PDA

View Full Version : Possible Vision Waiver?

USMCsoon2b
01-13-10, 10:00 PM
I thought I'd shoot another question to the Marines and possibly recruiters on here. So here's my problem. My vision uncorrected is 20/40 R 20/60 L , but corrected is only 20/25 in both. (this is according to MEPs) I would like an AG contract but the flight physical requires 20/20 corrected. Is it possible to get a waiver? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Zach

Lisa 23
01-13-10, 10:07 PM
Hope this info helps you out.......

Vision Requirements to Become a Military Pilot/Navigator

Navy and Marine Corps

The Navy and the Marine Corps use the same standards (The Marines do not have their own medical department. They use the Navy for all medical procedures and standards). Navy Pilots must pass a Class I Flying Physical (http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm). To become a pilot in the Navy or Marine Corps, an applicant's uncorrected vision can be no worse than 20/40 (correctable to 20/20) in each eye. Once flight training begins, vision can deteriorate to no worse than 20/100 (correctable to 20/20) in each eye. After flight training graduation, if the eyesite deteriorates worse than 20/200 (must be correctable to 20/20), the pilot will require a waiver for carrier operations. If the vision deteriorates past 20/400 (correctable to 20/20), the pilot is restricted to aircraft with dual controls (ie, aircraft with co-pilots).

For Navigators (called "NFOs" or "Navy Flight Officers"), there is no vision requirement to enter flight training. However, the Navigator's vision must be correctable to 20/20 and there are limits on refraction. Refraction must be less than or equal to plus or minus 8.00 sphere in any meridian and less than or equal to minus 3.00 cylinder. No more than 3.50 anisometropia. After flight training, to continue on flight status there is no limit on refraction for NFOs. No waivers are authorized for NFO applicants who exceed these refraction limits.

Normal color vision is required for both NFOs and pilots. Normal depth perception is required for pilots and pilot applicants.
The Navy allows laser eye surgery, both for current pilots and NFOs, and for pilot/NFO applicants, if they apply for, and are accepted to participate in the Navy's on-going study about laser eye surgery for aviators.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/pilotvision.htm

TunTvrnWarrior
01-13-10, 10:08 PM
Zach, ask the recruiter if you can do Lasik and what the time frame after recovery would be before you enlist. In the meantime, go to junior college and get a couple of years under your belt. I would suggest checking with Embry Riddle University on what classes to concentrate on in college. You can finish up your degree while on Active Duty thru Embry Riddle and go onto bigger and better things in Aviation with the Corps.

Lisa 23
01-13-10, 10:16 PM
Refractive Eye Surgery

This includes (but is not limited to) a history of lamellar surgury, penetrating keratoplasty, LASEK, and LASIK.
Radial Keratotomy and Astigmatic Keratotomy is disqualifying.
LASEK and LASIK is disqualifying if any of the following conditions are present:

(1) Pre-surgury refractive error in either eye exceeds + 8.00 to - 8.00 diopters.

(2) At least 6 months recovery period has not occurred between last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and MEPS medical examination.

(3) There have been complications, and/or medications or ophthalmic solutions are required.

(4) Post-surgical refraction in each eye is not stable as demonstrated by (a) At least two separate refractions at least one month apart, the most recent of which demonstrates more than +/- 0.50 diopters difference for spherical vision and/or more than +/- 0.25 diopters for cylinder vision; and (b) At least 3 months recovery has not occurred between the last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and one of the comparison refractions.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/eyes.htm

USMCsoon2b
01-13-10, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys but I was talking about becoming a Crew Chief not a pilot. My mistake for not clarifying. But are the answers still the same?