PDA

View Full Version : Military Service Records of VIP Soldiers and Marines Now Available Online

Rocky C
01-18-10, 08:08 AM
Military Service Records of VIP Soldiers and Marines Now Available Online.

07:08 AM EST on Monday, January 18, 2010

Ever wonder about the military careers of famous people such as politicians Spiro Agnew, Ronald Reagan or George Wallace? Or maybe NASA astronaut Neil Armstrong, cowboy movie hero Gene Autry or cartoonist Charles Schulz, to name a few?

The National Personnel Records Center has released a list of some 3,000 prominent former military service men and women whose service records may now be obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.

The list includes officers and enlisted men, Medal of Honor recipients, astronauts, test pilots, actors, politicians, artists, executives and government officials who became famous after their military careers. Brief and often inspirational biographical sketches are included.

The so-called military VIP list was obtained under access to public records laws and may be downloaded at

www.governmentattic.org/2docs/NPRC_VIP_List_2009.pdf (http://www.governmentattic.org/2docs/NPRC_VIP_List_2009.pdf).

Copies of military service records for individuals on the list may be requested under the Freedom of Information Act from the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Ave., St. Louis, MO 63152-5100. Requests may also be faxed to (314) 801-9195.
Requests should mention that they’re being made under the Freedom of Information Act. Requests for records of deceased individuals will usually result in more material than those of the living.

Integrity57
01-18-10, 10:51 AM
Is it possible to get a copy of someone's Service Record who wasn't famous, under the Freedom of Information Act? I ask because I've been wondering if I could obtain a copy of my grandfather's Service Record for the last couple of years and no one has been able to give me solid info on this.

Rocky C
01-18-10, 02:57 PM
Is it possible to get a copy of someone's Service Record who wasn't famous, under the Freedom of Information Act? I ask because I've been wondering if I could obtain a copy of my grandfather's Service Record for the last couple of years and no one has been able to give me solid info on this.

Yes you can Anthony.
You will need;

Full Name. ( including any initials ).
Branch of Service.
Service Dates.( must be exact ).
SSN#

Good Luck, It might take awhile.
Rocky

Integrity57
01-18-10, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info Rocky.

Rocky C
01-18-10, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the info Rocky.

:thumbup: Glad to help!!!

Zulu 36
01-18-10, 08:03 PM
Although they are listed, you know John Kerry's full and complete record won't be available. Neither will John F. Kennedy's.

Integrity57
01-18-10, 08:04 PM
Why not Kennedy's Zulu?

Zulu 36
01-18-10, 08:11 PM
Why not Kennedy's Zulu?

JFK has a few military skeletons in his closet related to PT-109. Let's just say Daddy kept him out of a court-martial over that little incident.

Integrity57
01-18-10, 08:13 PM
lol No kidding? That's pretty interesting.

Zulu 36
01-18-10, 09:27 PM
My father told me a few things that were rattling around the Naval establishment during WWII and as I went through the Corps and entered study of military history, some interesting things came up and...

Integrity57
01-19-10, 12:00 AM
Wow that's crazy, I'd never heard much about JFK's time in the Navy and that's definetly some interesting info there Zulu.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-19-10, 12:47 AM
The NARA site, here: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

Will help you in getting records. If you are getting them for research/historical or family purposes, ensure that you include in the 'remarks' block, "Request all available records under the Freedom of Information Act".

Captain Kirk
01-19-10, 06:02 AM
I want to look up our Current CnC's military record.

OOPS! That is right! He has no Military experiance!:bunny: