PDA

View Full Version : Should I go OCS or enlist

jevile219
01-18-10, 08:57 AM
I know it seems simple--if I can go OCS I should go OCS. But here's my situation. I recently graduated with my bachelor degree and was planning on going OCS. However I don't meet the physical requirements, mainly my running time is really slow. I've been working on this and only made little improvements. I was also told by my OSO recently that if I want to go OCS active duty I'll have to wait and apply for the October course, which would give me plenty of time to improve my run time, however it's also a long time to wait. Or, I could go enlisted and later go to OCS. I talked to a recruiter who said after boot camp I would have to wait about 9 months before applying for OCS (does anyone know if this is right?) This would be an okay option, though I could get deployed in that time, pushing my chance for OCS back.

So these are my two options; wait 9 months for OCS, or go enlisted sooner and push OCS back. I see pros and cons to both and want to see what other people think, hopefully there are some of you who have been here.

Rocky C
01-18-10, 09:02 AM
We would be Glad to Respond but could you fill out your profile please so we know who we are responding to.

Thank you for your interest in the United States Marine Corps.

TinDragon
01-18-10, 09:11 AM
9 months after is very hard to pull off. The main program for going enlisted-to-officer is MECEP, and even as a squared-away Corporal you're hard pressed to make it, since very few people are selected. If you want to go OCS, go OCS first. Go enlisted if you don't make it through OCS, not as a way to pass the time until OCS.

Personally I'd recommend going officer. The only thing I can see that's bad about going officer right away is enlisted often don't think highly of their officers if they weren't enlisted first. Then again, some officers are squared away and don't need to be enlisted for the respect.

In the end it's your decision, but there's a little bit of info to help you out.

usmc1969 4631
01-18-10, 09:15 AM
Mustang/Warrant Officier the only way to go in my Humble Opinion.
PVT.