PDA

View Full Version : Should I go OCS or enlist

jevile219
01-18-10, 10:36 AM
I graduated from college last spring and was planning on going to OCS but run time is pretty slow and it's taking me a lot longer to improve it than I thought. My OSO said the next available OCC if I wanted to go active duty wouldn't be until October, which would give me plenty of time to improve my run time. Only thing is, it's a long time away. Or... I could enlist much sooner and later go to OCS. I talked to an enlistment recruiter who said that I would have to wait about 9 months after boot camp to apply for OCS, unless of course I get deployed in that time, then it would be even later.

So here are my options. I see pros and cons of both and hoping someone who has been here before can give me some advice or perspective. Thanks.

Phantom Blooper
01-18-10, 10:55 AM
No one on this forum can make that decision for you....

YOU have to make the decision for yourself and what you want out of the Marine Corps but,ultimately what YOU want to put into it.

Some will say with a college education go officer....some will say enlisted....what do YOU want to do?

The pay scales are different and the lifestyle is different....with different workloads and social life.....

But when it comes down to it we are ALL Marines..

You have to make the decision for YOURSELF.:evilgrin:

WalkingMan
01-18-10, 11:01 AM
Not enough information. You profile is bare-bones... tells me nothing, and you post tells me that the only things you are focused on, are you run times, and your Active Duty date.

People who become officers would hopefully have a more focused idea, what they wanted to pursue in their career, and hopefully, their major in college would be geared toward their future military career.

In the Marine Corps, enlisted personnel are generally less focused than officers, but do have at least some idea what they are interested in... grunt vs air wing vs heavy equipment mechanic, comms, etc.

I would suggest you get your personal goals and priorities in order first, then you will be able to write a more informed post here, and possibly, you will receive better feedback from the people who reply.

Phantom Blooper
01-18-10, 11:50 AM
Not enough information. You profile is bare-bones... tells me nothing, and you post tells me that the only things you are focused on, are you run times, and your Active Duty date.

People who become officers would hopefully have a more focused idea, what they wanted to pursue in their career, and hopefully, their major in college would be geared toward their future military career.

In the Marine Corps, enlisted personnel are generally less focused than officers, but do have at least some idea what they are interested in... grunt vs air wing vs heavy equipment mechanic, comms, etc.

I would suggest you get your personal goals and priorities in order first, then you will be able to write a more informed post here, and possibly, you will receive better feedback from the people who reply.

ALL sound advice!:evilgrin:

jevile219
01-18-10, 02:59 PM
I know the decision is ultimately a decision of what I want, I'm just trying to see if there are large pros or cons either way that perhaps I haven't considered.

I feel I'm somewhat focused in what I want to get out of all this, but you're probably right; I need to prioritize and figure out what my ultimate goals are.

I mention the run time because that is what has kept me from going to OCS. I mention dates because honestly I'm tired of waiting--and so the decision is really do I want officer later or simply in the Corps sooner...

I want to be an officer, I know that. So maybe spending the next 9 months training and preparing for that isn't a real bad idea, it would give me time to really think about my goals.

Thanks for talking me through it

tactical321
01-18-10, 03:17 PM
i tried to go to OCS but was refused by the higher ranks because my platoon sgt went to jail that month. I was told to never ask them anything about it because they will never get me in. I was a Corporal at that time with over 2.5 years in. Sometimes they can be an a$$ about things. You probably regret it when you been in 4 years enlisted and still have not seen OCS which always have been my goal. I am already out of the Corps doing college now. If you have to train for those 9 months it is best to wait it out.

MLMonk
01-18-10, 04:29 PM
Give a shot at becoming an officer. If you don't make it, oh well, try again next time or just enlist and try some more.

SGT7477
01-18-10, 04:41 PM
I graduated from college last spring and was planning on going to OCS but run time is pretty slow and it's taking me a lot longer to improve it than I thought. My OSO said the next available OCC if I wanted to go active duty wouldn't be until October, which would give me plenty of time to improve my run time. Only thing is, it's a long time away. Or... I could enlist much sooner and later go to OCS. I talked to an enlistment recruiter who said that I would have to wait about 9 months after boot camp to apply for OCS, unless of course I get deployed in that time, then it would be even later.

So here are my options. I see pros and cons of both and hoping someone who has been here before can give me some advice or perspective. Thanks.
I'll give you my 2 cents, go enlisted first and then go to OCS that way you will know both sides of the coin.:flag:

SGT7477
01-18-10, 04:42 PM
BTW your profile sucks.

Quinbo
01-18-10, 04:48 PM
If you look close at the pay charts you can observe that a 2nd Lt. is paid slightly less than his platoon sergeant. That 2nd Lt. has an enormous student loan from college and another big loan for all those pretty uniforms he had to buy. That 2nd Lt. will probably make 1st Lt. but beyond that is a maybe. Those that don't cut the mustard get out and that's the end of the road. Mean while his platoon sergeant is now a gunny and is handing basketballs out at the gym waiting to retire.

You really have to be on the A game all the time if you want to be an officer. If you don't think you have it then put the cross hairs on enlisted for now.