PDA

View Full Version : Whats to do at Fort Sill

Reddog48
01-19-10, 01:03 PM
My son is at Fort Sill awaiting training. He's getting bored. I can hear it in his voice. Any suggestions I can give him on things to do on or off base? Thanks

Zulu 36
01-19-10, 01:41 PM
My son is at Fort Sill awaiting training. He's getting bored. I can hear it in his voice. Any suggestions I can give him on things to do on or off base? Thanks

Two cheap things are improving his PT and reading. Start on the Commandant's Reading List.

If you're in the gift giving mode, buy him a Kindle 2. Most books via Kindle are cheaper than print versions. My oldest daughter loves hers in Afghanistan (and she loves the gym too). Of course the initial outlay is big, but eventually it pays for itself.

Bored is much better than in trouble. He should stay out of the bars and away from those cheap wimmin.

My daughter's routine is basically sleep, eat, work, PT, eat, square away gear/clean rifle, read, sleep, start over, with occasional rocket attacks to add excitement. There just isn't anything else to do. So Fort Sill is good practice.

giveen
01-19-10, 01:56 PM
I played computer games, cheaper than beer and keeps you out of trouble.

Juicemang
01-19-10, 02:11 PM
I played computer games, cheaper than beer and keeps you out of trouble.

I agree, except I liked playing computer games WITH beer when I was bored on base.

giveen
01-19-10, 02:11 PM
LOL that works too.

ARTYPIG
01-19-10, 02:13 PM
I agree with the others. PT is always a good choice and he could also ask for material on his MOS like I did when I was there. That helped as I ended up honor grad. The bars will get him into trouble, besides they water it down!! Take Care!

Juicemang
01-19-10, 02:18 PM
If your son is awaiting training, I assume you mean he's at MOS school? Tell him to get up with his S-3 and see about taking some MCI's online. I did all of my MCI's as a LCpl online with my S-3, and had full points for promotion from them in a matter of days. I figure if he has a week or two before his class picks up, he might as well get those bad boys out of the way.

Integrity57
01-19-10, 02:54 PM
I used to live down the road from there and it was a decent town about 3 years ago but from what I've heard it's started to go down hill and there's not much really left in Lawton. But if he or his buddies have vehicles I'd say go check out Bricktown in OKC on the weekends or the malls, there's always some decent looking women in OKC lol ;).

Wheels123
01-22-10, 04:55 PM
He could go hump Mt Scott. That isn't too far away.

ggyoung
01-22-10, 06:20 PM
STAY OUT OF LAWTON. Lawton OK. is the armpit and butt hole of the world.

codeman92190
01-23-10, 07:08 PM
I am actually with your son here at Ft. Sill. I don't know him personally, but I hear his name called in formation.

And, yes, he is bored. Everyone is bored here, but that's just the name of the game.

Reddog48
01-24-10, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all the replys. That has got to be torture. He says that the next class starts in March.
Good Luck Codeman and thank you.

Zulu 36
01-24-10, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the replys. That has got to be torture. He says that the next class starts in March.
Good Luck Codeman and thank you.

Oi vey! At least they don't have to stand mess duty anymore while in casual status.

Well, perfect time to PT and increase his knowledge. As I suggested before he could get going on the Commandant's Reading List, see if he can take some required MCIs (he'll need to take them eventually anyway). If he knows what his specific MOS is going to be, he might be able to find some of the schoolhouse manuals, etc, and do a little advance learning and get a jump in class.

I guess I was pretty much a bookworm and reading and self-learning have always been entertaining to me. A little music in the background and I was zoned. I was a cheap date. :D

MontezumaCpl
01-24-10, 12:56 PM
Gym and reading - always good ideas. Any material that may help his MOS schooling knowledge or MCIs is a great idea too. Always good to study your knowledge. Book work and learning new things always kept me busy. Learning the various types of equipment and gear related to his MOS is good thing to start as well. I don't expect all Marines to be accomplished bookworms, but knowledge is valuable and as they say-powerful.

Stay safe!

Danny C Smith
01-25-10, 01:42 PM
STAY OUT OF LAWTON. Lawton OK. is the armpit and butt hole of the world.

Talked with a bud of mine today about this thread.
He is pryor Army and said stay out of Lawton!
He agreed about humping Mt. Scott though:)
Not sure who he was refering to as Mt. Scott! lol.
Didn't ask. Must be some local there.

Smitty:usmc:

Wheels123
01-25-10, 01:52 PM
Mt. Scott is nice. There is also a place to eat nearby and get buffalo burgers. Like others have said, overall that place sucks.

ARTYPIG
01-25-10, 03:29 PM
I replied before and after reading everyone's reply and we all concur that the place sucks. Which brings me to this observation: It probably won't be long before the Marine Corps wants it because it does suck and normally if it sucks, we get it. LOL