PDA

View Full Version : Jump Commands

fasteropr
01-22-10, 02:24 PM
Maybe some of you Airborne Marines or especially Jumpmasters can help me out here. I had a new client in my business last week who noticed my Jump wings so we spent a little time jaw jacking about jumping as he said he was with the 101st for two years in the 80's. Now I know alot has changed in the Corps but I can't imagine these changing, but from what I recall, after 30 jumps, they were hand/arm signals and went like this; STAND UP, HOOK UP, CHECK GEAR, CHECK GEAR AGAIN (at which time everyone in the stik did an about face to check gear again and PAT the person on the back if everything was OK and did an about face again to face forward, then GET READY and finally STAND IN THE DOOR. As I recall this was all done with the RED light on. He claimed that you only CHECK GEAR ONCE and this was all done when the RED light was on. I didn't say anything but if that was the case the last man in the stik wouldn't have had his GEAR checked by anyone. Also, the DZ was so many seconds long, the GREEN light came on at the beginning of the DZ. Otherwise if anything went wrong during any of the commands you could miss the DZ, either that or the last man/men in the stik would miss the DZ. He also stated that he was a Jump Master as a corporal whereas I KNOW at Jump School all the Cadre were Sgt or above as was the case in ANGLICO. I don't remember using/relearning different jump commands that I learned in Army jump school when I started jumpin with ANGLICO. There's another post on this site where a Marine is trying to get a song thats' going on over and over, out of his head. This is kinda like that for me. Even though I only made 30 jumps and it was over 40 years ago some things you never forget. And at my age it may be the normal course of events. However, in my gut I think not. I learned the morris code (MOS 2533) way back then also and I remember each and every character exactly, same with my serial #. Anyway if any of you can enlighten me I'd certainly appreciate it. SF Airborne!

FistFu68
01-22-10, 02:29 PM
:evilgrin: You ever get Your Ass shot out of a OV-10 Bronco Gravity was the JumpMaster (lmfao) S/F That :D :thumbup:

fasteropr
01-22-10, 02:42 PM
:evilgrin: You ever get Your Ass shot out of a OV-10 Bronco Gravity was the JumpMaster (lmfao) S/F That
Not that I remember! However I do remember Gravity and the Almighty Hawk takin a bite out of my ass more than once. :D :iwo: SF Airborne

FistFu68
01-22-10, 03:41 PM
:evilgrin: If you had been out the back of an OV-10-BRONCO, You definately would have remembered,I've done tha C-119,C-141 Starlifter,C-130, actually our Class # 40 was 1st.too ever do so outta the C-141.A couple C-46'S,but met Very Few Marines that ever did the OV-10 Bronco would take an attitude of Flight compared too 11.30 on a Clock with High G-Force and actually Shot our Force Recon Arses out.Never ridin' any Ride at 6 Flags yet that has even come Close OOORAH :scared: :thumbup:

fasteropr
01-22-10, 03:53 PM
Sooo... help me with the jump commands, is that how you remember em? SF Airborne :iwo:

FistFu68
01-22-10, 04:17 PM
:evilgrin: Everthing 'cept the Exit was done on Red,When Green came on It was Go Go Go Git the Fuc outta my Plane by the Jumpmaster.Then Your 4,000 count.Just Curious You were still going AIRBORNE while Jumping as a Marine Did Benning get too You that Much???(LMFAO) We were Leaping Leathernecks :D :thumbup:

zx6rdr
01-22-10, 04:25 PM
If you had been out the back of an OV-10-BRONCO, You definately would have remembered,I've done tha C-119,C-141 Starlifter,C-130, actually our Class # 40 was 1st.too ever do so outta the C-141.A couple C-46'S,but met Very Few Marines that ever did the OV-10 Bronco would take an attitude of Flight compared too 11.30 on a Clock with High G-Force and actually Shot our Force Recon Arses out.Never ridin' any Ride at 6 Flags yet that has even come Close OOORAH

Fist,

Where the h3ll would you guys fit in these damn things???? Doesnt look like a whole lotta room for loaded combat team of killers....

http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/ov-10-nog.jpg

zx6rdr
01-22-10, 04:26 PM
http://www.scaleaero.com/OV-10D_155395_FB_2a.jpg

fasteropr
01-22-10, 04:32 PM
:evilgrin: Everthing 'cept the Exit was done on Red,When Green came on It was Go Go Go Git the Fuc outta my Plane by the Jumpmaster.Then Your 4,000 count.Just Curious You were still going AIRBORNE while Jumping as a Marine Did Benning get too You that Much???(LMFAO) We were Leaping Leathernecks :D :thumbup:
Not sure of what LMFAQ means or whether Benning got to me? I do remember every time getting down and doing 10 or 20 during jump school and getting up to yell MARINE AIRBORNE rather than ARMY AIRBORN it automatically earned me the right to get down and knock off another 10/20 simply because I prefaced airborne with Marine. Anyway it's reasurring to hear the jump commands are as I remember them. Thanx SF Airborne!

FistFu68
01-22-10, 05:23 PM
:evilgrin: ZX6,If You look aft.between the rear booms that little cone on the main Fuselage of the Aircraft was Left off!!!The shortest Jumper was 1st.One in and shoved 4Ward into the Front of the Plane facing Rear ward another packed in by Size of Jumper Usually the Last Jumper in Aircraft was 1ST,Jumper out His legs were always hanging out since it was Aircraft Aliminum when they got ready too drop us out they would pour on the Power tilt the Nose Up and We would literally Slide OUT.I wanna say the most Marines we ever packed in was 7.Believe Me it was Pucker Factor everything happened very Fast from Exit too 'Chute opening and Running off the Guys Chute that opened before You and Stole Your Air Is how we called it!!!:scared: :thumbup:

fasteropr
01-22-10, 05:36 PM
zx6 name/# of that plane? SF Airborne

FistFu68
01-22-10, 08:14 PM
:evilgrin: ZX6,case your wondering We were sitting on our 6's with our legs fully extended spread too each bulkhead We were A**H**E 2 Belly button" no Standing Up Crammed in like Sardines :D :thumbup:

Sgt Leprechaun
01-23-10, 02:39 AM
You basically 'fall' out of the back. BTDT. It's an experience to be sure. The aircraft is, for all intents and purposes, upside down, and gravity does the work.

TunTvrnWarrior
01-23-10, 07:36 AM
I enjoyed watching y'all doing low level and high level insertions out of the back of the OV10 Bronco. We would remove the cone out of the back of the aircraft to accomadate you on the "A" model. It looked highly uncomfortable to me. They packed you in like sardines.

FistFu68
01-23-10, 04:05 PM
:evilgrin: Right on Cpl.T,it was Tight in there;but I'd give My Left GONAD for one of Those OV-10'S maybe If I WIN POWERBALL $$$$$$$$$$ :D :thumbup:

TunTvrnWarrior
01-23-10, 06:28 PM
:evilgrin: Right on Cpl.T,it was Tight in there;but I'd give My Left GONAD for one of Those OV-10'S maybe If I WIN POWERBALL $$$$$$$$$$ :D :thumbup:
We spent multi millions on each OV10 to upgrade it to a "D SLEP" (Service Life Extension Program) and then stood down all 3 VMO units and gave them away to the DEA in Cape Canaveral and third world countries right after the retro-fit. They still had "Budweiser" patches from Vietnam from bullet holes. There has been talk of bringing them back but as brand new aircraft. Personally I would like to see either the OV10 to come back to the Corps or aquire A10 Warhogs for the Corps. I may be wrong, but the retro-fit stopped insertions because of Avionics put in the cone (rear hatch). There are still plenty of them left in the boneyard in Arizona I believe.