PDA

View Full Version : Cross Dominance problems

Aurelius33
01-14-10, 11:40 PM
Hello again Marines!
I have yet another question and since you have all been so helpful with my previous inquiries I figured you may be able to give me some advice on this one. I am right handed but slightly left eye dominant. It's not that I can't keep my right eye open when I close my left, it just seems I am straining a bit and not getting as good a view as when I do it with my left. I am worried this will affect my marksmanship.

I am wondering if there are any Marines out there who have/had this problem and if they could let me know what steps they have taken to improve it. I don't think I would feel comfortable shooting lefty and I would like to do as well as possible on the rifle range. Thanks in advance for any responses!

Komenko
01-14-10, 11:47 PM
this is a tough one, usually when a right handed shooter is left eye dominate they will have to learn how to shoot left handed. but since your only slightly left eye dominate, go get your eyes checked and see if you need glasses! usually a stonger prescription will work to even it out. but if you have trouble shooting right handed you can always try going left handed.

Aurelius33
01-15-10, 01:01 AM
That's good to know that it should work itself out. I do have glasses but it is probably time I updated my prescription. Thanks for the input Sergeant!

NCOPOWER
01-15-10, 01:07 AM
You want to get a good prescription before you go to boot. Trust me.

Tookie22
01-15-10, 01:53 AM
I was right handed shooter and left eye dominant too. Accuracy is key and your PMI will most likely encourage you to chamge to left handed. It felt awkward at first but at the end of grass week, you will have put so much time snapping in you will be used to shooting left handed with your rifle. Make sure you listen to Sgt too. If you can get the "issue" fixed before bootcamp the easier marksmanship might be for you.

stein07
01-15-10, 06:21 AM
I'm extremely right eye dominant, and I shared your fears prior to boot. Know that it will be okay as long as you listen to your PMI and coach and do what you are told.

When you get there, make darn sure your glasses are good to go. If not, tell someone and they will change them. Don't wait until you get to the range to tell someone. Tell your PMI and coach your situation if you have trouble. They will make it work.

0331 2 0369
01-15-10, 08:22 AM
There has been some good advice given here already but something else you might want to try...... Does anyone in your family own a rifle? Or any of your friends? If so, go out in the country and try shooting both left and right handed. See what works best for you now. Might not work best for you at bootcamp but it will give you a descent starting point.

Aurelius33
01-15-10, 10:23 AM
There has been some good advice given here already but something else you might want to try...... Does anyone in your family own a rifle? Or any of your friends? If so, go out in the country and try shooting both left and right handed. See what works best for you now. Might not work best for you at bootcamp but it will give you a descent starting point.

Thanks for all of the advice, Marines!

My brother has a few rifles, so I will go try and see what feels comfortable. Unfortunately, there's no open country near me here in the heart of Jacksonville so I will probably just practice holding it in my back yard. :) Don't worry though, I've never shot before so I won't develop any "bad habits" that need correction.

Quinbo
01-15-10, 10:38 AM
From a coaching point of view there is nothing more amusing than watching a left eye dominant shooter try to shoot right handed. They kinda hold their head like they are looking off into the sunset and cant the rifle so they can see the sights with their off eye. Mind boggleing twisting and turning to try and defy the teachings of true marksmanship.

Zulu 36
01-15-10, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all of the advice, Marines!

My brother has a few rifles, so I will go try and see what feels comfortable. Unfortunately, there's no open country near me here in the heart of Jacksonville so I will probably just practice holding it in my back yard. :) Don't worry though, I've never shot before so I won't develop any "bad habits" that need correction.

There are several indoor ranges in the Jax area that will allow you to shoot .22 rifles. A .22 rifle will tell you all you need to know about your cross-dominance, you don't need to shoot an elephant gun to find out. Don't do a lot of shooting or other rifle "practice." Get your new glasses first too.

Being a former police firearms instructor, this is an issue we confronted regularly. With pistols, cross-eye dominance is not as big of a deal as you can move the pistol a little more to the other side and move your head a little to meet the sights. Problem solved.

For long guns, it was better for most people to learn to shoot with the long-gun on the dominant eye side.

However, I do know guys who are left-eye dominant and shoot quite well with long guns right handed. They just learned little tricks that worked for them. But they had extensive military and police shooting training and practice to develop their tricks. You don't. Leave it to the PMIs.

Aurelius33
01-15-10, 08:06 PM
There are several indoor ranges in the Jax area that will allow you to shoot .22 rifles. A .22 rifle will tell you all you need to know about your cross-dominance, you don't need to shoot an elephant gun to find out. Don't do a lot of shooting or other rifle "practice." Get your new glasses first too.

Being a former police firearms instructor, this is an issue we confronted regularly. With pistols, cross-eye dominance is not as big of a deal as you can move the pistol a little more to the other side and move your head a little to meet the sights. Problem solved.

For long guns, it was better for most people to learn to shoot with the long-gun on the dominant eye side.

However, I do know guys who are left-eye dominant and shoot quite well with long guns right handed. They just learned little tricks that worked for them. But they had extensive military and police shooting training and practice to develop their tricks. You don't. Leave it to the PMIs.

Awesome. Thank you very much for the advice Sergeant! Are you from the Jacksonville area?

Zulu 36
01-15-10, 08:11 PM
Awesome. Thank you very much for the advice Sergeant! Are you from the Jacksonville area?

I've live near Crescent City, south of Jax in Putnam County.