PDA

View Full Version : Advice for an older wanna-be?

mdsalern
01-12-10, 05:01 AM
Thank-you for reading my post.

I am currently 28 and interested in joining the Marine Corps. I have visited several recruiters and taken the ASVAB. My scores were as follows: AFQT 98, GT 138, with all subjects over 140.

My physical performance isn't nearly as good, but I have been working toward a perfect PFT and currently could pass 1st class (a requirement my recruiter placed before allowing me to enlist when we first spoke).

Beyond the requirements for enlisting, I have approximately 75 college credit hours and a fixed-wing pilot's license with approximately 400 hours of flight time. I also have a Commercial Driver's License and scuba certification.

I cannot qualify for a security clearance for various reasons and will to obtain a waiver to join. I have been told that obtaining the waiver will not be a problem. I may be able to qualify for one after my first term of enlistment.

I, like most, have their doubts about joining the military. I have been considered joining with an 03 contract. I have been told that the life of a Rifleman is "Long stretches of boredom followed by moments of sheer terror". Amazingly that isn't what concerns me.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is there a field besides 03 that you would recommend? I would like to use the abilities that I have.

2. Not to be a "badge collector", but what opportunities are there to gain additional certifications in the Marine Corps?

3. Are there ways to progress in rank more quickly? I feel that I am already starting behind for my age.

Beyond the questions, any general advice for an older wanna-be helpful. I appreciate any and all advice you give.

brian0351
01-12-10, 06:12 AM
Well your talking to a recruiter, so I'm sure you have alot of answers to your questions, but to add to what you specifically asked.

1) I was an 03 so that's all I know.
2) If you go infantry, you will have NO time for any schooling or certifications of any kind. Even when your not deployed, you spend your weeks (and some weekends) in the field.
3) Be $hit-hot, know your job, know your Marine Corps History, Customs and Procedures, Run a solid PFT and be a good shot. You may be able to pick up a couple of meritorious promotions. However, some MOS's just don't promote often and it's always a crapshoot as to which one because it changes from year to year.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-14-10, 02:39 AM
You will be competing against 18 year olds. If you remember that, you'll be fine. In other words, you'll be the 'old man' and will have to prove you can 'do it'.