PDA

View Full Version : Guadalcanal Memorial Service 8-7-03

jmwills
08-26-03, 08:55 AM
Sixty one years later, a son finally makes the journey to the place that shaped his Dad's life. I would like to share my remarks at the Memorial Service with you brvae men:

Sixty-one years ago this morning, thousands of young Americans were being readied to land on beachheads that would forever change their lives. Among these young men was my Father.

Because these young men were not battle hardened veterans there were many who doubted their determination and resolve. They were wrong. For you see, they were veterans of the Great American Depression of the 1930’s. For the most part, they had grown up with little or no material possessions and now they were being asked to make a great sacrifice. Every one of these young men sacrificed a great deal, far too many made the ultimate sacrifice.

In America, we call these young men and women of this era, “Our Greatest Generation.” For without them, the world as we know it, would not exist today. Much has been written about these young men and much has been forgotten. But for those sons and daughters of this generation, we owe our very existence.

This small island known as Guadalcanal has a special place in the historical records and hearts of the United Sates Marine Corps, for this is the place where the Marines earned their reputation as an elite fighting force.

Some six to eight weeks ago on its way home from the war in Iraq, instead of sailing directly home from Australia, the officers and enlisted men of the First Marine Division requested and were given permission to sail north through The Slot.

They passed unannounced within 3000 meters of your coastline so they could get a glimpse of this place called Guadalcanal. The Marines hold this place in reverence and it will live forever within the hearts and souls of The Corps. You are not forgotten.

To the descendents of the Islanders who helped our fathers in this struggle, we will forever be in your debt. Thank you for helping bring them home alive.

In closing, I would ask that God continue to bless our Armed Forces as they continue the struggle against oppression and in particular the Marine Corps and the First Marine Division and may God continue to bless America.

arney
08-26-03, 09:55 AM
I'm looking for anyone that was in the 3rd Div 12th Marines and or with PLT 277 San Diego, Ca. 1942-1945. I have pictures from the South Pacific

jmwills
08-26-03, 10:20 AM
Can't help you there. My Dad was in M-3-5 1st Division.

arney
10-24-03, 08:54 AM
I have pictures of Guadacanal, Guam, Iwo Jima and others of campains in South Pacific.