PDA

View Full Version : Potential Icelandic recruit.

Vitruvian
01-12-10, 07:25 AM
Good day/evening Marines,

I'd like to thank you in advance for reading this and taking the time to reply.
With that being said you'll probably notice if you look at my profile that I'm not from the U.S. but from a small town in Iceland called Keflavík, where the U.S. army base used to be. So I got a little taste of how military life is, also with my sister married an SSgt in the Air Force I got to hang around a few other bases. I've always wanted to join the military but I kept pushing it aside because I always thought it was impossible to join since I'm not a U.S. citizen. Until I came across executive order 13269 which I've been reading a lot about and how non-citizens join the Marine Corps. So my question is this, if I were to go to the U.S. can I join immediately? From what I understand you only have to start the green card process to be eligible for recruitment but I haven't been able to confirm it, all this legaleze gives me a headache.

Thanks again,
Bjarni Veigar.

Zulu 36
01-12-10, 08:46 AM
Good day/evening Marines,

I'd like to thank you in advance for reading this and taking the time to reply.
With that being said you'll probably notice if you look at my profile that I'm not from the U.S. but from a small town in Iceland called Keflavík, where the U.S. army base used to be. So I got a little taste of how military life is, also with my sister married an SSgt in the Air Force I got to hang around a few other bases. I've always wanted to join the military but I kept pushing it aside because I always thought it was impossible to join since I'm not a U.S. citizen. Until I came across executive order 13269 which I've been reading a lot about and how non-citizens join the Marine Corps. So my question is this, if I were to go to the U.S. can I join immediately? From what I understand you only have to start the green card process to be eligible for recruitment but I haven't been able to confirm it, all this legaleze gives me a headache.

Thanks again,
Bjarni Veigar.

Unfortunately, you have to already be a permanent resident of the US (green card holder) before you can try to enlist in any branch of the US military, Marines included. You also have to be fluent in English, both spoken and written. Your written English looks fine (better than many Americans). If your spoken English is just as good, you're fine in that department.

This requirement is not new and has been around a long time. I believe the Executive Order you refer to allows non-citizen members of the US military to be fast-tracked toward citizenship if they apply.

Is your sister still married to the American? If so, they may be able to sponsor you into the US and speed things up a bit. If they are willing to sponsor you, go to the US embassy and speak to the people in the visa section and find out what you need to do.

Once you establish yourself as a permanent resident here in the States, then you make a trip to the local Marine recruiter and start talking business.

jinelson
01-12-10, 08:55 AM
Bjarni it is my understanding that executive order 13269 signed by President George Bush in 2002 only covered aliens that were serving in the Global War On Terrorism at that time but did indeed expedite green card processing and even citizenship. I hate to be the bearor of bad news but I dont think Im incorrect. I will quote the order below for you.

Jim

Executive Order 13269 of July 3, 2002
Expedited Naturalization of Aliens and Noncitizen Nationals Serving in An Active-Duty Status During the War on Terrorism

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1440) (the "Act"), and solely in order to provide expedited naturalization for aliens and noncitizen nationals serving in an active-duty status in the Armed Forces of the United States during the period of the war against terrorists of global reach, it is hereby ordered as follows:

For the purpose of determining qualification for the exception from the usual requirements for naturalization, I designate as a period in which the Armed Forces of the United States were engaged in armed conflict with a hostile foreign force the period beginning on September 11, 2001. Such period will be deemed to terminate on a date designated by future Executive Order. Those persons serving honorably in active-duty status in the Armed Forces of the United States, during the period beginning on September 11, 2001, and terminating on the date to be so designated, are eligible for naturalization in accordance with the statutory exception to the naturalization requirements, as provided in section 329 of the Act. Nothing contained in this order is intended to affect, nor does it affect, any other power, right, or obligation of the United States, its agencies, officers, employees, or any other person under Federal law or the law of nations.

[signed:] George W. Bush

THE WHITE HOUSE,
July 3, 2002.

Vitruvian
01-12-10, 10:52 AM
Thank you Zulu 36 and Jinelson for the quick replies,

I'll be heading over to the U.S. Embassy in the near future to ask them about becoming a permanent resident and the process of having my sister sponsor me through it.
I've heard about a few foreigners that have gotten into the military without going the regular time consuming way but I think that's something I'll have to ask a recruiter about the next time I visit.
Since that whole thing will probably take a while it only means I'll have more time to prepare and perfect my PFT score, which is always a good thing.

Thanks again for all the information,
Bjarni Veigar.