PDA

View Full Version : A question about Recon

reigninblood
01-10-10, 11:28 PM
Thanks for taking the time to read my question.
I currently have a good job that I love and that pays the bills. However I always dreamed of being a part of an elite unit such as Rangers, Seals, Recon etc...
I decided to join the Marines because everyone calls them the best of the best.
Obviously I am not a Marine yet, I am a poolee who ships out May 10, 2010.
Anyways I told my recruiter I wanted to do Recon. He was looking through the available jobs and told me 0321 wasn't available at the time but 03xx was. He also told me with the 03xx MOS I would be guaranteed to volunteer for the INDOC while at SOI. He said the only difference between these two routes really is that I wouldn't get the bonus after I completed BRC. Personally I don't really care if I get the bonus or not, I just want to go straight from boot camp to ITB, SOI and then volunteer for Recon.
So basically my question is, will I be guaranteed a chance to volunteer for Recon with the 03xx contract while at SOI?
It would suck to not make it through Recon training because you signed the wrong papers and didn't even get a chance to try.
Thanks again for your time.

polizei
01-12-10, 04:00 PM
Now, I'm not infantry, so this MIGHT not be correct. However, IIRC, you are NOT guaranteed anything. I know Marines who had WRITTEN bonuses in their contract, and they've had to FIGHT the Corps to get them.

So, with that said...unless it's in writing, IE you sign a Recon contract, I wouldn't expect to get an Indoc seat. I do believe you can volunteer after SOI though. And, you're going to want a bonus...that's what I thought too, until I heard other Marines getting bonuses. I know it's not about that (certainly wasn't for me) but it's always nice to have extra cash.

And also, keep in mind that if you wash out in Recon, you'll be sent to whatever MOS the Corps needs...at least I believe that's how it works with a Recon contract. Maybe if you wash out as an 03 they'll keep you in the field. Just keep that in mind.

I'm sure another Marine will step in with more advice. Like I said, my information might not be 100% correct, so let other, more experienced Marines chime in.

smoking gunz
01-12-10, 08:21 PM
This has been covered before. But here we go. You not guaranteed a try out unless your contract says you are. You graduate soi with your mos of 11,31,41,41,52. Then take the indoc. If you pass then you will go to brc. If you fail you go to a regular grunt unit with your mos. You wont get another chance for awhile after fleet.

reigninblood
01-13-10, 02:06 AM
Thank you for the information.

zx6rdr
01-13-10, 10:04 AM
If you do sign a guaranteed (try-out) contract and you wash out, you will be sent to a non 03 Mos. Therefore, if you want to be infantry either way it is better to sign the 03XX contract and hope that you get a shot at recon after SOI. *** A little word of advice though; get through boot camp, ITB and then worry about Recon. My guess is that your views on the whole Recon thing will change quite a bit.

StabbyRip
01-14-10, 07:19 AM
Why would they go to the trouble of reclassing you if you've already finished ITB?

Lisa 23
01-14-10, 07:54 AM
Why would they go to the trouble of reclassing you if you've already finished ITB?
If you're talking about the original poster of the thread, he didn't even go to boot camp yet.....10 May, 2010.

polizei
01-14-10, 11:42 AM
Well, it's the Marine Corps...therefore, if it makes sense, it's wrong. No idea why, but we had a contract recon who washed out get sent to MP school.

fs19
01-24-10, 12:37 PM
There is a lot of mis-information on this thread.
First of all, if you join with a UZ-Reconnaissance Enlistment Option- contract, and you do not complete BRC, you will be sent to a grunt unit. The only exception to this is if you get injured and can't perform. Almost all my buddies that washed out went straight to the grunts as an 11. A few were sent back to the "split" in ITB and trained as 31s or 41s then sent to the grunts, but this is pretty rare.

For the OPs question, there is no guarantee you will be screened for Recon in ITB. Some companies are, some aren't. Mine wasn't, but luckily I had the contract. It's just luck of the draw. As far as the bonus, it doesn't matter if you are a UZ or volunteer from ITB, if you complete BRC you get 10 Gs. Everyone re-signs the bonus paperwork right before you graduate. If you want proof, my room mate was a volunteer, got his bonus.

FistFu68
01-24-10, 04:29 PM
:evilgrin: Thay can't Gurantee You Chit,cause You UNQ. out the only place Your Young ass is going is too Mess Duty for your whole Hitch.Or a Fucing Remington Raider!!!Hurry Up @ Wait :beer: :iwo:

AllShallPerishx
01-26-10, 11:50 AM
Fist, I believe, along with your grammar, you just disseminated incorrect information. Okay, thanks.

FistFu68
01-26-10, 12:52 PM
:evilgrin: But you still got the Message wise Man,I've been there done that How about YOU???The only Guarantee they stand by is Maybe they will give You a look See.Do You actually think any Marine that UNQ'S Out is gonna Become a Rifleman much less Recon!!! Intel.Analyst (lmfao)Remington Raider.

AllShallPerishx
01-26-10, 12:59 PM
Well, as for the mess hall duty, that is entirely untrue. You would be faceted into another MOS, but since the completion of ITB is required for the Recon try outs, you will be placed with a grunt unit. Recons training is more strenous than a grunts. Unqualifing for Recon does not mean you cannot perform the required tasks in order to be a grunt, right? How often do Grunts have to hold their breath under water, and all that? Just wondering.

FistFu68
01-26-10, 03:11 PM
:evilgrin: You tell Me Mr.Intel.did You not have Drown Proofing in Your non 0300 Mos out there in Hollywood???:confused: :iwo:

AllShallPerishx
01-26-10, 03:25 PM
Ahhh, ignorance is bliss. 03's are the only Marines who get combat action ribbons, and do honorable things, right? Ego trips, anyone? 0231's can and DO go out with Recon, SEALS, MARSOC, the works. It's a very versatile MOS.

Hanzo
01-26-10, 03:48 PM
Gentlemen,

I don't have a dog in this fight, but might I recommend discussing this over PMs or The Hootch?

FistFu68
01-26-10, 04:11 PM
:evilgrin: Read My Lips Boy "*******" Have "YOU" done anything such as train with SEALS,RECON? Or do You just like too Argue,I've forgotten more in 40 years than Your Smart ass has Learned since You've been in the CORPS.You rate a Combat Action Ribbon War Hero? Stick too typing correctly in Your Air Conditioned office Wannabe because deep down inside You know Dam Well you can't hang with the Big Boys Aka.0300's.No more conversations with You Baby Einstein.Try and stay outta a Body Bag Rambo :scared: :iwo: