PDA

View Full Version : Seen "Hurt Locker"??

DocGreek
01-13-10, 09:19 PM
Good evening everyone! I just finished watching this movie, for the second time. Don't know how accurate the details were, but......getting up at 0-dark-thirty and playing war for the day, then going back to FRESH water showers with HOT water and soap, tip back a fifth of JACK, and sleeping on a cot....with A/C.....
Really NOT sure what to make of it all. What do YOU think?????.......:evilgrin:

Vandrel
01-13-10, 10:19 PM
Have not seen it, saw a preview on TV the other day. From your description it sounds like a craptastic failure.

Although it seems to be based on a Army EOD squad. Anything seems to be possible with the Army these days. Yeah, it's possible to "obtain" alcohol over there, but it's something that the average joe doesn't have access to... got to have a buddy in HET or trust a local to buy it for you.

The A/C and fresh water thing is kinda, eh, in some places of Iraq very true. Large camps over there are freaking rediculous. Lucky for me I got the short end of the stick for 7 months in 2008 and got none of that while living out in town inside the stupid city the entire deployment.... yay... not.

They should make more movies about the 2003 invasion, that's where the stories are. Nothing can compare to a man's reeking 4 month unwashed nuts sitting inside of a NBC MOPP suit.

MLMonk
01-13-10, 11:18 PM
Have not seen it, saw a preview on TV the other day. From your description it sounds like a craptastic failure.

Although it seems to be based on a Army EOD squad. Anything seems to be possible with the Army these days. Yeah, it's possible to "obtain" alcohol over there, but it's something that the average joe doesn't have access to... got to have a buddy in HET or trust a local to buy it for you.

The A/C and fresh water thing is kinda, eh, in some places of Iraq very true. Large camps over there are freaking rediculous. Lucky for me I got the short end of the stick for 7 months in 2008 and got none of that while living out in town inside the stupid city the entire deployment.... yay... not.

They should make more movies about the 2003 invasion, that's where the stories are. Nothing can compare to a man's reeking 4 month unwashed nuts sitting inside of a NBC MOPP suit.

Well if you've seen Generation Kill, it's kind of like that.

I just watched that movie, too. I didn't think it was all that bad, but then again I haven't been deployed yet so I don't see everything that you all do. One thing I thought was weird, is that they were calling the Sgt 1st Class by his first/last name, while he was calling the others by their ranks, yet he was higher then them, go figure.

brian0351
01-14-10, 01:47 AM
Doc, this isn't Vietnam...

All major US bases in Iraq have showers, chowhalls, AC and electricity. The chow halls are stocked with every major soda, snack, ice cream, pizza and pastry. There are specially made trailers for Burger King, Pizza hut, Taco bell and KFC. All the luxuries of home.

Currently here at my base...squads will go out on patrol for no more than a couple of hours and are back for a day or two off while the other platoons patrol.

The only place where it can be "Hard Living" are some of the FoBs in Afghanistan. Some of the smaller FoBs can only be reached by Helo, so they still have burn-****ters, **** tubes and wood fire heated gravity showers. But do to their remote locations, alot of those are being evacuated (Google "FOB Keating")

As for Hurt Locker...it hurts my soul that the movie is everyones 2009 best movie pick! I work with EOD and they say it has the same credibility as Top Gun did for fighter pilots!

TinDragon
01-14-10, 06:02 AM
Top Gun isn't realistic? Say it isn't so!

Supersquishy
01-14-10, 06:26 AM
Well if you've seen Generation Kill, it's kind of like that.

Watched a segment of Generation Kill from netflix, needless to say I changed DVD. :thumbdown

Hurt locker is on the list on netflix, I hope its not near as crappy as GK.

brian0351
01-14-10, 08:08 AM
I don't know why everyone hates on Generation Kill...I thought it was a damn good show.

erased
01-14-10, 09:21 AM
I watched Hurt Locker last night. I think it is a pretty good movie as long as you don't let being in the military influence your opinion too much. Some of the details and actions seemed within the realm of possibility (especially for the Army), but highly unlikely. Are there really EOD teams rolling around, doing their own thing, in three-man teams?

These guys were on Victory so they have just as much, if not more, luxury than anyone else.

FistFu68
01-14-10, 10:54 AM
:evilgrin: Them there MOPP Suits get a little uncomphy Do they Vandrel how much weight did You loose? Chit Marine after all that time Your Lucky your nut's didn't Rot off or Youd be in a Real Hurt locker Marine.Thanks 4 Your Service and Welcome Home Marine S/F :beer: :thumbup:

Vandrel
01-14-10, 05:35 PM
:evilgrin: Them there MOPP Suits get a little uncomphy

Ah **** man, those things were awful. Not only was it balls hot outside in mid-day but it was topped off by sitting inside a Amtrack driving around with all that crap on all the way to Baghdad with a silly ass gasmask floppying around on your hip.

rickyracer
01-15-10, 02:52 AM
I have seen it or heard of it.

Marine1955
01-15-10, 03:02 AM
First of all god doc change you avatar Christmas is over LMOL.. anyway where can you find this movie at ? can you rent it from a DVD store or just on line only. Thanks and Doc just chitting you Semper Fi.

Vandrel
01-15-10, 06:29 AM
First of all god doc change you avatar Christmas is over

hahaha I was gonna ask why he had no shirt on but I figured I'd leave that one alone :D

DocGreek
03-07-10, 11:19 PM
I told you so!!! BEST PICTURE, and BEST DIRECTOR!!!! Won a total of 6 OSCARS!!
I started this thread in January, and I felt that it was a film to remember. I now think that "The Pacific", will win MANY awards next year....EMMY'S!!
MAYBE....Tom Hanks will do a tribute series, or film about Viet Nam....we'll see.
SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek....:iwo:

rheinmark187
03-08-10, 10:25 PM
I saw it the weekend it came out, in the aisle in front of me there was a father (retired) and son both Navy EOD. Both said a lot of it seemed improbable or out and out ridiculous and I have to agree with my very, very limited knowledge of EOD in Iraq. BUT we also said it was a fantastic and entertaining movie. I don't know if it was Best Picture worthy, but it's a weak crop this year.

Rooger
03-09-10, 06:04 PM
As for Hurt Locker...it hurts my soul that the movie is everyones 2009 best movie pick! I work with EOD and they say it has the same credibility as Top Gun did for fighter pilots!

I Was A Combat Engineer and EOD from 79-89 and I totally agree!:thumbup:

Th3 Maelstr0m
03-09-10, 10:13 PM
First off props need to be given to the entire EOD community. that being said, I thought the movie was good, but only in the way that rambo is good (i.e. badass but completely unrealistic).
The parts that were a little far out by any standards (SPOILERS):
*sneaking off the base with nothing but a hoody and a 9 mil, then coming back on & getting past the front gate by telling them where some ***** houses are
*clearing out a part of town w/ only 3 dudes, despite having an entire grunt company behind them (each guy goes down a particular alley alone, one gets captured, shot, then saved... & the team leader still keeps his billet)
*getting plastered with your junior enlisted (even if it is the Army, i doubt a E-6 is gonna get smashed with his E3)
*my favorite: Army EOD saving Brit SAS's ass by taking a sniper rifle thats not BZO'd to them then merc'ing a insurgent who is in a dead sprint from like 1000+meters off. im going to go out on a limb & say the SAS are not gonna turn pansy when bullets fly, then let the Army EOD save the day.

the best part of the movie was when he got home from Iraq & was grocery shopping. im sure most of us who came home can relate in one way or another to how he felt.

DocGreek
03-09-10, 11:02 PM
:evilgrin:....GENTLEMEN....It's a FOOKIN' movie....HELLO!!
Any of you young SQUIRTS ever watched ANY movies made in the 40's, or 50's????
Want to pick on authenticity of a MOVIE???? WTF???? If you want REAL accuracy, watch a FOOKIN' DOCUMENTARY!!!!
STOP PICKING ON HOLLYWOOD AND THE "FANTASY" WORLD!!!!.....DUH!!!

Th3 Maelstr0m
03-09-10, 11:09 PM
Good evening everyone! I just finished watching this movie, for the second time. Don't know how accurate the details were, but......getting up at 0-dark-thirty and playing war for the day, then going back to FRESH water showers with HOT water and soap, tip back a fifth of JACK, and sleeping on a cot....with A/C.....

i was just responding to the question YOU asked ;)
Semper Fi

Riven37
03-10-10, 08:49 AM
I've seen it myself and it was a very good movie however, it is based on actual accounts Mark Boal a Journalist embedded in a EOD unit in Iraq in 2004 is based on watch he saw, and what the unit went through.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hurt_Locker

Th3 Maelstr0m
03-10-10, 08:59 AM
http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/hurt-locker-sued-over-stolen-identity-do-not-publish-14850

Old Marine
03-10-10, 09:15 AM
A movie is a movie. So be it.

jstkiknit
03-11-10, 06:22 PM
haha i loved it and the snatch is coming in like waves!!!

FistFu68
03-11-10, 07:00 PM
:evilgrin: Have not seen the Movie but watched the Academy Awards when the Director said this was for all the Brave Men and Women that were fighting for our Country And Praised them.Hell when is the Last time in Hollyweird has that happened? Made Me feel very Proud of being an American and a Veteran!!! :iwo:

egbutler1
03-11-10, 07:44 PM

Pretty accurate for Iraq Doc, when I went there my section of Marines we did 12 hr combat patrols mounted cause we were a CAATeam but the day lasted prolly 18 hrs w/ all the humvee maintance we had to do each day after patrol. Yeah we had showers and portajohns and lived in simi truck containers with a ac unit that worked some time w/ beds. The other half of our 7 month deployment we lived in tents but still had showers. All the water was sun heated so it wasn't really hot. Never got to drink but people did. Nothing like nam most we spent out in away from the fob was 2 weeks, normally it was just the days work with rotating patrols so the AO was never uncovered. But we always went on counter ied missions that lasted 3-5 days, but nothing like humping threw the bush for a month. Semper FI!