PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about joining!

bravo1156
01-16-10, 09:55 PM
I've been having a hard time finding any steady work since I left the Air Force and practically don't enjoy civilian life to begin with. I come from a long line of Marines and would love nothing more than to continue the trend. But before I do I want to make sure that this is what I really want, otherwise I'll just go join the Army until things pick up lol. Basically my question is what is fleet life like for a new marine? I'm not worried about treatment, but more or less living arrangements, what to typically expect on a Marine base, things of that nature. I think you in advance for any answers.

NCOPOWER
01-16-10, 10:05 PM
It all depends on what base. If you are married with kids and things of that nature. So with out some more information there is not a whole lot we can tell you.

bravo1156
01-16-10, 10:31 PM
I'm not married and have no kids. The things I am worried about are do single low ranking Marines typically share rooms? How does the ranking system work? In the Air Force most of it is based on time served and how well you do on a test. I really just want to get away from the college feeling.

NCOPOWER
01-16-10, 10:40 PM
If you are single you will most likely stay with room mates. Its not that bad been there done that. Now as far as rank. E-1 through E-3 are time in garade time in service. But going to E-4 Cpl will depend on your comp score and what the MOSs cutting score is.

bravo1156
01-16-10, 10:48 PM
Thank you for the quick responses. The rank procedure was the only thing I was really worried about. I guess it's time to stop putting things off and take my DD214 to a recruiter to get a date.

NCOPOWER
01-16-10, 10:53 PM
Good luck.

SGT7477
01-17-10, 08:24 AM
I've been having a hard time finding any steady work since I left the Air Force and practically don't enjoy civilian life to begin with. I come from a long line of Marines and would love nothing more than to continue the trend. But before I do I want to make sure that this is what I really want, otherwise I'll just go join the Army until things pick up lol. Basically my question is what is fleet life like for a new marine? I'm not worried about treatment, but more or less living arrangements, what to typically expect on a Marine base, things of that nature. I think you in advance for any answers.
Just step on the yellow footprints and the rest is history.:evilgrin: