PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted to Officer

mdsalern
01-19-10, 01:09 PM
I posted earlier about my wish to join and questions about doing so in "Advice for an older wanna-be". I have been told that I should become an officer, but thought that I was disqualified, as I needed a waiver to join. I gave it a shot today and called my local Officer Selection Officer and was given the news that I was not disqualified. His exact word were "Shouldn't be a problem. I've gotten guys much worse than you approved. Work on your PFT". Oh, Happy Day!

He gave me a few things to consider, one of which was enlisting and trying to obtain a meritorious commission. From what I have found, I would qualify for one currently as I have more than 75 credit hours. This seems like a more direct route and one where I could prove (or disprove) myself. My question now is, what are the actual chances of being able to obtain a commission once I'm an enlisted man?

Thanks again for the help.

josephd
01-19-10, 01:17 PM
meritorious commission?........chances of getting a meritorious commission would be very very slim, I haven't heard of any meritorious commissions since Vietnam when they were done in the field.

mdsalern
01-19-10, 01:25 PM
Meritorious Commissioning Program

MCO 1040.43A

MARINES WITH AT LEAST 75 SEMESTER HOURS OF ACTUAL COURSE WORK
A LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE FROM AN NROTC AFFILIATED COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY
MUST BE ABLE TO COMPLETE BA DEGREE REQUIREMENTS WITHIN 18 MONTHS
U. S. CITIZEN
BE OF OFFICER CALIBER
GOOD MORAL CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY
NOT PREVIOUSLY FAILED ANY OFFICER PROGRAMS
AT LEAST 21 BUT NOT OLDER THAN 30
AFQT => 74 or SAT=>1000 (Critical Reading and Math combined) or ACT=>22 composite
NO WAIVERS OF TEST SCORES WILL BE CONSIDERED.

MSSlaughter
01-19-10, 03:44 PM
Thing is, you need a degree for a commission. If you have 75+ credit hours but no degree then MCP (seen above) is definitely an option. If you have a degree then you have 2 choices: Work on getting a commission through the OSO now...or enlist and go ECP after a while.

Don't assume you have to prove yourself by enlisting first. The Corps has a method of making sure you will be a solid officer. Its called OCS! I've known MANY outstanding officers who weren't enlisted first. That's not to say that you won't have a different perspective having been enlisted first...its just not necessary.

Either way...any commissioning route is very competitive. If you go enlisted first you need to be head and shoulders above your peers to get accepted into MCP or ECP. Its hard to distinguish yourself amongst Marines. We're all trying to be the best...at all times.

Check out:
https://www.marines.usmc.mil/G3/Officer/enlistedOfficer.htm
for good up to date info on the various commissioning programs.

ggyoung
01-19-10, 03:49 PM
I hope you get it. But, what I want to know is what does this mean, " I've gotten guys much worse than you approved" mean? To me that says our officer corps is not up to par.

MSSlaughter
01-19-10, 03:55 PM
Doesn't really bother me... OSOs (and recruiters for that matter) are looking for at least minimum standards to be met. Then they get to be officer CANDIDATES. Essentially they get a chance to prove themselves. Who knows, maybe that future leader of Marines with a 74 AFQT is an exemplary leader, moreso than the one with a 99...even though Mr. 74 barely met the minimum standards.

OSOs don't make officers necessarily....they provide the meat that Sergeant Instructors turn into officers at OCS.

Being enlisted...I know a few ASVAB waivers who I'd go to war with any day over some book smart folk.

At the end of the day, once one meets the criteria...it's all about the intangibles. You know...Honor, Courage, Committment...those things...

mdsalern
01-19-10, 06:44 PM
A little more information on my situation and what I've been told by the OSO.

I understand that you need a commission to become an officer (or in the case of the MCP, to get promoted?) The OSO told me that I could finish this semester, go to 10 weeks of training during the summer, finish my degree, then come back and earn my commission. Or, since I'm on the line in terms of hours, I could be classified as a sophomore, then I get to drag my degree out for two years and spend two summers with the Marine Corps. He also gave me the idea of enlisting and trying through the MCP, which seems like the most direct route - and the one I like.

I currently have the 75 hours required to earn a commission through the MCP. I'm a junior at Columbia University and a horrible student. I want to join the Marines and have been considering an 03XX contract. I will have to get a waiver to join. I had not considered becoming an officer as I did not believe that my background would be waiverable to become one. That is what the OSO's "I've gotten guys much worse than you approved" comment was from.

To MSSlaughter: Thank-you for the Honor, Courage, Commitment comment. I feel that that is exactly why I would join the Marines. As for the thinking that I have to enlist first, I know that I don't have to enlist first and have even been warned that it is a hard life. I have a brother that enlisted in the Navy (I know...) and was able to attend the academy.

I understand that it is competitive, but want to make sure that it isn't a pipe dream. I went to Columbia because I wanted to attend a dual degree program to get my bachelors and MBA. After two years into my degree, I found out that there have only been two people to EVER be admitted to the program. A year ago, the dean then informed me that I had a snowball's chance in hell to be the third. I've pretty much blown off school since (Again, I know...). Just don't want to get false hopes.

My thought process is if I don't obtain a commission, IF I get out, use the GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon program, and finish my degree. Either way...I feel 4 years in the Marine Corps, serving my country isn't a waste.

Pardon the long post, thanks again for the help.

MSSlaughter
01-19-10, 08:51 PM
Look closer at MCP... Its a commissioning PROGRAM, meaning it lets you into a process to get a commission. It doesn't give you a commission. You go to OCS, then have 18 months to finish the degree. It is most certainly not the most direct route. You have to be a pretty stellar enlisted Marine to get into MCP. No offense to anyone out there in internetland but it is extremely rare to be considered stellar with less than a year out of MOS school. So...3 months of boot camp, few weeks of MCT, few weeks to months of MOS school, then a year (or much more likely more) establishing yourself, then you apply and maybe you get accepted...if not you try again the next year and get accepted, then 3 months of OCS, 18 months of college then a commission. That's all assuming there's not deployment or lengthy training exercise in there somewhere. Count on that, though, if you go 03. If you left for boot camp today...in a perfect scenario, you get butter bars in 3 years. The more likely scenario is more like 5. The vast majority of MCP selectees are Sgts of above.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I just want you to make an informed decision. MCP is great for something to aspire to....but if you enlist first...there is A LOT between you and a commission. Your first two plus years in the Marine Corps are certainly not something to just "get through" in order to eventually get a commission.