PDA

View Full Version : I'm back

LHMHMOM
01-22-10, 08:24 PM
Some of you may remember me from last summer. My son left for boot camp in June after a year in DEP. After about a month I received a call from him saying that medical was sending him home but I got no details. I came to you for information and you were amazing. My son is doing really well, will be starting school soon and is considering trying again after the required two year wait. Thank you all again for all of the kind words and encouragement during that time. I've lurked here from time to time since then but haven't posted until now.

I'm back because I have a younger son, 17, who now wants to be a Marine. He is working really hard to get his high school diploma. School has always been a real challenge for him but I know that he can do it. If all goes well he will graduate in December of this year. He spent a lot of time with the recruiters when his brother was in DEP and they know that he is interested. He has been contacted once or twice but we haven't signed any paperwork yet. I want him to get a little closer to getting that diploma before we sign anything just in case it takes him longer to graduate.

I've told you all before but I want to tell you again. This site and the Marines on it are the best. You helped me through adjusting to my older sons decision to become a Marine, the year wait for him to leave, and the very long week between the time that he called to tell us that he was coming home and the time that we picked him up from the airport. That was the longest week of my life.

I just wanted to warn you that I'm back and may need help again!! :) Honestly though, I couldn't be happier!!

sparkie
01-22-10, 09:27 PM
Nothing so fierce as a proud mom,,,,,,,,,,,,

echo3oscar1833
01-22-10, 11:41 PM
Some of you may remember me from last summer. My son left for boot camp in June after a year in DEP. After about a month I received a call from him saying that medical was sending him home but I got no details. I came to you for information and you were amazing. My son is doing really well, will be starting school soon and is considering trying again after the required two year wait. Thank you all again for all of the kind words and encouragement during that time. I've lurked here from time to time since then but haven't posted until now.

I'm back because I have a younger son, 17, who now wants to be a Marine. He is working really hard to get his high school diploma. School has always been a real challenge for him but I know that he can do it. If all goes well he will graduate in December of this year. He spent a lot of time with the recruiters when his brother was in DEP and they know that he is interested. He has been contacted once or twice but we haven't signed any paperwork yet. I want him to get a little closer to getting that diploma before we sign anything just in case it takes him longer to graduate.

I've told you all before but I want to tell you again. This site and the Marines on it are the best. You helped me through adjusting to my older sons decision to become a Marine, the year wait for him to leave, and the very long week between the time that he called to tell us that he was coming home and the time that we picked him up from the airport. That was the longest week of my life.

I just wanted to warn you that I'm back and may need help again!! :) Honestly though, I couldn't be happier!!

Mam, first of all I want to give you my congrats on being such a wonderful, and caring mom. Second I want to touch on a subject that you may not have thought about. I want to say this as carefully as possible, but the chance of your first son getting back from a medical sep from boot camp is a very hard journey, and his chances can be slim to non. Which brings me to my second point, if your second son joins, and makes it. This could cause alot of resentment in between your two sons. Your older son may develp jelous feelings, while your younger son could push negative attitude towards his older brother for not making it. I have seen it happen on a few occasions. I just want to make this aware to you Mam Semper Fi!!!

LHMHMOM
01-23-10, 12:38 PM
Thank you for the thoughts echo. I have thought of this and I have talked to my younger son about it. He understands and I think he will be considerate of his brother. <br />
<br />
It turns out that the...

Zulu 36
01-23-10, 01:32 PM
Well, a high ASVAB won't hurt. How much it will help, who knows? A 94 isn't shabby. <br />
<br />
As you know boot camp is pretty tough on the mind of young kids. One has to have a pretty bloody-minded...

Rocky C
01-23-10, 02:36 PM
Nothing so fierce as a proud mom,,,,,,,,,,,,

:usmc::thumbup::usmc:

LHMHMOM
01-24-10, 11:35 AM
Thanks again to all of you. I LOVE THIS SITE!! I've tried to get both of my boys to get on here but Mom doesn't know a thing!!

sparkie
01-24-10, 12:53 PM
Thanks again to all of you. I LOVE THIS SITE!! I've tried to get both of my boys to get on here but Mom doesn't know a thing!!
And you will not be wise until they hit 24. Funny how they will look at you then.

Zulu 36
01-24-10, 01:12 PM
And you will not be wise until they hit 24. Funny how they will look at you then.

The light bulb came on for me after about 30-seconds on the yellow footprints.

FistFu68
01-24-10, 01:12 PM
:evilgrin: ain't nothin' meaner than a MARINE...'cept His MaMa :D GodBless You @ Your Son's :evilgrin:

Apache
01-24-10, 03:56 PM
God Bless you and your boys.
You are welcome anytime.

LHMHMOM
01-25-10, 08:49 AM
24??? I have to wait that long? It started happening at about 20 with my daughter but that's when she got married. Now with a baby she calls to ask my opinion on everything. It's wonderful!!

My older son did get a lot out of boot camp considering the short time he was there but I still ain't the sharpest tack in the box in his opinion.

Zulu 36
01-25-10, 09:44 AM
24??? I have to wait that long? It started happening at about 20 with my daughter but that's when she got married. Now with a baby she calls to ask my opinion on everything. It's wonderful!!

My older son did get a lot out of boot camp considering the short time he was there but I still ain't the sharpest tack in the box in his opinion.

I got a phone call from my oldest daughter when she was about 22 (and had been married for a couple years - no kids). She wanted to thank me (and her mom) for raising her the way we did. It was all perfectly clear to her now and we obviously knew what we were doing even though she was our first child. I was floored.

Of course that was shortly after she got back from her Air Force tech school.

She's a great girl and even though she's just going on 26, I value her opinions on a great many issues, including some personal matters.

LHMHMOM
01-25-10, 10:42 AM
Wow, she sounds like a great kid. Even if I never hear those words from my kids, I know that I'll see a difference in them someday. I see it in my daughter and I will see it in my boys as well. It's weird how our relationship with them changes after they are on their own.

duragliter
01-25-10, 11:07 AM
Thank you for the thoughts echo. I have thought of this and I have talked to my younger son about it. He understands and I think he will be considerate of his brother. <br />
<br />
It turns out that the...

LHMHMOM
01-25-10, 11:26 AM
I am well aware of the fact that my son may not get a second chance. I'm not making excuses for him, he did have a medical condition that contributed to his discharge. His discharge papers show...

duragliter
01-25-10, 12:10 PM
I'm not trying to sound like a butt-wipe, Mom. But, you're are the one that said he &quot;frauded.&quot; <br />
<br />
I have two tours wearing the Hat and training recruits. Never once did I run into a &quot;previous...

LHMHMOM
01-25-10, 12:32 PM
As I said, I know that he has a rough road if he wants to try again. The head recruiter here said that he would work with him to make it happen if he wants to try. We will just have to wait and see...

SmithAdrian
01-25-10, 12:36 PM
You weren't looking hard enough GySgt, I had 2 former frauds in my Plt...both of them again BS'd around and got thrown out...but that's not my point...(one was a medical fraud...the other idiot...

FistFu68
01-25-10, 12:45 PM
:evilgrin: MaMa tell that Son your the BOX all your tack's came out of including HIM :D :iwo:

duragliter
01-25-10, 12:49 PM
I don't want to belabor the point.

Thanks for your input, smith. :)

Last questions, Mom. Since you are checking his RE Code, just what is he checking? Who is trying to get back to recruit training? You, or him?

Maybe you should have gone in the first place...

I'm done.

Good luck.

LHMHMOM
01-25-10, 12:50 PM
Thanks Adrian. It's good to know that others did it and were successful. He obviously made a mistake and told them he had the issue before when he hadn't but I hope that if he chooses to try again...

LHMHMOM
01-25-10, 01:02 PM
I know, I know, I have to cut the strings. :( He is staying with his sister right now out of town helping her with his 3 month old niece and I have his papers here. (I think I'm making it worse). I guess my questions right now are more for me than for him. I need to let him worry about it when the time comes. It's so hard for me to do that. But I'm still going to check his RE code and ask you guys about it if that's ok...

Rocky C
01-25-10, 01:17 PM
Where here to help Carol.
Just a Part of what Marines do!!!

Rocky

LHMHMOM
01-25-10, 01:45 PM
Thanks Rocky. I came home for lunch and pulled his paperwork. His reentry code is RE-3F. I googled it and it looks like he needs a waiver to be eligible. I'm not sure what kind of waiver or what the process is. I'm going to try not to worry about it anymore until he makes a decision. Right now his mind is on college so that is what we will focus on.

As for my younger son, hopefully he can get his diploma in December and head out to boot camp soon after.

SmithAdrian
01-25-10, 01:47 PM
We should have all known it was a RE-3F because that's the fraud re-entry...Mom, can you look in box 26 and post his separation code?

Rocky C
01-25-10, 01:53 PM
Thanks Rocky. I came home for lunch and pulled his paperwork. His reentry code is RE-3F. I googled it and it looks like he needs a waiver to be eligible. I'm not sure what kind of waiver or what the process is. I'm going to try not to worry about it anymore until he makes a decision. Right now his mind is on college so that is what we will focus on.

As for my younger son, hopefully he can get his diploma in December and head out to boot camp soon after.

I've been reading and responding to your posts for over a year now.
Your a Good person and a Good Mom.
One foot in front of the other and continue forward.
Myself and other Marines will be here for you and your Sons :thumbup:

LHMHMOM
01-25-10, 01:58 PM
That means a lot Rocky. I appreciate knowing that I can come here and ask questions that I may not be in a position to ask a recruiter.

Box 26 separation code is JDAI

SmithAdrian
01-25-10, 02:02 PM
Eh nothing revealing there...Just another code to say fraud...honestly if he wants to go back...it'll be a bit of a mission, but overall it's FAR from impossible...as far as his paper is concerned...he could have been a moment of truth drop...they come back all the time...when their time is up that is...He should be fine, based on what I've seen (way too much time in RSP and MRP) and heard.

LHMHMOM
01-25-10, 02:06 PM
Thanks Adrian. We will wait and see what happens.

echo3oscar1833
01-25-10, 02:08 PM
That means a lot Rocky. I appreciate knowing that I can come here and ask questions that I may not be in a position to ask a recruiter.

Box 26 separation code is JDAI

Mom, your doing fine Mam, your just doing, what any mother would do. Which is trying to help her children do the best in life that they can. I'm sure you are very well aware of "cutting the strings" theory. I see it all the time, working in the school system. Best thing for you is to do what your doing, and push your sons to do the best in life that they can. If that means one of your sons gets the chance to be a Marine, and one does not. Well thats just a fact of life, which I'm sure you understand. Tell you other son who got seperated from Boot Camp, to look into the National Guard, Army Reserves, or Active Army. There waiver process is alot easier, and this way they both get the chance to serve there country. Semper Fi Mam!!!

SmithAdrian
01-25-10, 02:16 PM
I'm actually doing what Echo said, I got hurt...my waiver process is damn near impossible trying to go Officer...so Like LtCol Bell told me I'm going into the Army...if I can transfer after that, OUTSTANDING...if not I'll have my BDU's on the outside with an Eagle Globe and Anchor on the inside...(only because I don't rate to have it anywhere else, or I'd put a 2 by 4 sized one on my Uniform lol) The Army might not be the Marine Corps...but the real goal is to protect the homefront...and you can do that from any branch of service.

LHMHMOM
01-25-10, 02:16 PM
Thanks Echo. It's good to hear that I'm normal, whatever that is. :) I'm just wondering, does the two year waiting period apply even if he chose to go into another branch?

SmithAdrian
01-25-10, 02:18 PM
Thanks Echo. It's good to hear that I'm normal, whatever that is. :) I'm just wondering, does the two year waiting period apply even if he chose to go into another branch?

He should have a paper somewhere that shows he has a 2 year wait for the Marine Corps and 6 months for anywhere else.(Marines, please correct me if this is wrong...I know it's 6 months for the Army and Airforce...Navy may have something else going on) I'd look for mine...but I know it's probably gone.

echo3oscar1833
01-25-10, 02:35 PM
He should have a paper somewhere that shows he has a 2 year wait for the Marine Corps and 6 months for anywhere else.(Marines, please correct me if this is wrong...I know it's 6 months for the Army and Airforce...Navy may have something else going on) I'd look for mine...but I know it's probably gone.

I wouldn't wait around if I was him, I would be getting my butt down to the Army Recruiters ASAP!!!:D

echo3oscar1833
01-25-10, 02:37 PM
Assuming on something, like that when in fact that the Army could probably work out something. It is a waste of time to assume, instead of taking direct action on the matter. I hope that makes sense Mom:marine:

SmithAdrian
01-25-10, 02:41 PM
The Army usually is better about waivers lol. I was at the Army rectuiting office 3 months after I got home...and they told me they couldn't even look at me until my 6 months was up...I then proceded to call around and got Valley Forge Military College and I should be there in July for their Early Commissioning Program.

LHMHMOM
01-25-10, 02:52 PM
I looked at his paperwork and can't find the waiting period. I'll look again tonight. Good luck at Valley Forge Adrian!!