PDA

View Full Version : Reserve to Active Duty

pooleewhiting10
01-11-10, 07:18 PM
Hello, my name is Dan Whiting. I am 17 years old. I will be graduating high school in 2 and a half weeks. I am scheduled to leave on my 18th birthday to bootcamp which will be the 22 of feb. I am currently enlisted as a reservist. After realizing i hated college through a program at my highschool i realized i wanted to go active. So my recruiter tried to change my status to active duty while keeping my mos as infantry, but had problems keeping my earlier shipout date due to his co's orders. So he suggested staying in the reserves with my early ship out date and augmenting to active duty after all my training. My question is, what is the time span i will have to wait to swap to active duty from the reserves while keeping my infantry mos?

animal mother
01-11-10, 07:45 PM
I am telling you right now kid, don't do it. BEFORE you go to bootcamp make sure your contract says ACTIVE DUTY on it. The time and effort to go from reservist to active duty is rediculous. Take my advice.....

FattyTheFerret
01-11-10, 07:51 PM
It's a pain in the ass. There are various ways to augment, from IMA billets to ADOS to Active Reserve and others I probably don't know about but none of them are easy as simply asking for it. Sometimes there isn't a reserve unit in the area that has an AR billet available. I don't imagine it happens too often in the grunts but I could be wrong.

Your recruiter may not have all the relevant information regarding the issue. What I would do is contact your future reserve unit and respectfully ask for some advice on the issue.

josephd
01-11-10, 08:13 PM
switch your contract and wait to ship if you have to. I already went through the whole process of augmenting to active duty, it was a pain in the butt and takes months to go through

jinelson
01-11-10, 10:29 PM
Dan you need to complete your profile now! Im giving you an oppritunity use it. Read our rules http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048

Jim

brian0351
01-11-10, 10:46 PM
The switch once your a reservist is a pain in the ass and would probably take longer to get done than if you just waited it out.

You could go Active Reservist but promotions under that program take twice as long.