PDA

View Full Version : 6x2 Contracts and Reserves

alphaelite7
01-16-10, 05:03 PM
I am a senior in highschool and am leaning heavily towards joining the Marines something I have wanted to do since I was young. There are some issues however that I wish to iron out before I sign on the dotted line. I have been talking to my recruiter and am looking at a 6x2 contract as a reservist only. I do however want to complete college uninterrupted. The recruiter has been telling me that the units in my area are deployable as I figured(West Coast). But he said that the only way I could be deployed was if I actually volunteered for active or a national emergency just so happened to occur

Essentially I need to know if the above is true and being deployed is a remote possibility. Otherwise, I would just wait until I am out of college. I am not not afraid of deployment. Merely an untimely one. College is not something I want to linger in.

As for what I am doing, I want to be an armorer(2111) and a gunsmith in the civilian world.

Sorry if my question was already answered. I ran a search both here and google. Nothing really came up.

MLMonk
01-16-10, 05:44 PM
The only real way to get out of a deployment in the reserves is if you are in the PLC program, which is for being an officer.

polizei
01-16-10, 06:44 PM
If they send you, you're going...so don't think it's not going to happen. I would also look hard into the 6x2. You'll get the partial GI Bill from it.

MLMonk
01-16-10, 07:38 PM
If they send you, you're going...so don't think it's not going to happen. I would also look hard into the 6x2. You'll get the partial GI Bill from it.

Also depending on how much active time you do. I got a letter from the VA saying they will pay 100% of my college, but I only qualify for 60-70% from the GI bill.

alphaelite7
01-16-10, 09:11 PM

Thanks all who replied so far. I am well aware that if they me I go. No problem with that. Just not a desirable outcome. Its just that I have a recruiter here telling me that in order for me to be deployed with the units that are hanging around the west I would have to volunteer. Just curious if anyone has heard of this.

polizei
01-17-10, 08:30 AM
I highly doubt that, but it's a possibility. I have a buddy who is with the MCAS Miramar MP unit, and they aren't deploying anytime soon according to him. My unit just got back from Iraq literally a few days ago, so I doubt we'll be going anywhere soon.

It honestly just depends on the unit and the rotation. Though good old obama-boy said he's sending 30k more Marines to Afghan. So, who knows?

alphaelite7
01-17-10, 10:04 AM
Alright, thanks for the info. Going to try and clarify this with the recruiter.

ZSKI
01-20-10, 10:20 AM
Its the rotation, was supposed to be my senior year and im in Iraq right now pulling the last of the **** out

brian0351
01-20-10, 01:16 PM
Well if finishing college is more important to you than the Marines. I would wait until you got out of college. There is no telling as to what is going to happen in the world in the next 6 years, so there is NO way for someone to say that you will or will not be activated.

itzs4m
01-21-10, 07:48 AM
i agree with brian0351, if you're that concerned with finishing school, finish college first then maybe go to OCS after.

i'm in school as well, my unit is due to go in the next year or two, but i'm finishing up this year.

polizei
01-21-10, 11:15 AM
I did 1 semester (really two quarters) of school, then joined..and now I'm back in. Just depends on what you want to do. I knew 100% I did NOT want to be an officer, so I chose enlisted. Just depends what YOU want.