PDA

View Full Version : Wavier for Permanent Disqualifier?

Jonathan Goss
01-18-10, 03:08 AM
So I spent months doing PT and reading up on the Corps, got my 3 mile run time down to 25 minutes, go into the recruiter's office, and get snagged up on a surgery I had when I was 2/3 years old (two individual operations spread out over months). The gunny says he'll call MEPS and get back to me. Next day I get the call (after next to no sleep; nervousness): my surgery, a Duhamel Pullthrough for "Hirschsprung's Disease" (also called a "colon resection"), is a permanent DQ. It was a surgery on my large intestines when I was a kid. I had to have a colostomy bag for a while afterward, then they took it out and sewed me up (hence the two operations). Kinda gross, I know, but full disclosure is important.

I explain that it was done when I was little and that there are practically no side effects. I have a couple scars from the two operations, but I can run, I can do the pull ups, sit ups, push ups; I've done two kinds of martial arts, why would this make a difference? They say they don't know, can't help me, nada. I ask them what I can do to acquire a waiver. They say nothing. That's it. Cue a growled string of curses after the phone is hung up.

Then a friend reminds me of the "write your congressman" route. I know people who can help me with this; a letter of recommendation COULD be acquired. My questions are: is this a waste of time? Why would a recruiter pay any heed to a congressman's letter of approval? Will the recruiters try to screw me over out of resentment if I call them back and tell them I have a letter of recommendation and (possibly) a "pass" from my doctor? I do not mean any disrespect to the recruiters when I say that, but I know how busy they are and I know how the military is trying to downsize nowadays.

I've already watched a couple dreams of mine go up in smoke. I'll be *******ed if I'm going to watch this one go too without a helluva fight. Being a US Marine is the only thing that would make me proud anymore.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
J

Komenko
01-18-10, 03:15 AM
Try your congressman! the recruiters are only looking out for their careers! if they withhold that kind of info and something should happen to you in Boot Camp it will be their job that they lose! the Docs at MEPS told him that it was a DQ! But the recruiters will listen to a congressman and the Docs at MEPS will have to look at your case! Go with the congressman. the worse thing he could say is "No"!

Edit: Also the recruiters won't get mad cause they are looking at their numbers each month as poolees get shipped off! they are always looking for somebody else to fill that gap in for the poolee that was shipped today!

Jonathan Goss
01-18-10, 03:23 AM
Awesome, Komenko, thank you for the encouragement and insight! At this point I will do damn near any MOS (though I prefer something in the 03 dept...then again, who doesn't?).

Komenko
01-18-10, 03:28 AM
Good Luck! it may take some time with the congressman but they always return with a letter or a phone call!

Jonathan Goss
01-18-10, 03:49 AM
You know it sucked that day in the recruiter's office too because they were about to PT as soon as I left and, despite the decisive and likely negative outcome of my situation, I really liked those guys. I left wishing I was able to join them (though I probably would've regretted it!). I have always been impressed by the recruiters' attitudes and their willingness to answer questions. I know it's their job and all but that MOS has to be stressful. Much respect to them!

So assuming I get the endorsement from my congressman, do I just call them back and say, "Hey, Staff Sergeant _______, I have a letter of recommendation from Congressman ________. When can we meet?"

Komenko
01-18-10, 04:07 AM
pretty much. he'll most likely be thinking its a waste of time but don't let that discourage you. he has his numbers for that month and the month after cause from what i've been hearing most recruiters have a year waiting list! bring it to his attention and let him know. he may take you to MEPS and the docs there will hopefully look at you.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-18-10, 11:51 PM
Here's the deal. Writing your congresscritter will likely get you no satisfactory response. Hate to break it to you but that's just the way it is.

Even if you got some sort of letter from a congressman (and a letter of rec will be...worthless), it's MEPS and the DoD rules that govern recruiters, not what some congressman says.

Some things are waiverable, this isn't one of them. It's a crappy deck of cards, but that's just the way it's dealt. You could have Speaker Pelosi as your congressman, and it still wouldn't do any good.

Sorry to break the bad news, but you are permanantly disqualified from enlisting based on the information provided.

Jonathan Goss
01-18-10, 11:59 PM
It DOES strike me as odd that a letter of recommendation from a congressman could make a difference, but I've read that multiple times and heard/seen it from others. What about in conjunction with an endorsement letter from my doctor? I know MEPS has their own evaluations (obviously) but this is something that was done almost 25 years ago and the only way people know is a pair of scars on my abdomen.

As weird as a recommendation from some politician can help in a waiver case, it seems just as weird that something like this--again, from over 2 decades ago with no residual side effects--would be cause for a DQ in the first place.

Either way, thank you, Sgt. Leprechaun for the reply/info.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-19-10, 12:12 AM
DoD is more concerned not about what sort of shape you are in at the present (as a civilian) but the shape you'll be in, for example, humping the mountains of Afganistan with a 150 pound ruck and no...

Jonathan Goss
01-19-10, 12:24 AM
Yes, that thought has occurred to me. The lack of water and ingredients of rations I could see leading to (and this may be a bit gross, so please forgive me it's off-putting) constipation in the field, but I know in my case (the PT I've done and the martial arts I've been into off and on for years) have proven to be a good...physical motivator in that department. I have often mulled over the concern that conditions might exacerbate any issues (though Tabasco seems to do the trick nicely too...good thing I love that stuff). But it was never enough to warrant me saying "I couldn't hack it".

However, the implications are there that something could go wrong or somehow it could affect performance, but it hasn't in my years of physical activity and sometimes erratic diet. I DIDN'T think about how a letter from a congressman only really applied to criminal record waivers though. Thank you very much for that insight.

The worst is when friends who either knew Marines or were married to them or whatever tell me to just "make something up about your scars!" as if the MEPS people or someone won't be able to find out. It's like, dude, if I could find my medical records on my surgery, I'm pretty sure the MILITARY could (and would). And I'll be damned if I'm going to get through Parris Island and whatever MOS school to which I'm assigned only to have someone show up with a security detail to arrest me for falsifying my records and throw me in the brig or kick me out, you know?

Sgt Leprechaun
01-19-10, 12:33 AM
Exactly. And, they'll find out, believe me.

You can still serve, just look for another capacity in which to do it. Law Enforcement, Firefighting, EMT, Emergency Management, Communications, are just a few of the 'civilian' occupations you could look into. All honorable professions that can be just as demanding (and in some cases, moreso) and just as satisfying. The Homeland needs good people, too.

Don't lose your focus, just concentrate it in another direction.

Komenko
01-19-10, 12:42 AM
this is far from the fact but you can always become a Civilian Marine lol. I am currently one since i'm working on Pendleton. wonder if that makes me a Double Marine lol. But anyways there is always work to be done on base. took me a year to get hired on after I EAS'd but they ended the contracts with private contractors and will be hiring like crazy on Pendleton. check it out if your interested: https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/index.asp

Jonathan Goss
01-19-10, 12:48 AM
Thank you again, Leprechaun. One more question: does this mean no waiver for the Marine Corps or no waiver for the military at all? As much as it kinda churns my gut to think of it, in my more desperate moments I sometimes think about going to the Army as a substitute. No disrespect to the Army, but doing that has always felt like a compromise, but it'd be better to do that than be a lame ass private security guard for the rest of my life.

Sgt. Komenko: Is this an MOS through the Marine Corps or do you mean being a civilian working at Pendleton? I've read how many civilians are employed at military bases (barbers and such).

Sgt Leprechaun
01-19-10, 12:49 AM
Good link. Civilian Marine Police are ALSO an option. Of course, you have to live near a Marine Base, but it's worth a shot for sure.

No military at all as far as I'm aware. Altho the army is 'slack' in some things, medical stuff is different and that's pretty much 'service wide'.

Komenko
01-19-10, 12:52 AM
Thank you again, Leprechaun. One more question: does this mean no waiver for the Marine Corps or no waiver for the military at all? As much as it kinda churns my gut to think of it, in my more desperate moments I sometimes think about going to the Army as a substitute. No disrespect to the Army, but doing that has always felt like a compromise, but it'd be better to do that than be a lame ass private security guard for the rest of my life.

Sgt. Komenko: Is this an MOS through the Marine Corps or do you mean being a civilian working at Pendleton? I've read how many civilians are employed at military bases (barbers and such).

Its the Navy's HR website for civilian workers. its the only way they hire anyone theses days. But if your still wanting to join the military try all the branches, even the Coast Guard!

Komenko
01-19-10, 12:54 AM
Good link. Civilian Marine Police are ALSO an option. Of course, you have to live near a Marine Base, but it's worth a shot for sure.

No military at all as far as I'm aware. Altho the army is 'slack' in some things, medical stuff is different and that's pretty much 'service wide'.

About the Civilian Police on base, they are not rent-a-cops! they go through the same training and get the same certs as the city and county law enforcement agentcies!

Jonathan Goss
01-19-10, 01:02 AM
That would be interesting, though not being a Marine tasked with "policing" Marines on their own base is probably one helluva tough job. I bet they get tons of **** from devil dogs for not being a part of the pack!

Komenko
01-19-10, 01:07 AM
That would be interesting, though not being a Marine tasked with "policing" Marines on their own base is probably one helluva tough job. I bet they get tons of **** from devil dogs for not being a part of the pack!

some are former Marines. its a skate job cause you only deal with Marines. not like the people who commit serious crimes off base.