PDA

View Full Version : MOS 7051 Question

castner36
01-20-10, 11:24 AM
Good afternoon Marines. I have a question and if the Marines on this board have the time to answer, it will be greatly appreciated.
As of now I am just a 22 yr old wannabe Marine. I am training and losing the unneeded lbs. that I have from playing college football and finishing up the last of my degree at the local JUCO. When the weight has dropped off and I hit the height/weight requirement I will be taking the ASVAB and enlisting (or entering into the DEP) to earn the title in which you have earned.
My question I ask today is about the MOS 7051 Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting. If I meet all the requirements on the ASVAB, and have my 2 yr degree (Associates in Applied Science Fire Science Degree), does this increase my chances of getting this MOS? Are there guaranteed contracts in which I can have this MOS written into? Thank you Marines for answering this question.
-Nick Castner

firedog974
01-20-10, 01:13 PM
Good afternoon Marines. I have a question and if the Marines on this board have the time to answer, it will be greatly appreciated.
As of now I am just a 22 yr old wannabe Marine. I am training and losing the unneeded lbs. that I have from playing college football and finishing up the last of my degree at the local JUCO. When the weight has dropped off and I hit the height/weight requirement I will be taking the ASVAB and enlisting (or entering into the DEP) to earn the title in which you have earned.
My question I ask today is about the MOS 7051 Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting. If I meet all the requirements on the ASVAB, and have my 2 yr degree (Associates in Applied Science Fire Science Degree), does this increase my chances of getting this MOS? Are there guaranteed contracts in which I can have this MOS written into? Thank you Marines for answering this question.
-Nick Castner

You will not be able to get a guarantee for a specific job, only a field. The 7000 field is for Aircraft rescue firefighting, Airfield Ops, and Aircraft recovery. All 3 work hand-in-hand on a regular basis. I was lucky and got 7051. It is a lot larger field than the other 2, so you have a pretty good chance of getting it.

brian0351
01-20-10, 01:17 PM
Two year degree doesn't really mean anything in the Real World or in the Marines.

castner36
01-20-10, 01:20 PM
Thank you to those Marines that have answered. I just want to finish up and get that 2 year degree for myself. Finally figured out what the heck to do with my life and flip flopping 4 years and just riding the coat tails of athletics pushing me along. The two year degree is just for me but was curious if it would help my chances of getting that MOS. I plan on finish up and getting the 4 yr degree when I am active or when my enlistment is up

firedog974
01-20-10, 02:03 PM
Thank you to those Marines that have answered. I just want to finish up and get that 2 year degree for myself. Finally figured out what the heck to do with my life and flip flopping 4 years and just riding the coat tails of athletics pushing me along. The two year degree is just for me but was curious if it would help my chances of getting that MOS. I plan on finish up and getting the 4 yr degree when I am active or when my enlistment is up

If you are seeking a fire science degree, and get the 7051 MOS, the Corps offers a degree program through the Community College of the Air Force. Also, if you are interested in firefighting, the MOS school for 7051 is probably the best in the nation. You will leave that school a certified (through IFSAC) firefighter 2, haz-mat ops, airport firefighter, and hold a red-card. It is good stuff!

castner36
01-20-10, 02:14 PM
Yes I am planning on getting the four year degree. Unfortunately, Illinois does not accept the DoD fire academy ff2 certification. When linked with a Dept. you still must go through the state ff2 academy. But the rest of the certs (haz mat, airport, and emt). Either way im busting butt training and drop the weight so I can sign those papers and be on my way to MCRD San Diego. Word on all of the message boards that I have seen is that it is extremly difficult to get this MOS.

firedog974
01-20-10, 02:18 PM
Yes I am planning on getting the four year degree. Unfortunately, Illinois does not accept the DoD fire academy ff2 certification. When linked with a Dept. you still must go through the state ff2 academy. But the rest of the certs (haz mat, airport, and emt). Either way im busting butt training and drop the weight so I can sign those papers and be on my way to MCRD San Diego. Word on all of the message boards that I have seen is that it is extremly difficult to get this MOS.

I will say definately stay on your PT. This is a VERY physically demanding MOS, and the school is pretty tough physically and mentally. Talk to your recruiter, and see what he tells you. Other branches offer a similar MOS, but NO ONE does it like the Corps!