PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions.

slambert
01-20-10, 09:37 AM
I have a few questions about whether im taking the right course to become a USMC officer.

-join
-bootcamp
-MOS training
-marine combat training
-four yr university in PLC program

I want to join as a reserve so i can go to college as a fulltime student then once i graduate and become an officer i will switch to active duty. I plan on contracting for 6 years but im almost positive i will be in longer. I dont mind being deployed either.

Is their any times of programs that i can do on weekends that will help prepare me for bootcamp? Is their a training schedule i should start. I graduate at the end of may and want to start preparing now. Im looking forward to bootcamp and cant wait but i want to be prepared for the harshness of it all.

My parents want me to do some training before i completly buy in and im stuck with my desicion. thats why im asking about weekend marine bootcamp training camps.

Thanks for everything.
:flag:

Lisa 23
01-20-10, 10:31 AM
Enlisted Marines go to boot camp, and officers train at (OCS) Officers Candidate School.
Have you talked with an OSO (Officers Selection Officer) yet?
There are a few Officers on board here, but I don't think they've been here in a bit. They would be able to answer your questions better.

This site might help give you some answers that you are looking for.......
The Path To Becoming A Marine Corps Officer
http://www.marineofficerprograms.com/pages/officer-candidate-course-occ.php

slambert
01-20-10, 11:05 AM
OCS wouldnt apply to me would it? I am a high school senior not a college senior. I would need NROTC or PLC so i could become an officer during college instead of after, right?

The OCC Program has ground, aviation and law options and is available to college seniors and college graduates (both men and women) who are in good academic standing and meet a variety of moral and physical requirements. In essence, you apply to attend Officer Candidate School (OCS) in Quantico, Virginia, after completion of your degree. This pre-commissioning training at OCS consists of one ten-week training session. The OCC classes have traditionally been conducted 3 times per year.

brian0351
01-20-10, 01:11 PM
You can try Platoon Leaders Course

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marinetrng/a/marineplc.htm

And no...there is no such thing that allows you to "Try out" the Marine Corps to see if you like it. This is the Marines...not your high school football team. You either do it or you don't.

MLMonk
01-20-10, 02:27 PM
Well, Marines are capitalized for one.

On to your question. There is nothing wrong with that route you are taking, but I will ask you this, why go through bootcamp, first? If your plans are to become an officer, why not just focus on that instead. Unless your plans are to get a deployment if you commission, I don't really see the goal behind going enlisted first.

I will tell you this, since I am taking the same exact route you are planing on doing, only I am getting deployed soon. You can go PLC as a reservist, or not even in the Marines at all. If you are under the PLC as a reservist you will NOT deploy, unless you get out of it and go on one. The upside really to doing reserves first is that they pay for your college. I'm getting 100% tuition paid for from the VA and I also have the post 9-11 GI bill to use, too.