PDA

View Full Version : Updated-I need help

drunkbunk
01-19-10, 01:06 AM
Now that I have updated my profile I hope to get some help. I am looking to get some advice, I was arested for 'Inflict Corporal Injury on Spouse' aka domestic violence. I have talked to a recuiter and he is saying nothing he can do, talk to a judge. After talking to a judge he said I need to make a formal request, this will take some money because I need a lawyer for this. After hearing this I told my recuiter and he said the problem is a national law that says because I got dv on my record I can't own a gun and there is no way around this. My question is should I move forward with getting a lawyer and try getting it cleared in court or will this gun thing put a hold on my dream of becoming a brother in the usmc? Any advice? I try to get some from my recuiter with not much luck, starting tomarrow I am going to talk to another one and ask if they have any information on the topic. Has anyone heard of this?

Komenko
01-19-10, 01:21 AM
Now that I have updated my profile I hope to get some help. I am looking to get some advice, I was arested for 'Inflict Corporal Injury on Spouse' aka domestic violence. I have talked to a recuiter and he is saying nothing he can do, talk to a judge. After talking to a judge he said I need to make a formal request, this will take some money because I need a lawyer for this. After hearing this I told my recuiter and he said the problem is a national law that says because I got dv on my record I can't own a gun and there is no way around this. My question is should I move forward with getting a lawyer and try getting it cleared in court or will this gun thing put a hold on my dream of becoming a brother in the usmc? Any advice? I try to get some from my recuiter with not much luck, starting tomarrow I am going to talk to another one and ask if they have any information on the topic. Has anyone heard of this?

I've dealt with this sort of issue when i was 7th ESBs Legal Chief. if you can't own a gun your pretty much out of luck unless you can get it dropped. Had a Staff Sergeant that had the same issue as you have but it happened while he was in and within 2 months he was Adminsep from the Marines all because he was not allowed to handle a weapon and Marines go to the Rifle range every year to qual. So if he can touch a weapon and can't qual on the range he had to go. there was no other way around it.

Marine84
01-19-10, 05:57 AM
AND you have to be able to get along with the people you live with. You'll meet a lot of different people and have to sleep with a lot of different people and you'll have to deal with it without smackin' somebody upside the head just because you snap. It's called D I S C I P L I N E!

Sgt Leprechaun
01-20-10, 01:47 AM
It's called "The Lautenberg Amendment" and your recruiter is 100 percent correct. Unless the charge is COMPLETELY eliminated from your record or you were found 'not guilty', you are prohibited from...