PDA

View Full Version : Possibility to change MOS field after acquiring US citizenship

alexeibas
01-18-10, 01:53 AM
Hi Marines,

I'm currently in the DEP, scheduled to ship to boot Feb. 8th, 2010. Currently I'm a US Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder & Ecuadorian citizen) and set for the G2-Ground Option/Infantry MOS field. Following my enlistment I took the DLAB and scored a 126 on it. My question was if, as currently due to citizenship restrictions I'm not allowed anywhere near a linguistics/intelligence MOS, following what I'm told will be a quick process to receive citizenship (I'm thinking about a year following my ship date, but maybe longer), I will be able to switch MOS fields into something like linguistics or intelligence? I'm quite unclear as to how life in the fleet will actually be like and what my opportunities will be in terms of moving around considering the options that open up once I gain citizenship, so thats why I'm asking for your advice/help.

Thanks in advance,

Alexei

TinDragon
01-18-10, 06:14 AM
Well, I can tell you that if it was possible to change MOSs that fast, you probably still wouldn't be able to get your clearance that fast. Even if you changed your citizenship, (I would assume) you'd still have relatives that're from another country, and believe me, that still makes it pretty hard to get a clearance. Possible of course, but a very lengthy process.

If I remember right, you usually can't "lat move" (change MOS) unless you reenlist anyway. If you did want to re-enlist, the time in between when you think you can get your citizenship and the time to re-enlist should be enough time to work on getting to at least an "eligible" status for a clearance.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-18-10, 11:53 PM
Lat moving isn't the issue, obtaining your Top Secret Clearance will be. I'd rate this one as extremely unlikely for an MOS change into Intelligence. Linguist is 'possible', but the Marine Corps is full of spanish speakers and they aren't much in demand.

fespar
01-21-10, 03:33 PM
As a result of my test scores as a recruit at MCRD,San Diego in 1981,I along with some 6-7 other recruits from my Series were selected for additional tests and background checks to see if we'd qualified for Top Security Clearance.I informed the MasterSergeant that I was not born in the U.S.This fact made me ineligble for Top Security Clearance.Becoming a citizen does not better one's chances.

haebyungdae
01-22-10, 02:21 AM
You would be unable to enlist into or lateral move into any 2600 MOS or any other MOS that requires a Top Secret clearance. Sorry.

It is possible to receive pay for foreign language knowledge (under certain circumstances depending on the language and its impact on your unit's mission) or to be utilized as a translator/interpretor. This, of course though, is all based on the language that you know. Additionally, the Marine Corps would most likely not send you to a language school if you were not going to be utilized in the 0200 or 2600 occupational fields.

-The background check required for such a clearance is extensive, but most people can attend MOS schools and work in a limited capacity with a interim clearance which doesn't take that long to obtain.

-Linguistics in the Marine Corps is not a translator/interpretor MOS. There is a separate B-billet MOS for that. Linguistics refers to a group of MOS' within the 2600 field that are intelligence jobs, cryptologic linguist.