for this petty ****, Marines gotta have their heads in the game and their muzzles downrange.

:thumbup:

Vandrel
10-01-10, 08:57 AM
A Marine here at the facility was caught with spice, long story short, he had MP's at his base housing unit for domestic issues and told the MP's his wife smokes spice and it's in the house, he got...

pocatellodave
10-01-10, 09:36 AM
How long has no smoking in barracks been in effect?I recall cigarettes in the C-rats,and a carton of Luckys cost a buck while at sea.I haven't smoked for years,but if the regs say no smoking,then that's what you best adhere to.
I don't like to see Marines getting in trouble for smoking anything.This isn't a perfect world and crap happens.I hope they dodge a BCD,as that would suck majorly.
Semper Fi

Sgt Leprechaun
10-01-10, 06:10 PM
The no smoking nazis have really, really, cracked down in the last 10 years or so. Nonetheless, this isn't regular tobacco they are smoking...it's a substance that has far less 'quality control' than weed and the effects are largely unknown. Thus, it's been outlawed pretty much everywhere, military wide.

Marines are gonna try and get buzzed no matter WHAT is outlawed, and if the Corps were smart, they would tell congress, "If you are old enough to get killed for your country, you are old enough to have a DAMVNED BEER". If they let the kids drink this, I firmly believe, would be far less of an issue.

USNAviator
10-01-10, 06:25 PM
In the mid to late 60's, my Dad was the Post Commander of the local Legion Club. When he heard that guys from the neighborhood were shipping out he'd close the club down so only members were allowed.The guys that were headed to boot were invited in and the beer was on the house

His reasoning was that if you were old enough to serve and fight , you were old enough to have a beer . BTW, he did the same thing when they returned

The local cops knew all about it but most of then were WW2 or Korea vets and they simply looked the other way. Have times changed

slug
10-01-10, 07:11 PM
Two more here just went in front of the man a couple hours ago for spice, NJP'd with the BC's suggestion for adsep. Sucks.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-01-10, 09:05 PM
Well.....ya do dumb stuff....ya pay one helluva price.

pocatellodave
10-03-10, 10:03 AM
I managed to do dumb stuff two times in the Corps.My skipper,J.J.Burke was a very strict officer.Standing in front of the man wasn't pleasant,but I had it coming.I felt lower than a snakes belly when I about faced and left his office.A few months later I left that unit,was promoted,and a little later I got my Good Conduct Medal.The skipper bore no grudges,and I squared may butt away.It was like no black marks were on my record.Seeing young Marines being given the third degree,and maybe BCD'ed really makes me feel bad.I wish they had skippers that were like Capt. Burke.Square yourself away,and he treated you like you deserved to be treated.

Phantom Blooper
11-28-10, 04:40 PM
‘Legal Highs’ K2 and Spice Will Be Banned
Drug Enforcement Administration Has Declared the Drugs Illegal; Action Takes Effect in 30 Days

By Daniel J. DeNoon

WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD

Nov. 24, 2010 -- Legal highs soon will be illegal across the U.S., the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) said today.

The DEA is using its emergency powers to make K2, Spice, and other "legal high" herbal products Schedule I controlled substances -- that is, illegal drugs with no permitted medical use. The declaration will take effect after a mandatory 30-day waiting period, and will have the effect of law for at least a year.

Some 15 states already have banned some or all "legal high" products. When the waiting period expires, sale or possession of the substances will be a federal crime.

"When the final rule is published, it gives us the authority to do the same investigations as for any other controlled substance," DEA spokeswoman Barbara Carreno tells WebMD.

Specifically, the soon-to-be banned drugs are five designer drugs that mimic the effects of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana. The drugs are JWH-018, JWH-073, JWHY-200, CP-47,497, and cannabicyclohexanol.

"Legal high" products claim to be mixtures of herbs that can be smoked for a psychedelic effect. But the herbs listed on the package label often are missing from the actual product. Instead, the product contains a leafy mixture that is spiked with a designer drug -- usually one of the five drugs listed by the DEA.

The same product often is spiked with different doses of different drugs, making it impossible for users to know what they are taking.

Like THC, the active ingredient in marijuana and other forms of cannabis, these synthetic cannabinoids turn on the cannabinoid receptors (switches that trigger activity) found on many cells in the body. The brain is particularly rich in the CB1 cannabinoid receptor.

But most synthetic cannabinoids are quite different chemical structures from THC. And unlike cannabis, which has been used by humans for millennia, the new drugs have never been tested in humans.

JWH-018 was first made for experimental purposes in 1995 in the lab of Clemson University researcher John W. Huffman, PhD.

"Nobody knows anything about how these new compounds act in the human body. Anecdotal reports say they stick around in the body for quite a long time," Huffman told WebMD earlier this year.

The DEA says the American Association of Poison Control Centers has received more than 1,500 calls relating to products spiked with these designer cannabinoids. The calls came from 48 states and the District of Columbia.

The drugs appear to come from foreign sources. The DEA says that U.S. Customs in 2010 has intercepted multiple shipments of two of the drugs, including one shipment of over 50 kilograms.

Ramadi01
11-29-10, 05:25 AM
I donot feel bad for these boots one bit. I know for a FACT that they are told the minute they arrive to there pretty POG mos school that SPICE is not allowed. Everytime we get a safety brief every friday the 1st Sgt brings it up. EVERY safety standown ive had since 2005 They say dont do it. So im pretty sure these kids yes i call them kids problably knew that it would lead them to what they hope is a way out of fighting a war they seem to act like they didnt knw was going on. Just like all these boot PFC's beating their wives, getting DUI's ect.. The quality of all the Marines today wasnt what it used to be. Lets push 95 Recruits through every platoon so we can look great and our attrition rate goes down!!! YEa lets lower out standards.

IronKnee
11-29-10, 05:08 PM
The DEA is using its emergency powers to

hang on a minute

what ******* idiot decided that giving the DEA "emergency powers" was a good idea?

Kegler300
11-29-10, 05:14 PM
I'm hiding my cigars...and booze...

Blutic
11-29-10, 07:03 PM
I was a legal officer and now a civilan prosecutor. In the justice system we have to look at things in context and whether an act violates "the spirit of the law." This article says they were not briefed on this product "by name." I'll bet you a dozen donuts they were briefed on not smoking tobacco or any other legal product in the barracks. Regardless, I see this like someone underage getting busted for drinking when they drink a couple bottles of coughsyurp to get drunk, which they bought legally.