PDA

View Full Version : Peforated Eardrum?

Phoenix27
01-17-10, 01:25 PM
Hello.

I'm interested in joining the Marine Corps. and I've had a perforated eardrum for about 8 years. I read that this counts as a disqualifying factor but is it possible that I could receive a waver for it?

Being in the Military is something that's very important to me, especially being a United States Marine.

Thank you for all replies.

commdog7
01-17-10, 01:49 PM
You would have to get checked out by the MEPS docs; none of us can tell you if you would be disqualified or not. I was assume it depends on the extent of the damage.

Phoenix27
01-17-10, 03:10 PM
You would have to get checked out by the MEPS docs; none of us can tell you if you would be disqualified or not. I was assume it depends on the extent of the damage.

Ah alright.

It only gives me slight hearing loss in my right ear, but I can hear all lows and highs and stuff.

Guess I'll just need to wait and see. :(

Zulu 36
01-17-10, 08:16 PM
Where is WMarine? She usually has the perfect link handy for the answer to these things.

Just remember about hearing problems: The Marine Corps prefers to destroy your hearing itself, not have you come in already half-deaf. :sick:

Lisa 23
01-17-10, 08:48 PM
Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment
Ears and Hearing

Jun 10 2009
The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm)) are an authenticated history of:

External ear.

Current atresia (744.02) or severe microtia (744.23), congenital or acquired stenosis (380.5), chronic otitis externa (380.2), or severe external ear deformity (744.3) that prevents or interferes with the proper wearing of hearing protection is disqualifying.
Mastoids.

Current or history of mastoiditis (383.9), residual with fistula (383.81), chronic drainage or conditions requiring frequent cleaning of the mastoid bone are disqualifying.
Marked external deformity that prevents or interferes with wearing a protective mask or helmet (383.3) is disqualifying.
Ménière’s syndrome. Current or history of Ménière’s syndrome or other chronic diseases of the vestibular system (386) is disqualifying.
Middle and inner ear.

Current or history of chronic otitis media (382), cholesteatoma (385.3), or history of any inner (P20) or middle (P19) ear surgery (including cochlear implantation) is disqualifying.
Myringotomy or successful tympanoplasty is not disqualifying.
Tympanic membrane.

Current perforation of the tympanic membrane (384.2) or history of surgery to correct perforation during the preceding 120 days (P19) is disqualifying.
Hearing

Current hearing threshold level in either ear greater than that described below is disqualifying:

(1) Pure tone at 500, 1000, and 2000 cycles per second for each ear of not more than 30 decibels (dB) on the average, with no individual level greater than 35 dB at those frequencies.
(2) Pure tone level not more than 45 dB at 3000 cycles per second or 55 dB at 4000 cycles per second for each ear.
(3) There is no standard for 6000 cycles per second.
Current or history of hearing aid use (V53.2) is disqualifying.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/ears.htm

Sgt Leprechaun
01-18-10, 11:46 PM
Basically, according to this, you are DQ'd. It *may* be waiverable but it doesn't appear so from my reading on this one.