PDA

View Full Version : Another vision question..

uphigh
01-14-10, 05:44 PM
Hello, I have a pretty specific question about my eyes..

I am currently an enlisted flyer with the ANG, on flight-status and hold a Class III flying phyisical. I'm a civilian pilot as well. I recently finished college, and am very interested in flying for the Marines, however I have Optic Nerve Drusen. My vision is 20/15 (better than 20/20) in both eyes uncorrected, with perfect depth perception/color vision ect...Would this be a disqualifying condition for a Marine Class I Flight physical?

If it is possible to have a flight doc weight in on this for me, it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Lisa 23
01-14-10, 06:23 PM
Without coming across as a smart a$$, you took the time to make a post, now please take the time to fill out ALL of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking to. :thumbup:
You may also want to read the rules in the poolee forum.

uphigh
01-14-10, 06:26 PM
I have had no success through recruiters in trying to get this answered, and don't have the means to call up a Marine Flight Doc, so if anyone can put me in contact with someone that can help, it would help me out. Thanks!!

Lisa 23
01-14-10, 06:27 PM
No profile, no answers. Maybe if you take the time to fill out ALL of your profile, Marines may come along and answer your questions.

Lisa 23
01-14-10, 06:42 PM
Hope this info helps you out.......

Vision Requirements to Become a Military Pilot/Navigator

Navy and Marine Corps

The Navy and the Marine Corps use the same standards (The Marines do not have their own medical department. They use the Navy for all medical procedures and standards). Navy Pilots must pass a Class I Flying Physical (http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm). To become a pilot in the Navy or Marine Corps, an applicant's uncorrected vision can be no worse than 20/40 (correctable to 20/20) in each eye. Once flight training begins, vision can deteriorate to no worse than 20/100 (correctable to 20/20) in each eye. After flight training graduation, if the eyesite deteriorates worse than 20/200 (must be correctable to 20/20), the pilot will require a waiver for carrier operations. If the vision deteriorates past 20/400 (correctable to 20/20), the pilot is restricted to aircraft with dual controls (ie, aircraft with co-pilots).

For Navigators (called "NFOs" or "Navy Flight Officers"), there is no vision requirement to enter flight training. However, the Navigator's vision must be correctable to 20/20 and there are limits on refraction. Refraction must be less than or equal to plus or minus 8.00 sphere in any meridian and less than or equal to minus 3.00 cylinder. No more than 3.50 anisometropia. After flight training, to continue on flight status there is no limit on refraction for NFOs. No waivers are authorized for NFO applicants who exceed these refraction limits.

Normal color vision is required for both NFOs and pilots. Normal depth perception is required for pilots and pilot applicants.
The Navy allows laser eye surgery, both for current pilots and NFOs, and for pilot/NFO applicants, if they apply for, and are accepted to participate in the Navy's on-going study about laser eye surgery for aviators.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/pilotvision.htm

Also, there are no MEPs doctors on this site, or flight doctors. If you need a MEPs doctor to answer your questions, then you're going to have to get in contact with a recruiting office, and they may be able to direct you to talk to a doctor at MEPs.

Quinbo
01-14-10, 06:43 PM
Are you 20/15 L & R because an eye doctor said you are or because you can read them tiny little letters at the bottom of the eye chart at the DMV? If an eye doctor said you are then what's to worry?

uphigh
01-14-10, 06:47 PM
I know I'm 20/15 because I'm a flyer, so I've been through the ringer on flight physicals and eye exams. As a class III flyer right now, I have no problems-- My concern is if the Marines screen for Drusen, and if so, is it a waiverable condition for a class I Flight physical?

Lisa 23
01-14-10, 06:55 PM
In my opinion, your questions need to be answered by a doctor at MEPs, and again, there are no doctors from MEPs on this site. The Marines here don't know if a doctor at MEPs will grant you a waiver or not. The Marines here can only offer advice on your situation and point you in a specific direction, that's all.

uphigh
01-14-10, 06:56 PM
I know there isn't any flight docs on here, but due do the specfic nature of my question-- I'm looking for some way to talk to a current Marine pilot, or someone who could put in me contact with a Marine Flight Doc. MEPS docs probably won't know, and the waiver will not come from MEPs- I am already in the service, and already a flyer, so for me, going through MEPS again is taking a step backwards...

Lisa 23
01-14-10, 07:02 PM
As far as I know, there are no flight pilots who frequent this site.

And if you're already in the service, it would help the Marines here answer your questions better if you provide some info on that in your profile.

sparkie
01-14-10, 07:06 PM
You are a boom operator already in service as a flier with messed up eyes, looking for someone who ain't here, wanting to be a Marine pilot with no questions about being an Officer???? Is that you Spunkie??

I smell smoke.

Quinbo
01-14-10, 07:06 PM
After trying to school myself on what the heck drusen is I have given myself a headache.

A few other venues or searches you might try would be navy forums. You might get lucky and run across a flight surgeon. I'm at a loss to offer any real positive answers.

On the enlisted side and probably most doctors offices have a questionaire you fill out before the process even begins. It's a long list of questions about broken bones and herpes, and diabetes, and all kinds of stuff. I can imagine the pilot screening form and physical would be even longer list of questions. If drusen or family history of drusen is on the list then answer yes and move on. It will be in their court at that point. You won't know unless you have tried.

Even though I've filled out quite a few of such questionaires (not pilot but others), I never memorized one.

Best of luck to you!

uphigh
01-14-10, 07:20 PM
Thanks for help Bulkyker- I hear ya, drusen is a rare condition and its one of those things that some kind of a specalist will have to make the call .....Just to clear things up, I'm Boomer in the Air Guard. Theres nothing 'messed up' with my vision-again I have 20/15 uncorrected L&R and yes, I know in the Marines I would be an officer first, aviator second. I was simply hoping there would be a pilot somewhere on this forum who could steer me in the right direction since they deal with flight docs on a continual basis---being a flyer, we have a different process to go through as far as waivers, docs, and medical issues in general. I'll give the Navy a shot..

Quinbo
01-14-10, 07:42 PM
From my readings it is extraordinairilly rare for individuals less than 40 years of age and less rare in senior citizens. I've also read that if you have it at a young age you need to start shopping for a seeing eye dog and a white cane in your near future.

uphigh
01-14-10, 08:03 PM
Ya, its a rare deal, but actually there is no way to statistically determine whether a person will or will not develop vision problems as a result of drusen. The eye doc I saw told me that given my current physical state, that I would most likley never develop a problem. I was literally put through about a dozen different eye tests to see if there were any red flags anywhere in my vision- and there was not. There are military pilots actively flying with this condition- but most had the condition diagnosed after having been through pilot training. Once a pilot has his wings, almost anything is waiverable-but since I am on the outside looking in, getting into pilot training will most likely require a waiver, so that is where I am at....if I have the stats/scores to qualify, will I get a waiver....

Lisa 23
01-14-10, 08:14 PM
The Marines here can't tell you if you will get a waiver or not. That's up to the doctors to decide, not us.

uphigh
01-14-10, 08:30 PM
Yes, I know only a flight doc and answer this.....so if any docs/pilots read this or if anyone out there knows a doc/pilot, please let me know!