PDA

View Full Version : In Need of Help from Marines who care for future Marines

brosa114
01-17-10, 10:03 PM
If any Marines can take some time to explain to me why three different recruiters are telling me 3 different stories on how my tattoo and my police record are holding me back from joining the Marine Corps; and that i can only go reserves if im able to get in? that would be greatly appreciated. of coarse i know that you might not be able to answer these all the way, because the docs arent in your possesion. But i just would like to know whats going on, because my recruiters obviously arent being truthful with me. i started talking with the Marines in March of 2009! and here i am, 3 recruiters later. i moved to Oceanside thinking i would have a better chance of getting in. i just dont know where to turn, my present recruiter just told me last friday to check out the ARMY, which just shattered all my respect for my 3rd recruiter. i dont want to quit trying to get in. its been almost a year though, i can only wait for so long, i put my whole life on hold for the Coprs, my job, my school, everything. if any Marines have some advice or even a reruiter to help me out, you dont know how much it would mean to me, thank you.

Thank You for reading also, i know its a bit long.

Brett Rosa

Vandrel
01-17-10, 10:10 PM
Try starting with posting the details, not really possible to give advise without that.

brosa114
01-17-10, 10:23 PM
My tattoo is 3 inches below my left bicep, all the way around. my police record: i know if i was charged with the actions they stand no matter what the judge concludes, but i was CHARGED with two...

Vandrel
01-17-10, 10:29 PM
The tattoo isn't much of a issue, could be waived but with the pub that was just released regarding tattoos it's questionable.

The felonies are a different story, regardless if it was when you were a minor.

You will need very strong character references and a damn good story about what happened. IF you get in, you will more then likely not be able to get a job doing anything that requires a clearance.

Here is a little info for you

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blcriminal7.htm

brosa114
01-17-10, 10:38 PM
My interest is 0311, im pretty sure they require security clearences, but otherwise, i just dont understand why they dont take in consideration that my court minutes say that the two counts were dismissed due to lack of evidence, i would think that means to them, that i flat out didnt do it, but i guess not. Thank you for your time sergeant.

Vandrel
01-17-10, 10:42 PM
Being charged and being convicted are two seperate things, that's what needs to be clearly stated. If you went to 3 recruiters then try going to a 4th, if that fails then go to another until they all...

brosa114
01-17-10, 10:52 PM
Will do, much appreciated sgt. take care.

Vandrel
01-17-10, 11:02 PM
No problem

brian0351
01-18-10, 07:10 AM
And don't knock the recruiter for telling you to go Army. The Army has more experience dealing with those who have criminal convictions because their rules are a little more lax than the Marines.

You may not be able to become a Marine but you still have an option to serve your country.

Wyoming
01-18-10, 07:27 AM
19yo and 'two felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon, and one felony count of concentrated marijuana posession' if I count correctly. I think there may be 2 more in there somewhere. All of that and a big tattoo.

... and you say you have put your life on hold for the 'Coprs'. Well how special.

I suppose you think that the wheels of 235 years are going to come to a screeching halt for you. Not!!

Jeez, are you at least a HS graduate?

Methinks you should memorize these words, 'Would you like fries with that order?'.

Lisa 23
01-18-10, 08:44 AM
In case you didn't click on the link Vandrel provided for you to read, here it is..........

United States Navy and Marine Corps
Criminal History Disqualifications
Felony Offenses

Regardless of state or local law, for enlistment purposes, the following offenses fall into the Category of Felony Offenses:

Aggravated assault; with dangerous weapon; assault intentionally inflicting great bodily harm; assault with intent to commit felony.

Assault and battery on law enforcement officer or child under 16 years of age.

Arson.

Attempt to commit felony.

Breaking and entering (all types).

Bribery.

Bigamy.

Burglary.

Carnal knowledge of child under 16.

Check, worthless, making or uttering, with intent to defraud or deceive ($501 or more)

Conspiring to commit felony.

Criminal libel.

Draft evasion.

Extortion.

Forgery; knowingly uttering or passing forged instrument (except for altered identification for purchase of alcoholic beverages).

Grand larceny; embezzlement (value $501 or more).

Housebreaking.

Illegal drugs (See special rules for drug offenses).

Impersonating a police officer, civil official, military officer.

Indecent acts or liberties with child under 16, molestation.

Indecent assault.

Kidnapping, abduction.

Leaving scene of accident (hit and run) involving personal injury and/or property damage is over $500.

Mail matter: abstracting, destroying, obstructing, opening, secreting, stealing, or taking.

Mail, depositing obscene or indecent matter.

Maiming; disfiguring.

Manslaughter.

Murder.

Obstructing justice.

Pandering.

Perjury.

Public record; altering, concealing, destroying, mutilating, obliterating, or removing.

Rape.

Riot

Robbery

Sedition; soliciting to commit sedition.

Sodomy.

Stolen property, knowingly receiving (value over $500).

Theft, shoplifting (value over $500).

NOTE: Consider offenses of comparable seriousness as a felony. In doubtful cases, apply the following rule:

If maximum confinement under state or local law exceeds 1-year, treat the offense as a felony.
A "felony" will be defined as a conviction or adverse adjudication by civil authorities (foreign or domestic), or action taken which is tantamount to a finding of guilty of an offense for which the maximum penalty is death or confinement under state or local law exceeding one year, regardless of state or local laws.

An offense will be classified a "felony" without regard to the offender's age when the offense was committed, or whether the offense was disposed of by juvenile or adult criminal proceedings. An offense classified as a felony above, will be classified as a felony for enlistment, regardless of state or local law.

In rare instances an offense may be classified as a single incident felony if more than one felony results from a single incident. Generally, if the multiple incidents are not separated by space and time, they may be considered as a single incident for waiver purposes. In order to be considered, the multiple felonies must be related and must derive from a single incident. For example, a housebreaker who steals a stereo might be considered a single incident felony for 1) felony burglary and 2) felony theft.

A single felony requires a waiver. More than one felonies are disqualifying, and no waiver is authorized.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blcriminal7.htm

Lisa 23
01-18-10, 08:57 AM
Criminal History Waivers <br />
Some offenses can be waived, and others cannot. Different offenses require waiver approval at different levels in the recruiting chain-of-command. <br />
It's important to note...

Lisa 23
01-18-10, 09:11 AM
Tattoo (Body Art) Policy

Mar 24 2007

The Marine Corps is getting more strict about tatoos according to Marine administrative message 198/07 (http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradmin2000.nsf/37f49138fc3d9c00852569b9000af6b7/ec7256307ac62075852572a3007c12fc?OpenDocument).

“This clarification came about because there was room for interpretation of the old policy,” said Lt. Col. T.V. Johnson, spokesman for the commandant of the Marine Corps. “The commandant had this issue come up at every town hall meeting that he attended and wanted to make the policy fair across the board, squashing any margin for error.”

The message details new guidelines for Marines with tattoos, specifically, restricting them from getting sleeve tattoos while protecting those who already have them.

Effective April 1, Marines are prohibited from getting sleeve tattoos. Those individuals who have sleeve tattoos are required to be documented by their command by July 1.

A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person’s entire arm or leg. Half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing a standard physical training T-shirt and shorts are likewise prohibited.
Marines who currently have sleeve tattoos need to have them photographed by their command and have them documented in their service record books to be grandfathered into this policy.

Current Tattoo Policy
The Marine Corps takes a conservative approach to personal appearance. Uniform regulations stress that personal appearance is to be conservative and commensurate with the high standards traditionally associated with the Marine Corps. No eccentricities in dress or appearance are permitted because they detract from uniformity and team identity.

Marines are prohibited from:

a. Tattoos or brands on the head and neck.

b. Sleeve Tatoos. A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or a collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person's entire arm or leg.

c. Half-sleeve or quarter sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing standard PT Gear (T-shirt and shorts). A half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoo is defined as a very large tattoo or collection of smaller tattoos that covers, or almost covers the entire portion of an army or leg above or below the elbow or knee.

d. Tattoos or brands that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale, or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps. These may include, but are not limited to, any tattoo that is sexist, racist, vulgar, anti-american, anti-social, gang related, or extremest group or organization related.
Marines who currently have a sleeve tattoo(s) prior to 1 April 2007, will be grandfathered. The Marine's command will insert a photograph(s) of the respective (tattoo(s) along with a measurement(s) of the size in inches and of the location(s) on the body and the date the tattoo(s) was documented, on the Page 11 of the Marine's SRB. The Marine will sign the Page 11 entry verifying the information is correct.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/tattoo.htm

brosa114
01-18-10, 11:56 AM
duely noted, thank you marines.

Lisa 23
01-18-10, 01:41 PM
duely noted, thank you marines.

[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members

Rule Three when using the words Marine or Corps on this site they will be capitalized at all times!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15

brosa114
01-18-10, 07:57 PM
Thank You, Will do WMarine. and thank you to all Marines that replied

erased
01-20-10, 02:57 PM
When I enlisted, I had a felony burglary conviction as a minor. I had plead guilty to make it easier on my parents. Details of the case aside, I ended up doing community service, attending a "victims awareness" class, and paying a fine.

In order to join, I had to get character references (I used a couple teachers and my employer at the time). I also had to convince a Colonel from the 12th District (via speaker phone, with a lot of other senior Marines listening in) that I deserved to try to become a Marine. I ended up coming in open contract (which means the Corps puts me in whatever MOS they want). Well worth the effort.

Your legal issues, combined with the tattoos, may cause more trouble than that, though.

brosa114
01-20-10, 03:05 PM
Sounds like a plan, but all i want to do is 0311, wont be pleased to do anything else, i know now is not the time to be picky, but my father said open contracts is not what i want to be in at all. but we will see what happens, thank you for the info "erased"

Vandrel
01-20-10, 03:34 PM
To be quite honest, you may want to be a Grunt but when/if you actually get there you may quickly find yourself wishing you chose a different route. I was super hardcore all about being 0311 when I was coming in, ironicly once I got through track school and got to the fleet it took only 1 field op for me to see Grunts get tossed around in the back of my track, puke in their kevlars, and then go sleep in the dirt for me to realize that I was thankful to not be a Grunt.

brosa114
01-20-10, 05:28 PM
I bet, but i am not a person who finds pleasure and comfort sitting on the side watching his fellow peers fighting and dieing for a cause greater than their own. plus i feel the need to know EXACTLY what is going on the frontlines, not hear it from the mainstream media, and other Marines/Soldiers, because everyone has their point of views. I need solid closure, i feel i can only achieve that, if i experience it myself. i am only speaking for myself, i am NOT saying Marines in different Mos's sit on the sides because they are scared or any other reason either,that is not the point in my messege.

Brau0318
01-20-10, 06:09 PM
Like the Sergeant said, a grunt is a very difficult MOS. It requires that you be in top physical condition. The mental wear and tear is tuff. All I'm saying is, make sure that you really want to be there. Keep trying and good luck.

brosa114
01-20-10, 06:48 PM
will do, thank you.

jrhd97
01-20-10, 10:33 PM
Nothing wrong with open contract. Myself and many, many others took that route. For me it led to being a grunt.
Good luck

0331 2 0369
01-21-10, 07:15 AM
brosa...... What was your weapon of choice when these acts occurred and how long ago was your conviction?

fasteropr
01-21-10, 10:57 AM
brosa: I recognize I'm an old dinosaur now and the Corps has changed alot. I also was on a waiver when I enlisted at 17 for car theft. Fortunately my PO cancelled my probation or they never would have accepted me. I was also a high school drop out.
Now here's a suggestion for whatever it's worth: as far as CHARACTER is concerned, one thing I'm sure that hasn't changed in the Corps is NEVER GIVING UP! Consequently DOCUMENT EVERYTHING you're doing in attempting to get in.
As far as what YOU WANT to do once you're accepted, if you are- forget it! I simply wanted to be a Grunt also and look what happened. Didn't matter because the majority of my time in the field, including in Nam, I was with the Grunts. And regardless of what you may of heard they are the BACKBONE of the Marine Corps! Hope this helps-good luck to you. :iwo: SF Airborne!

slimmy07
01-21-10, 12:28 PM
Very true, some of these can be waived. For this kid though, he has had multiple charges regardless if you were convicted or not your still getting charged with criminal actions, and he has a BIG...

brosa114
01-21-10, 12:41 PM
I am 19 at this moment, i commited the crime when i was 16. the weapon of my choice was a golf club.

Thank you for your encouragement and advice "Fasteropr"

fasteropr
01-21-10, 01:13 PM
You're entirely welcome young man. You're doing the honorable thing by admitting and taking responsibility for your actions. Ain't noone can ever take that from you. It's part of what I call...

0331 2 0369
01-21-10, 01:52 PM
I am 19 at this moment, i commited the crime when i was 16. the weapon of my choice was a golf club.

Thank you for your encouragement and advice "Fasteropr"

Are you still on probation? As mentioned, there are people wanting to join that doesn't have the added drama. If you are off probation, keep trying. Also as mentioned already though, the Army may be your best bet for now and then cross over to the Marines after a successfull enlistment.

brosa114
01-21-10, 02:02 PM
yes i was only on probation for a year. I talked with an Army recruiter yesterday and they said all i need are character references and im good to go, but i still want to wait for the Marines to say yes or no. My Marine recruiter said he should have an answer by tomorrow from his station commander(i could be wronge on who exactly needs to review it) but as i recall he said something about his station supervisors. so im crossing my fingers that they will say yes. All in all thank you Marines for all your advice, encouragement and support.

brosa114
01-22-10, 05:01 PM
i just got the bad news, the Marines said their station Commander said no to my paper work. Too bummed to describe it. So i went to the Army, was in there for a few hours. their Station Commander approved my paper work within an hour, which i was happy about, but at the same time was puzzled why the Marines took so long. but all in all, The Marines said after my Army enlistment i would have a better chance of getting in the Corps after. The Army, i plan on doing a 3 year or 4 year enlistment in 11X and if i pass i will transfer to 11B Infantryman. but i forgot to ask the Marines if im able to transfer after my 3 or 4 year Active service, or would i have to wait the full 8 years to transfer after i complete my reserve duty. i dont want to ask the Army before i swear in, just incase they fool around with my contract. dont know why, i just have a feeling they wont be too happy if i ask that before i go in. i would like to know from Marines if they have any info about transfering, i dont just want the recruiters info, not that i dont trust them, i just would feel more comfortable hearing it from more Marines, thank you.

fasteropr
01-22-10, 05:27 PM
i just got the bad news, the Marines said their station Commander said no to my paper work. Too bummed to describe it. So i went to the Army, was in there for a few hours. their Station Commander approved my paper work within an hour, which i was happy about, but at the same time was puzzled why the Marines took so long. but all in all, The Marines said after my Army enlistment i would have a better chance of getting in the Corps after. The Army, i plan on doing a 3 year or 4 year enlistment in 11X and if i pass i will transfer to 11B Infantryman. but i forgot to ask the Marines if im able to transfer after my 3 or 4 year Active service, or would i have to wait the full 8 years to transfer after i complete my reserve duty. i dont want to ask the Army before i swear in, just incase they fool around with my contract. dont know why, i just have a feeling they wont be too happy if i ask that before i go in. i would like to know from Marines if they have any info about transfering, i dont just want the recruiters info, not that i dont trust them, i just would feel more comfortable hearing it from more Marines, thank you.
OK-Now you know-the stage is set. When you're in the Army apply yourself and show your stuff. If you make Sgt or above with honorable service after 3/4 years the Marines would accept you in a heart beat. Those eight years apply to ANY branch. You're not obligated to the Army unless you remain in the reserves. And yes I would hardly bring up any questions like that, about the Marines, from someone in the Army. Don't think that the USMC is the only branch "in town"!! I've served with Army units; 173rd Airborne Brigade, Special Forces and the Rangers. These are CRACK UNITS!!! They definately knew their chit!! So forget the Corps for now. You can ALWAYS revisit this in the future. Meanwhile good luck in the US Army.:thumbup::D SF Airborne

brosa114
01-22-10, 05:37 PM
Sounds good, thank you very much.

teuffelhunden
01-24-10, 11:10 AM
What I am having trouble understanding is you said that Two of the felonies were dimissed due to lack of evidence and the other was reduced to a misdemeanor. If that is the case then you do not have a felony record because you were never convicted of a felony. All you were convicted of is a misdemeanor and should be relatively simple to get a waiver for that. Something is not adding up here. There has to be more than this and a tattoo.:flag:

teuffelhunden
01-24-10, 11:19 AM
:evilgrin:I agree with the other Marines here go to the Army and get you RE-1a reenlistment code along with your Honorable Discharge and prove yourself to the Corps and you should have no problems...

brosa114
01-24-10, 05:50 PM
I can assure you there is nothing else i am holding back. All the Recruiters i have talked to, say the Marines do not care what i was Convicted of, they only care what i was Charged with. that is all...

GyC
01-25-10, 09:59 PM
The Marine Corps goes by the &quot;whole person&quot; concept when we consider a waiver. As with any organization, when business is good, the window of that concept closes a bit... Consider the Recruiting...