PDA

View Full Version : Parental Consent

usmcdjcs1ssy
01-13-10, 11:45 PM
Hello Marines,
I am currently a Junior in high school, however have so many credits and 32 college credits that I will be graduating next January. I am planning to sign my papers in June of this year, however I have a few questions regarding this.

I will only be 17 at the time of my enlistment into DEP so I understand that I will need consent from both of my parents, I currently live with my mother in Alaska and my father lives back home in Florida. So how do I get both parents to sign my papers? My other question is I have Alopecia Areata which is a very uncommon hair loss disorder, however I have spoken to a recruiter and this is all at the MEPS doctors disgretion. So how long after I sign my papers will I be able to ship to MEPS, to receive my physical and find out wether or not will I be able to pursue my dream of becoming a Marine.

Sorry for the long post, however this has really been bothering me and I would like to get some input on my situation.

Thank You in advance for all of your responses.:)

Sgt Leprechaun
01-14-10, 02:55 AM
If your dad will sign the papers, you might consider just good ole Fedex or Express mail back and forth. That's probably the easiest and most simple way to get it done. He might have to have a notary (or the local recruiter) witness the signature, but otherwise it really shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Good luck!

Phantom Blooper
01-14-10, 07:23 AM
My other question is I have Alopecia Areata which is a very uncommon hair loss disorder, however I have spoken to a recruiter and this is all at the MEPS doctors disgretion.

If the MEPS doctors agree to let you enlist in the Marine Corps....think on the bright side....on how much money you will save in the fleet on haircuts.:evilgrin:

slimmy07
01-14-10, 02:28 PM
If your dad will sign the papers, you might consider just good ole Fedex or Express mail back and forth. That's probably the easiest and most simple way to get it done. He might have to have a notary (or the local recruiter) witness the signature, but otherwise it really shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Good luck!

Don't worry about your fathers signature kid, your recruiter or his/her NCOIC will handle that. In a nutshell they will get into contact with a nearby recruiter in Florida and your dad will meet with the recruiter to sign the paper. Then the recruiter in Florida will turn it in to the MEPS in Florida to confirm the signature and send it out to your MEPS. It should not hold you up one bit. I have done a few os these on both ends when I was on recruiting duty.

usmcdjcs1ssy
01-14-10, 06:29 PM
Thanks Marines,
For your replies i just want some insight on my situation.
I was also wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to improve my flexed arm hang time, as I have reached 45 secs and have hit a brick wall.

Lisa 23
01-14-10, 06:35 PM
What used to help me in boot camp to increase my time on the flexed arm hang was off the wall pushups. I know it may sound funny, but it worked for me. I went to boot camp doing around 25 seconds on the arm hang. After about 3 weeks, my bunkie and I were doing off the wall pushups during our 1 hour free time at night, and in no time, I was maxing the arm hang. Give it a try....what do you have to lose.
Best of luck to you! :thumbup:

usmcdjcs1ssy
01-15-10, 12:12 AM
Thank You Ma'am for your help, I will definitely try that I did those while wrestling, so I know exactly what you are talking about.

brian0351
01-15-10, 01:02 AM
You need both Parents to sign? I thought it was only the primary custodian?

usmcdjcs1ssy
01-17-10, 08:04 PM
WMarine
After thinking about it there are many variations to the wall pushup. So I was wondering are you refering to the one were you put your feet up on the wall and do push ups that way or are you referring to a different variation.

Thank you Ma'am for your help.

Lisa 23
01-17-10, 09:01 PM
My bad, they are actually called wall pushups, but this is the type of off the wall pushups I was talking about..............and you're welcome!

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/KL/wall-push-up-de.jpg

Vandrel
01-17-10, 10:39 PM
Don't worry about your fathers signature kid, your recruiter or his/her NCOIC will handle that.

Yup yup

When I joined at 17 I beleive the local RSS near my father's house went out and had him sign then faxed the docs to my recruiter.

usmcdjcs1ssy
01-18-10, 12:34 AM
Thank You again to all Marines that took the time to read and aswer my post. I am going to call a recruiter, to figure out everything else. As I live, 4 plus hours away from the closest recruiter.

:)