PDA

View Full Version : Lost Gas Mask

jmwendling
01-22-10, 08:55 PM
Hey everyone,

Short and simply put, I do not have my gas mask. About a month ago we has to bring our gas masks to work to get the serial numbers off them. That day I was riding with another Marine so after we checked the serial numbers in the morning I threw my gasmask in his trunk. I forgot about it being there for a few days and my friend decided to lend his car out to another Marine who was having some family trouble. Well after having the car for a while (about 2 weeks) he finally brought it back, just there was no gas mask in the trunk. After calling him he said he did not have it, or hasn't seen it. He did say that someone stole his battery and they went through the trunk (which was only tied down with a string at the time because it was wrecked). The only problem is there is no police record of the incident.

Ultimately it is my fault for not having my gear on me at all times. First thing Monday morning I am going to have to do a missing gear statement. Its just really bugging me. I have never been in trouble so far and I really don't want a bad mark. What type of trouble will I get in for this situation?

ggyoung
01-22-10, 09:01 PM
Go to your Sgt. You would be surprised at the amount a good Sgt. has rat holed.

egbutler1
01-22-10, 09:07 PM
One of my Marines went threw the same thing, but like the good Sgt below said ask your NCO's. For my Marine it turned out to be nothing cause I had 3 gas masks that I have picked up threw out my time.

echo3oscar1833
01-22-10, 09:10 PM
Gear a drift, is a gear a gift!!!:D

sparkie
01-22-10, 09:23 PM
Sometimes a purchase in the Ville is not a bad idea.

echo3oscar1833
01-22-10, 10:01 PM
Sometimes a purchase in the Ville is not a bad idea.

Thats how I came outa the Corps with extra gear, ;)

jmwendling
01-22-10, 11:25 PM
One of my Marines went threw the same thing, but like the good Sgt below said ask your NCO's. For my Marine it turned out to be nothing cause I had 3 gas masks that I have picked up threw out my time.

How would you do that if it's serialized gear?

Komenko
01-23-10, 12:21 AM
Don't put that stuff on Ebay or the FBI will be knocking at your door lol

jmwendling
01-23-10, 01:10 AM
I just talked to a friend in another unit who has an extra Gasmask. It just so happens that it's used so much the serial number is faded off.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-23-10, 02:41 AM
And, that's the way to do it. Heck, when I left Lejuene the last time as a Platoon Sergeant, I tried to turn in extra stuff to supply and was told "We only want what you signed for, don't need that extra crap...."

So I kept it LOL.

After doling it out to the rest of my Marines that needed extras, of course.

2OLD4E3
11-24-10, 02:12 PM
Just curious what happened to the Marine that started this thread. I am in the almost exact situation. I have lost my gas mask and we are being issued the new technology version. I have to turn in the old gas mask for a new one. I understand that it was my responsibility to keep up with the gear that was issued to me. I'm just wanting to know how much trouble besides another a** chewing I am going to be in when I file this missing gear statement. I have never been in trouble and am willing to pay for it.

R Landry
11-24-10, 02:31 PM
I remember when I was a civilian working for the US Army Corps of Engineers at the Army Training Center in Grafenwoehr, Germany as Chief, Troop Construction & Range Maintenance.

I was doing an annual inventory of all equipment in my shop, including a truck and three CJ-5s. I was missing a manual typewriter. "Where is it?" I called out to my E-9 assistant. "Oh, SGT Blue lent it to his German girlfriend." Rats. So I went ahead an signed off on my report that the typewriter was present with the hope that SGT Blue would get it back to me by next year's report.

The next year, after SGT Blue's DROS, I asked again for the typewriter. Gone.

I reported it missing and I was slapped with a Report of Survey by one of my pals, a US Army Captain. With a wink in his eye, he scolded me for not keeping track of that typewriter and falsifying a report. Nothing went into my persannel jacket, thank God.

Moral of this story? Report the loss of your mask ASAP

Old Marine
11-24-10, 02:40 PM
I don't suppose any of you guys who misplace issued items has a buddy in Supply?

2OLD4E3
11-24-10, 04:42 PM
No, unfortunately not. I know I am going to have to file this missing gear statement on Monday but I am looking for info as far as what they are going to do to me for filing one and having the integrity to say "I have no idea where it is or what happened to it but I am willing to pay the government back for the loss."

Kegler300
11-24-10, 04:54 PM
The most they'll do is make you pay for it. Marines lose gear all the time. Go to your CIF and see if they can give you any guidance on replacing it, whether you have to pay or not. You may only have to complete a missing gear statement.

leprechaun9544
11-24-10, 05:36 PM
I don't suppose any of you guys who misplace issued items has a buddy in Supply?

That was one of the benefits of being a cook in H&S Co., you could always trade something to Supply or Motor T when you needed it ! :thumbup:

Kegler300
11-24-10, 05:45 PM
Being a PersO and PersChf, and not screwing up pay and personnel records had its benefits as well!

Old Marine
11-24-10, 07:28 PM
Being a Supply Marine has many bennies.

SlingerDun
11-24-10, 08:40 PM
I have never been in trouble and am willing to pay for it.I'd much rather take an ass chewing(s) and wait it out........ before stepping up and offering to pay for a piece of gear you can't keep come EAS day. But i've always been kinda tight that way

ggyoung
11-25-10, 10:49 AM
What has happened to the Squad Leaders now days? Don't they have a "stash " of gear rat hold some place"

R Landry
11-25-10, 12:43 PM
When I was at ITR at Camp Lejeune, if one of us lost a web belt or canteen, our squad leaders had us sneak into the barracks of the company next door and swipe one of theirs. This usually started a series of midnight requisitions back & forth between companies that never ended.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-27-10, 05:16 PM
I used to have a stash when I was a Plt Sgt. Quite frankly, nowadays, I'd check ebay before I did anything else. Just a thought.

Old Marine
11-27-10, 08:24 PM
Hey Lep: Isn't most of that stuff they sell on EBay Made In Tiawan.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-27-10, 08:35 PM
LOL. No...considering I sell MY stuff there :) Sometimes.