PDA

View Full Version : Are these realistic goals?

iamthewalrus
01-18-10, 06:24 PM
I am 17 years old and thinking of joining the Marines after I'm done with high school. However, I'm looking for something a bit past standard infantry (nothing against all of you, I have great respect).

While I realize this sounds a bit pretentious for someone not yet even in the military, I'd like to eventually become a Scout/Sniper with possible special forces type stuff in the future depending on how I do.

I scored above 2000 on my SAT this year, so I'm well off mentally. I also like to think I'm pretty well off physically. From looking at boot camp requirements, I'm sure I could at least get close to first class on PFTs now, and I plan on putting a lot of work into fitness in the next while.

As well as English, I am fluent in Spanish and decent in French. My school also offers an Arabic program if enough people sign up, and I'd like to take it next year.

I don't get a whole lot of practice with guns (.22s mostly) but I'm a pretty good shot.

Are these realistic goals? I realize that many people probably join with high expectations and have their dreams crushed, so I'm hoping I wouldn't be one of them.

TunTvrnWarrior
01-18-10, 06:49 PM
You need to be thinking of college and maybe NROTC with a Marine Option. If I am correct (Marines correct me if I am wrong), you get selected to be a sniper as an enlisted Marine. I would expend my energies looking for scholarships right now.

iamthewalrus
01-18-10, 07:02 PM
You need to be thinking of college and maybe NROTC with a Marine Option. If I am correct (Marines correct me if I am wrong), you get selected to be a sniper as an enlisted Marine. I would expend my energies looking for scholarships right now.
I might be missing something, but you said you get selected as an enlisted Marine. Isn't college more of a thing for officers, and thus not necessary?

TunTvrnWarrior
01-18-10, 07:27 PM
The possiblities you can open for yourself as an officer would be better. To get into RECON, you need to be infantry. So, I would suggest going to college and select the infantry field when you become an officer. There are no garuntees that you will be selected for Sniper School. Just because you think you are a good shot now, does not mean you will shoot "Expert" on qual day and have the eye of someone with connections to the Sniper field. Every year a Marine goes through 2 weeks of marksmanship training, including boot camp. It is an intense block of training not like you have ever had before. Just so you know because most people that are not Marines dont know this. We call the M-16A2 a Rifle, not a gun. I wish you well. Please consider college first. I dont always say this to kids thinking about joining the Corps. I think you would do better for yourself to go to college and get selected for NROTC with Marine option.

Lisa 23
01-18-10, 07:31 PM
I believe TunTvrnWarrior said.......selected as a Marine sniper. Also, if you use the search bar, the topic of sniper has been talked about before.

Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions
MOS 0317 - - Scout Sniper

Type of MOS (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/mosdef.htm) : NMOS
Rank (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/blenlrank.htm) Range: GySgt to LCp1
Job Description: The scout sniper is a marine skilled in field craft and marksmanship who delivers long range, precision fire on selected targets from concealed positions in support of combat operations. They have a secondary mission of gathering information for intelligence purposes. They participate in activities designed to deny the enemy freedom of movement by targeting enemy leaders, crew- served weapons operators, radiomen, observers, messengers, and other key personnel with precision fire. Scout snipers engage vital material targets such as command and control equipment, light armored vehicles, air defense radar, and missile launchers that require precision rifle fire to neutralize. Scout snipers also conduct close reconnaissance and surveillance operations for the infantry battalion in support of the intelligence section.
Job Requirements:
(1) Must have a minimum GT Score (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/asvab.htm) of 100 or higher.
(2) Must be currently qualified as an expert rifleman.
(3) Possess all the essential qualifications and capabilities of an infantry Marine.
(4) Must have vision correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. Color blindness is discouraged.
(5) Must have a current First Class PFT.
(6) Have no history of mental illness.
(7) Must be eligible to receive a secret security (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/security.htm) classification.
(8) Successful completion of an approved Scout Sniper Basic Course at Quantico, or at the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Marine Division. Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to NAVMC Directive 3500.87 (http://www.usmc.mil/news/publications/Pages/NAVMC%20DIR%203500.87.aspx), Training and Readiness Manual.

Marine Corps Scout Sniper Training
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marines/a/marinesniper.htm

iamthewalrus
01-18-10, 07:31 PM
Okay, thanks for the advice.

SGT7477
01-18-10, 08:04 PM
I am 17 years old and thinking of joining the Marines after I'm done with high school. However, I'm looking for something a bit past standard infantry (nothing against all of you, I have great respect).

While I realize this sounds a bit pretentious for someone not yet even in the military, I'd like to eventually become a Scout/Sniper with possible special forces type stuff in the future depending on how I do.

I scored above 2000 on my SAT this year, so I'm well off mentally. I also like to think I'm pretty well off physically. From looking at boot camp requirements, I'm sure I could at least get close to first class on PFTs now, and I plan on putting a lot of work into fitness in the next while.

As well as English, I am fluent in Spanish and decent in French. My school also offers an Arabic program if enough people sign up, and I'd like to take it next year.

I don't get a whole lot of practice with guns (.22s mostly) but I'm a pretty good shot.

Are these realistic goals? I realize that many people probably join with high expectations and have their dreams crushed, so I'm hoping I wouldn't be one of them.
No profile.:evilgrin:

tangovictor87
01-18-10, 08:22 PM
I'll chip in...

I think you need to finish school first. You seem like a smart individual and your resources could be devoted into potentially leading Marines. Check out the NROTC program. Scout Sniper school is one of the toughest, most demanding courses in the military. Also, I suggest you brush up on your French. You can take a proficiency test at boot camp and you get a pay bonus for certain languages (I got $150/ month for Laotian.)

Have you met with a recruiter? That should be your first step.

iamthewalrus
01-18-10, 08:38 PM
I'll chip in...

I think you need to finish school first. You seem like a smart individual and your resources could be devoted into potentially leading Marines. Check out the NROTC program. Scout Sniper school is one of the toughest, most demanding courses in the military. Also, I suggest you brush up on your French. You can take a proficiency test at boot camp and you get a pay bonus for certain languages (I got $150/ month for Laotian.)

Have you met with a recruiter? That should be your first step.

I haven't met with a recruiter, or done much at all towards a military career. As I said, I'm still thinking about it, but I'm fairly certain it's what I want to do. I'll look into the NROTC program, thanks.