PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding boots

Jcsmith1
01-11-10, 04:35 PM
I am in an NROTC unit and in need of buying USMC approved boots, but have not recieved a Military ID yet to get onto a base. Does anyone know where I can order used or cheap USMC approved boots online? And what boots do you prefer to run in?

BR34
01-11-10, 05:05 PM
Try ebay for the boots. Just do a search on there. I'd rather not ever run in boots, but whenever I do HAVE to I just wear the same ole boots I use for everyday wear. Actually, I'm still wearing my boot camp boots and have never bought another pair.

polizei
01-11-10, 05:29 PM
I have to ask...why in the world do you need USMC approved boots if you're not a Marine? I'm failing to see how NROTC is requiring USMC approved boots...heck, I'm not even sure I've ever seen anyone besides a corpsman in the Navy wear boots! Can you explain for me please?

Anyway, I would recommend Bates Lights, you should be able to find them online. I don't remember where, but I found them for ~$140 (though I paid $113 on Camp Geiger). They are as light as a shoe, so if you have to run, it makes it MUCH easier.

Edit* And unless you are required to run in boots, I would suggest NOT doing it. It's really not good for your body.

SGT7477
01-11-10, 05:42 PM
Try Sgt. Grit but probably more than you want to pay if he has them.

Jcsmith1
01-11-10, 07:16 PM
Thank you all for your input.

As to why they are supposed to be USMC approved...I am a Marine Option Midshimen, and I'm not 100% sure exactly why, but was told by my squad leader to get them that way. So it does what it's told. I believe they want us to get used to some boots and see what we like before OCS.

bucksgted
01-11-10, 08:08 PM
Sgt. Grit has Bates for like $220.00 (as I recall). I just bought a pair of Bates at Lejeune in December for $202.00 at the MX.

01-11-10, 08:39 PM
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=bates+usmc&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Jcsmith1
01-11-10, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know how Bates sizes compare to Belleville's sizes?

polizei
01-12-10, 11:48 AM
Not sure, as I've never worn those...but compared to Nike's, New Blance, and Steve Madden, they run about the same size. Typically I wear between an 8-8.5 shoe, my boots are 8.5's. Danner's run a little smaller, so I need a 9.5 in those.

Here are the Bates Lightweights. Remember, I paid $113 on base for these...but it's still worth it. GREAT boots.

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-us/Product.mvc.aspx/10630M/0/G/Footwear/Mens/USMC-Lightweight-DuraShocks-Boot?galleryId=G-F

Oh, and I would have to recommend to stay away from the Bates you get issued in boot camp. Horrible boots...they just suck all around. I hated them!

Jcsmith1
01-12-10, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all the help, and you didn't see I also answered your question as to why I need them to be USMC approved in a previous reply.

Thank you all.

polizei
01-12-10, 04:19 PM
Yea I read that. Still doesn't make sense, but whatever...just do what you need to do! Best of luck.

Smitty Puffs
01-12-10, 05:49 PM
You don't have a choice of what boots you wear when you go to OCS anyway. You get Bates Jungles and Bates ICB's, that's it. Marine Boots are nothing special and their not something you need to get use to. They just have an EGA on the heel, big whoop. Just buy a pair of good combat boots, oakley makes an awesome pair if you are willing to spend the money.

bucksgted
01-13-10, 12:16 AM
Sgt. Grit has Bates for like $220.00 (as I recall). I just bought a pair of Bates at Lejeune in December for $202.00 at the MX.

I must have had a brain fart. I should have said Danners.

I was just looking at the new Grit catalog today, Danners for $199. I did pay $202 for the Danners from Lejeune MX

MLMonk
01-13-10, 04:16 AM
My friends in NROTC too and he told me he gets access to the NEX online website. If that doesn't work, try quanticoboot.com

usmcmech6152
01-15-10, 07:48 AM
If you can get access to any MCX or NEX website you should be able to buy a pair of boots from them. Like stated in the above I would recommend Bates, they are a little bit cheaper, but do the job just as well as Danners.